1982 Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9

BP85

Hi Speed silver( a silver /aluminium paint) would be right for the period. NOT natural metal though !! This dulled down somewhat in hot parts of the world. The Light grey undersides appeared much later around 1970 ish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Hi Speed silver( a silver /aluminium paint) would be right for the period. NOT natural metal though !! This dulled down somewhat in hot parts of the world. The Light grey undersides appeared much later around 1970 ish.

6 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

As per Paul's comments above, the undersides were painted silver in this period.

Brilliant. Thanks, chaps! 

58 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Christmas was 2 weeks ago. :nono:...:rofl:

Stuart

My bemused better half chose to remind me that only a week ago I said no more kits until I completely complete one. 

She doesn't know that these two are currently on their way...

Screenshot_20190109-194002_eBay

Screenshot_20190109-194557_eBay

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm quite sure that I built the Sea Venom way back in the '70's(along with the Sea Vixen-my Father was a big De H fan).

If I remember correctly,Frog kits were usually basic,had raised panel lines but were quite accurate in dimension and outline plus one else tackled

British aviation subjects like they did.

There does appear to be some Frog kit experts on here,so they will no doubt point you in the right direction of making a nice more detailed

model of the Sea Venom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BP85 said:

My bemused better half chose to remind me that only a week ago I said no more kits until I completely complete one. 

She doesn't know that these two are currently on their way...

Screenshot_20190109-194002_eBay

Screenshot_20190109-194557_eBay

She does now!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi BP.

Your Hunter seems to be coming along at quite a pace.  If you need any more Hunter decals I have sets going spare for the Airfix FGA9 - 02073.  Revell F.Mk 6 - 04350.  and Revell FGA Mk 9 / F Mk 58A. - 04186.

If these are of any use to you, drop me a PM with your address.

Robin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robin said:

Hi BP.

Your Hunter seems to be coming along at quite a pace.  If you need any more Hunter decals I have sets going spare for the Airfix FGA9 - 02073.  Revell F.Mk 6 - 04350.  and Revell FGA Mk 9 / F Mk 58A. - 04186.

If these are of any use to you, drop me a PM with your address.

Robin.

Thank you, Robin. Very kind of you to offer but I have some aftermarket ones currently somewhere in the Royal Mail. 

I have been struck by how many people have kindly offered to mail various bits and pieces. Makes the hobby a lot more fun when there's a real sense of community. 

Ben 

• Like 5

Hi All, 

Working from home again and managed to get an early morning spray in.

Gave it my first attempt at this shading on the black base. Sprayed Tamiya Flat White (30 paint: 70 thinners) at about 20psi. Tried to let the paint out slowly and concentrate it in the middle of what panels were visible. Where panels aren't visible I have attempted a bit of random marbling for some tonal variation in the top coat. 

20190110_102452

20190110_102509

Apart from a couple of splodges where the airbrush 'sneezed' I'm quite pleased with the result. 

As we're aiming for a dull silver paint look I decided to use Tamiya Flat Aluminium for the underside. This was sprayed on at 50:50 paint to thinners. It doesn't look like much variation in tone is visible in these pictures but to the naked eye there is a subtle effect, you'll just have to trust me on that one 😉

20190110_104643

I really wish I had tended to those gaping holes in the landing gear bay/fuselage. 

When it comes to the topside I may use a thinner mixture and layer it up more slowly so not to completely undo the blackbasing effect. I also think better lighting would help, it is not immediately apparent how much paint I am laying down sometimes in yellowish artificial light. 

Ben

• Like 8

15 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

The old girl is begining to look rather fetching Ben,I like the idea of the Tamiya silver,it works well.

Thanks, Dave. I'm quite pleased with how she's coming along for what was meant to be a quick stash reduction build. 

Another visit from the eBay Fairy yesterday - decals and a Tamiya scriber. Unfortunately the scriber arrived just too late to tackle the raised panel lines on this kit but with a few older kits in the stash/post it should come in handy in the near future. 

20190111_085818

Will hopefully get the first camouflage colour on the old bird in my lunch break today. 

• Like 2

Early 'lunch' break. So, masking. What a pain in the other end. Probably my least favourite job out of the whole process. Anyway, must be done.

20190111_111138

20190111_111207

And some worms, these are more for just guidance here as it will be the green that will need accurate masking. 

20190111_112534

And on with some Tamiya XF-82 RAF Ocean Grey thinned 4 paint to 6 thinners. Again, the shading isn't coming through too well on the image below but there is definitely a subtle tonal variation to the naked eye. I think I will do some gentle post-shading and highlighting when all is done. 

20190111_113608

20190111_113548

That's all for now and wishing everybody a happy Friday.

Ben

Edited by BP85
Unfinished post
  • Like 3

And some XF-81 Dark Green 2 (RAF). Not overly happy with the seams between the two colours but I guess that is something that comes with practice. Will let her dry overnight and will get the clear coat in the morning and hopefully decals on Sunday. Thank you for following so far. Heads up for anybody that doesn't already know - Tamiya tape really likes to pull up Tamiya flat aluminium, but in my case I think it adds a nice worn look... 

20190111_155400

20190111_155419

20190111_155448

• Like 8

9 hours ago, nickandrews7 said:

Nice looking old girl :)

Thank you, Sir! 

34 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Looks good to me. Camo colours look spot on!

Thank you. Very happy with these Tamiya Raf colours, I think they brought them out for their 1/32 Spitfire. I wish they would bring out a proper RLM range as I have a few Luftwaffe birds in the stash but waiting for the right paints. 

And the first gloss coat. Humbrol Clear applied with a flat brush. I have some W&N Galeria in the post which I'm hoping to spray on the Beer Deliver Spitfire. 

I suppose I should leave the Hunter to cure overnight before decaling or applying another coat. May be time to start something new in parallel... 

20190112_100634

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BP85 said:

I suppose I should leave the Hunter to cure overnight before decaling or applying another coat. May be time to start something new in parallel... 

Matchbox Blue diamond perhaps...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/matchbox-pk-117-hunter-tmk7--169873

On 1/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, Gondor44 said:

Nice replacement job on the missing undercarriage door. The two "blisters" as you called them are in fact called Sabrinas after a buxom actress of the time and were used to collect spent cartridges and ammunition links.

Keep up the good work, it's looking great so far :like:

Gondor

Not quite right, they collected the links only. the  cartridge cases were jettisoned overboard through tubes located behind the sabrinas.

Selwyn

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Not quite right, they collected the links only. the  cartridge cases were jettisoned overboard through tubes located behind the sabrinas.

Selwyn

Sounds quite quaint doesn't it. One wonders whether this was an early attempt at an environmental policy or because the country was so hard up and needed to reuse whatever it could!

Nice model by the way. Always liked this kit.

Justin

Edited by Bedders