Lucky find... saved from the dump

cmatthewbacon

I'm staying with my uncle while working away from home, and when I arrived this week, he said that his next door neighbours had been clearing out their garage, and found a few boxes of model railway stuff that had ended up in THEIR garage 20 years ago when the wife's dad died. My uncle's a model railway buff, so they thought he might make use of it. Well it was the wrong scale, so he kept a few of the nicer vintage Hornby wagons, still cast in metal, but the rest wasn't much good. However... among the boxes was just one kit, which he thought I might be interested in. And I was...

box-top.jpg

contents.jpg

All the bags are still sealed, apart from the yellow tree (if it had a bag in the first place), but all the yellow parts are present and correct. Everything looks crisp and without flash, and even the decals look good. There's an "issue number" on the instructions, which is "1/77", so I think it's one of the first releases of the kit in this country. I've always like the look of this kit, and the models built from it, but it's a bit of a "wild card" for me, and I've never seen an affordable one. But now I have one, and it's going to get built. I managed to get the December 1978 issue of Scale Models, which features the kit on the cover and a full build article/review, for the princely sum of £3 on eBay, so I think I'm good to go...

best,
M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 17

Jeez, Louise! I bought one of these at Stoneleigh in 1982, along with the road roller that was released at the same time, and they've languished in the stash ever since. My intention was (and still is) to build the Showman's Engine as a ploughing engine and the roller as one used by a Sydney council back in the day. So not everything in the stash is depreciating!

I recall that kit I use d to work in a shop that had one in stock back in mid 1970s so the 77 could be the year it was produced if memory serves. At the time it was quite expensive around £25.00 or thereabouts.

I have one as well, minus the decals as the previous owner took them out and stored them in books and forgot where he put it

I didn't find out until I'd bought it. It was in the early days of then appearing on Ebay so was reluctant to try and return it

Luckily I found somebody who scanned the sheet so have something to work from regarding replacing them

I have the steam roller as well

7 hours ago, cherry268 said:

I have one as well, minus the decals as the previous owner took them out and stored them in books and forgot where he put it

I didn't find out until I'd bought it. It was in the early days of then appearing on Ebay so was reluctant to try and return it

Luckily I found somebody who scanned the sheet so have something to work from regarding replacing them

I have the steam roller as well

You're welcome to the set in my kit if you want them, because I on't be using them. Can't guarantee how well they will work, given their age (although they've been in the box since I got them). PM me an address if you do.