Bühligen's FW 190 D-Day

ridinshotgun

So I am looking to try and build one of the German aircraft that flew on the initial day of Overlord or in the immediate days after Overlord.

I was thinking of doing the FW190 that Major Bühligen flew for JG2 in 1/72.  I found a set of decals that has a FW190 identified to him but I am not sure of the time frame those decals cover.  It is this one here: http://www.eagle-editions.com/aircraft-decals-for-the-modeler/72/fw-190s/eaglecals-10-fw-190-doras-fs-and-as.html

I have also been unable to find out exactly what model of the 190 he flew and if those decals are in the d-day time frame.  I think form what little info I have found he was in an A8 but not sure.  Does anyone have any information on those decals and and exactly what model 190 he flew?

Hasegawa's 1:48 Fw 190A-8 (JT94) offers the same decals for Bühligen's aircraft, an Fw 190A-8. The paint callouts read: "JG 2 Kommodore, Major Kurt Bühligen, France, June 1944."

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10063547

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

The eighth photo on this link has an unusually clear photo of Bühligen's aircraft: http://mejoresfotos2gm.blogspot.com/2014/01/?m=1

I have an Eaglecals sheet for an Fw 190A-3, and it comes with a sheet that describes each of the four aircraft options. I wish they'd be clearer on their camouflage illustrations though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

The eighth photo on this link has an unusually clear photo of Bühligen's aircraft: http://mejoresfotos2gm.blogspot.com/2014/01/?m=1

I have an Eaglecals sheet for an Fw 190A-3, and it comes with a sheet that describes each of the four aircraft options. I wish they'd be clearer on their camouflage illustrations though.

Wow that is a great photo and I would have probably never have found it through the searches I was doing.

So do the eagle decals have decent descriptions?  I was able to find some illustrations of the 1/72 sheet with his plane on it but there didn't seem to be a lot of info on them.  I guess I am spoiled from my recent aviaeology sheets.

Just now, ridinshotgun said:

Wow that is a great photo and I would have probably never have found it through the searches I was doing.

So do the eagle decals have decent descriptions?  I was able to find some illustrations of the 1/72 sheet with his plane on it but there didn't seem to be a lot of info on them.  I guess I am spoiled from my recent aviaeology sheets.

When looking for pictures of aircraft of the aces, make sure to search them like this:

adolf galland Bf 109e-4

adolf galland Bf 109e-3

wolf dietrich wilcke bf 109f-2

douglas bader spitfire v

hans ulrich rudel ju 87g-2

On aircraft where the tactical markings are supplied and have no assigned pilot, try searching 'fw 190a-8 yellow 3," something will come up eventually.

Eaglecals provides an overview of the camouflage and a single lateral view, so if the aircraft has mottling, you'll be on your own for the other side.  They include an information sheet that has details such as: size of the aircraft markings, camouflage colour, any modifications done to the plane, etc... 

EagleCals #10 that you are referring to, was done 21 years ago. We supplied all the information that was known about Bühligen's Fw 190 A-8 at that time. In the instruction sheet is the description of all the details known about his aircraft. What is missing in the camouflage description.? It is all there. As far as the colors are concerned, on the upper surfaces, no one knows exactly what the colors were. It is all speculative. Regarding supplying the off-side camouflage pattern, there were no photos available at that time, so how would it be proper that we show the camouflage without reference? Our policy has been to let the modeler decide. Also, our policy is to publish photos if we have permission and access to them, if not we quote the reference as to where they are available. 

Cheers, 

Jerry

Edited by EagleEds
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2019 at 9:04 PM, EagleEds said:

EagleCals #10 that you are referring to, was done 21 years ago. We supplied all the information that was known about Bühligen's Fw 190 A-8 at that time. In the instruction sheet is the description of all the details known about his aircraft. What is missing in the camouflage description.? It is all there. As far as the colors are concerned, on the upper surfaces, no one knows exactly what the colors were. It is all speculative. Regarding supplying the off-side camouflage pattern, there were no photos available at that time, so how would it be proper that we show the camouflage without reference? Our policy has been to let the modeler decide. Also, our policy is to publish photos if we have permission and access to them, if not we quote the reference as to where they are available. 

Cheers, 

Jerry

Today, internet links should be added. They rarely are. But you are blind without the original material.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, EagleEds said:

Cheers, 

Jerry

While I appreciate you responding you might want to review what was written there might be some confusion.  First there is no information at all on your webpage or on any one distributing your decals to provide answers to my question as I posed in the first post.  You provided more information in your post that is slightly helpful, but all that is out there is a short description from your page:

EagleCals #10 Fw 190 Doras, Fs and As "<<" Fw 190 A-8 Major Kurt Bühligen "Black 3"

Nothing in that description tells me when that aircraft is identified to him and hence why I wanted to confirm what he flew on D-Day and of the decals covered that time.  And I can't find a single image of your decals that might include instructions or other imagery from the sheet other that the link to one picture I provided in the first post, and that only provides side shots of the four aircraft on that sheet.

Second Sturmovik was talking about the camo description for another set of decals not for Bühligen's aircraft so not sure why you brought up the camo pattern on Buhligen's aircraft.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by ridinshotgun
  • Like 1

Hello;

The detailed description of the color scheme and markings is not on the cover sheet of our decals. It is included inside the folder that comes with the decals. 

All we know is that this A-8 was flown during the month of June by Bühligen. If he flew on D-Day, no one knows. But it is possibly this aircraft.

Jerry