1982 Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9

BP85

Hi BP85,

The kit you're building brings back a lot of memories!!

Now, I don't won't to discourage you but, you could have worked a little bit more on sanding the areas where you have applied the Humbrol filler, and I'm referring to the airframe-wings joints. The filler is still obvious in those areas.

Cheers

Sernak

10 hours ago, Bedders said:

Sounds quite quaint doesn't it. One wonders whether this was an early attempt at an environmental policy or because the country was so hard up and needed to reuse whatever it could!

Nice model by the way. Always liked this kit.

Justin

The reason was that originally as designed the links were jettisoned as well as the cases, but it was found that they were  hitting the bottom of the aircraft as they came out and  doing a lot of damage to the aircraft skin. By collecting them in the sabrinas the problem was solved. The nominal firing rate of a ADEN gun is around 20 rounds per second, so with 4 guns firing  you are looking at around 80 links a second coming out, which is a lot of metal flying around in the airstream under your Hunter!

Selwyn

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bedders said:

Sounds quite quaint doesn't it. One wonders whether this was an early attempt at an environmental policy or because the country was so hard up and needed to reuse whatever it could!

Nice model by the way. Always liked this kit.

Justin

Thanks, Justin. It is indeed a good kit, especially for one three years old than I! 

58 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Hi BP85,

The kit you're building brings back a lot of memories!!

Now, I don't won't to discourage you but, you could have worked a little bit more on sanding the areas where you have applied the Humbrol filler, and I'm referring to the airframe-wings joints. The filler is still obvious in those areas.

Cheers

Sernak

Quite aware and should have spent more time sanding. A lesson for the future. 

Ben 

Not entirely sure what's going on here. The Humbrol Clear seems to have gone cloudy in a couple of places. Could this be due to perhaps using too thick a coat or is there a know compatibility issue with Tamiya paints? 

2019-01-13_09-46-39

20190113_094052

20190113_094105

Question now is - re-paint or press on to the stickers? 

• Sad 2

Decision made. Complete re-spray. Will add some white in the centre of the panels as before but will then give a full coat of grey and then mask out the green regions unlike before where I masked out both colours. My W&N Galeria arrived this morning so I will use that as the gloss coat. May through the Humbrol sauce in the bin. 

20190113_102937

• Like 3

And the white highlights for a second time. Now for the pub. Grey coat will depend on how many pints are consumed this afternoon! 

2019-01-13_11-56-40

• Like 3

"And the white highlights for a second time. Now for the pub. Grey coat will depend on how many pints are consumed this afternoon! "

What could possibly go wrong? Heh heh... Seriously though, good save.

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

In the past I have had cloudiness with Humbrol''s varnishes and have always had to re-coat, don't use them anymore. 

Stuart

Too right Stuart. You don't need to ask how I know this... Avoid em like the plague, just like their new formula enamels which I am increasingly losing patience with.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

In the past I have had cloudiness with Humbrol''s varnishes and have always had to re-coat, don't use them anymore. 

Stuart

Yup. Won't be using it again. I've had it do it before on a starter kit brushed with Humbrol acrylics followed by their Clear. 

Ben 

11 hours ago, SandyBay said:

So did you just spray over the top of the old paint or did you strip it off or sand it down somehow?

Just sprayed over. Wouldn't know how to strip it back without damaging it. 

11 hours ago, BP85 said:

Yup. Won't be using it again. I've had it do it before on a starter kit brushed with Humbrol acrylics followed by their Clear. 

Ben 

Nice work.

Humbrol Clear is utter crack...  In fact most Humbrol..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Nice work.

Humbrol Clear is utter crack...  In fact most Humbrol..

Don't even get me started on their Decalfix 

The enamels are ok ( well not as good as they used to be but ok) everything else is pretty much worthless ( maybe not Maskol but I use neo sol so the jury’s our...)

anyhow enjoy the hunter it’s looking ok..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plasto said:

The enamels are ok ( well not as good as they used to be but ok) everything else is pretty much worthless ( maybe not Maskol but I use neo sol so the jury’s our...)

anyhow enjoy the hunter it’s looking ok..

Thanks, Plasto. I think I'm just going to play it safe and avoid anything that has a liquid form from Humbrol.

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Looking great so far!

Thanks, Mikey. Appreciated!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Plasto said:

The enamels are ok ( well not as good as they used to be but ok) everything else is pretty much worthless

I tend to agree. I still use enamels but less so nowadays, tends to be the metalcote offerings at the mo.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi All, another lunch hour spray job. Camouflage back on for the second time and fairly pleased with it. Just waiting for her to dry before trying out the W&N Galeria as a gloss coat. Still wish I had taken more time to get a better sanded finish on the wing roots. Hopefully it will be sticker time tomorrow. 

20190114_133734

• Like 5

Morning all, 

Following the disaster that was the Humbrol Clear gloss (which is now in the bin) and re-blackbasing and re-camouflaging my W&N Gloss Varnish arrived (about £12 for 500ml so should last a while):

20190116_092420

After a bit of fiddling around I decided to spray this un-thinned, primarily because I can't find anything conclusive on a suitable thinning agent, at 30psi as it is a bit more viscous than what I am used to. It seems to go down quite nice and even and for now at least, it looks shiny. I will give it a day on the drying window sill and see how she looks in the morning, hopefully no clouding and no frosting!! 

20190116_091419

Hopefully I will get a chance to get the transfers on tomorrow and then think about weathering. Feels like the end is close with this what was meant to be a single weekend stash-reduction build. 

• Like 1

After about 24 hours of curing I am very impressed with the gloss finish from the airbrushed W&N Galeria. If it takes the decals well this will definitely be my go to gloss.

Hopefully I will get some stickers on the old girl at lunchtime. 

20190117_075650

• Like 2