Advice Sought on the Best PE Bending Tool without bursting the Bank

JohnT

I have previously used pe with discretion avoiding too much (unsuccessful generally) bending.

the time has come to move out of the sphere of ignorance and cowardice!!!

what bending tool would you recommend as a preliminary search shows lots of strange shaped vice like objects?  And what’s the typical cost?  Where best to buy?  The dreaded internet site fleabay or your local model shop or where?

tia as usual 

HI  John

funnily enough I just bought one,  Creative Models do 3 sizes, listed as being Trumpeter on the site though the box says Master Tools.

The middle sized one has been in their weekly specials a couple of times,   at £20.99 as opposed to £30.99, which is why I bit. 

TRU09932m.jpg

they do two other sizes

Large  http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/trumpeter_tools_photo_etched_parts_bender_large_162x79mm_-p-32800.html

small http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/trumpeter_tools_photo_etched_parts_bender_small_59x59mm_-p-32802.html

the medium looked a reasonable compromise.   I have seen folks make them out of bulldog clips and Stanley knife blades.  

There are a variety,  though from what I can see, the above looks like it would do most jobs on aircraft etch bits.   I've not opened mine up as yet. 

PS EDIT - I just opened it, feels well made and solid, and the top section rotates, so each side can go on the work area, or an edge, so looks to be fairly versatile tool.  

The bigger ones are mostly longer,  and seem aimed for armour and ship modellers,  with long bits to bend.    (I surmise)

Evilbay has a few,  small ones that look like the small Master Tools one, but 'free post' just above the customs limit at £15.32

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=photo+etch+bender&_sop=15

and the above for about £27 posted from the UK.  Ones from non Chinese sources seem to be a fair chunk more.  

As often here,  by posting ill informed cobblers, someone who really knows will then be spurred to counter such ill informed speculation ;) 

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
added a PS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello John,

Like you, I have been looking for a proper bending tool after stupidly ordering some PE ejection seats in 48 scale, not knowing how much bending was required, or how tiny the seats actually were. When they arrived, my heart sunk, I knew there was no way to fold that properly without the right tool.

Then while going thru ebay stores (I live in the Philippines, so that is my only real source of materials), I kept seeing these weird shaped things from the "small shop" and other Japanese companies whose name I could never pronounce, or even spell. Anyways, when I finally clicked on one, I instantly realized that is exactly what I needed. Unfortunately they were very expensive, up to and beyond one hundred dollars for "the small shop". Other brands were a tiny bit less, but still beyond my means at the moment, I am that poor.

Then after being recommended scraping tools from Alexen, I accidentally found this tool. It is the same shape as the others, with that weird jagged edge. The good part, it is much bigger than the clamp style benders and at a fraction of the cost.

s-l400.jpg

Now I can't swear by it's function, as mine has not arrived yet. But I did spend less than ten dollars for it, and with a bit of ingenuity, I can add a base and flaps to make it a proper bender, if it does not work as shown. I will give it a go as is though, hope it works out.

Again, the nice part is how long it is, and for just a few dollars, it was a no Brainerd for me to buy and try. There are less expensive tools, one from trumpeter comes to mind, but I am not sure if that is the one I saw for around twenty dollars. That is likely my next buy if the Alexen tool fails to live up to the promise. The only downside I can see, is having to apply pressure to the tool while bending the part, but I don't think this will have too much of a negative effect, only time will tell.

Hope that helps,

Anthony