1982 Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9

BP85

Hello again, after no progress this weekend due to a few days off in Jersey I couldn't resist getting some stickers on her during my lunch break (working from home again). 

Firstly the Galeria seems to be pretty magical as a gloss coat. Seems to have cured rock hard and the decals were sliding around all over the place making them very easy to position. 

Not all way plain sailing though, I managed to destroy the port fuselage serial number so had to take one from another scheme (still an Aden one and the right colour).

The second screw up was the topside wing roundels; for these I was looking at the wrong instructions and put the just red and blue ones on. Realising my mistake and once they were dry I placed the correct ones over the top. This was a mistake as the blue and white from the underneath roundels are showing through the white parts. Not ideal. 

Aside from the mistakes they have really helped to bring her alive. Just a few more of the fiddly ones to go and then I will add either the matt coat and call her done or add some weathering. I'm not really sure about weathering a cold War jet as all I have built before are WWII props. 

20190122_130821

20190122_130849

20190122_130836

As a side note the postman, for a reason I shall not be explaining to my dear other half, dropped this off today. A quick look in the box and it looks pretty decent quality. 

20190122_123428

Thank you for dropping in. This Hunter is coming awfully close to my first ever finish since resuming the hobby (or is lifestyle more accurate?) last year. 

Ben

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Superb Hunter, those colours and gloss are just right. Definitely worth investing in those aftermarket decals too. 

Yes, very much appreciate you recommending them. The do conform very nicely to what little surface detail their is.  I used a little Micro Set in the process but didn't really have much need for the Micro Sol. I'm probably going to chicken out on the big underwing registration numbers as ideally these would have been cut to shape before I assembled the landing gear, but hey ho. As it is gear down anyway the underside won't be too visible when on display. But yes, we'll all know they're missing! 

Ben

4 minutes ago, DaveWilko said:

A very good recovery there Ben,she looks every inch a 1960's Hunter.

Well done.

Thank you, Dave. I only bought this kit by accident as it was very cheap, this was before I realised that the Hunter is a bit of a 'thing' in the hobby. I can see myself building a few more of these over the coming years. 

Ben

• Like 1

Decal issue aside, the Hunter is looking very nice and as you say 'coming alive'.

23 hours ago, BP85 said:

As a side note the postman, for a reason I shall not be explaining to my dear other half, dropped this off today

...I have the same problem, don't know how it happens really. :shrug:

Stuart