Gwinn Aircar 1937, 1/72 scale scracthbuilt

Two builds from 6 years ago:

Unjustly ridiculed, mercilessly laughed at, the chubby Gwinn Aircar seems to be puffed in turn with justified pride.

The Aircar flew flawlessly and accomplished the goals and hopes of its designer in every possible way, participating in numerous demonstrations, airshows, air meetings and other public events. In spite of that, the only fact normally known about this remarkable plane is that famous pilot Frank Hawks was killed while flying it. Even that fact is only partially known, since it is hardly ever mentioned that the plane itself was not to blame, but Hawks, taking off in a demo flight with a passenger from a Polo field, squeezed between two tall tress only to encounter high voltage lines he could not avoid.

There were two Aircars, another fact not vastly known, and the surviving one faded in the mid-forties without leaving a trace, its final fate unknown.

There is enough about it on the Net so I won’t tell you more, but the Gwinn Aircar incorporated many innovations, was a pleasure to fly, extremely safe, and was designed and marketed as an aerial-car of sorts, proposing to bring the simplicity, low maintenance and low cost of the car to the aviation field. Unfortunately it did not succeed, but surely not as a result of its own fault.

The plane was small, and so of course consequently is the model.

In the photos you can see it compared to a “normal” monoplane to give an idea of its relative size, with a span of only 24 feet (7.31 meters). Nevertheless it could carry its pilot and a passenger, even if only propelled by the smallish 90hp Pobjoy (later replaced for an 110hp model of the same brand).

The engineering approach I took to model it can be seen in the photos, and I think needs no further explanation. An Aeroclub Pobjoy engine was used.
Sources:
Skyways Magazine # 33, Jan 1995
Critical Past clips:
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675038359_auto-plane_taking-off_running-on-road_biplane

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675056259_Frank-Monroe-Hawks_Gwinn-Aircar_hits-high-tension-wires_damaged-aircraft

Golden Pylons newsletter, Mar-Apr 2013
My thanks to James Schubert-Boing, Helga, the Florida Unbuilders, Zönke Evil Enterprises, Wasilla Styrene Mines & Co, and  Mr. C. Psarras and the Woof-Woof team for their kindness and diligence in providing the decals needed for this project.

49.jpg

50.jpg

53.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

60.jpg

67.jpg

116.jpg

121.jpg

118.jpg

102.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

39.jpg

16.jpg

54.jpg

69.jpg

84.jpg

16.jpg

99.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Once again Moa, you astound us with a beautiful replica of a truly astonishing aircraft! This should have a face and be in the movie "planes"!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Aero said:

Again, absolutely fabulous. I think that's a rare outing for my Pobjoy engine.

John

Thanks John

Long may Aeroclub accessories live, for we need them for scratchbuilding projects!

My fair but ever-dwindling stock (increased by the generosity of fellow modelers like Jim Schubert and Armando Gil):

32747259998_a941fa6d8c_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

They are SO cute! :heart:

have to agree, just about the first thing that sprang to mind

3 hours ago, John Aero said:

I think that's a rare outing for my Pobjoy engine.

& that confirms what I was wondering, thanks John.

You've come up with another wee stunna Moa, such a pity its potential was never realised. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

Steve

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Admit it... You have a gang of elves in your workshop, right?

I wish, I like elves. I wouldn't mind Galadriel at all, but my wife has a different opinion.

Instead I got a shady deal with the Borg Modelling Collective. BUT they didn't want to include Seven of Nine, the buggers.

Cheers

The Help is Not What it Used to Be

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Moa said:

they didn't want to include Seven of Nine

Seven was a babe, to be sure... I'd gladly surrender to the collective for her.  (Well... I would have in my younger days.  At my age even 23rd century Geritol wouldn't help).

• Haha 1

Cute and chubby airplane. Now, I don't recall seeing many biplanes with tricycle landing gear. For that time is seems like one step forward and two steps back.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Haha 1