SMS Seydlitz, 1:350 scale Hobby Boss

Jase

This is my build of the Hobby Boss SMS Seydlitz.  For Some reason this kit has largely been ignored by the aftermarket manufacturers.  There is now an imminent release of a full detail upgrade set from Infini, but this was not available at the time I started this build.  A a result this is almost a straight box build with Infini mast replacements and the gorgeous Scaledecks laminate decks.

An unusual looking ship, and that was the attraction along with the prominent red rear funnel.

This is a selection of pictures of the build so far...

39640842203_e9466de2e5_b.jpg

46553834812_5f1913e9db_b.jpg

46554016902_94b525ddd1_b.jpg

32731809828_381871c754_b.jpg

45691691045_f685228d64_b.jpg

45881890964_8375b4f62f_b.jpg[

46606008411_ed78572b33_b.jpg

46606002801_2259e0bcc6_b.jpg

39640710443_6246e8ab51_b.jpg

Jase

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, USS_ESSESS said:

Looking good!

aligning those rails on the funnels must have been a real pain...

Yes its a great test of how long you can hold your breath for😅

• Haha 1

Very nice! I'm building one of these myself right now, but I'm a complete noob (it's only my third ship model). My two others were Tamiya kits, and this one is of a noticeably lower quality in terms of fit (I've had some hefty gaps to fill, particularly where the upper deck part meets the hull) and materials (the plastic is harder and more brittle than Tamiya's, and some thin mast parts arrived broken). But I like that I don't need to buy any extras, it's going to look pretty good as it is.

One question for you: what did you do with that semicircular guard that goes in front of the anchor-chain winch things? (Fourth picture.) It looks like the chain should pass underneath but on mine it fits flush to the deck, there are no holes for it go through.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 2:19 PM, calistan said:

One question for you: what did you do with that semicircular guard that goes in front of the anchor-chain winch things? (Fourth picture.) It looks like the chain should pass underneath but on mine it fits flush to the deck, there are no holes for it go through.

You correct Hobbyboss have made a mistake.  I simply opened up a couple of holes for the chain to pas through with a small file.  the chain should pass through the wave guard, my reference photos show this.

A bit more progress on this after having a 'frustration break' due to repeatedly knocking the main mast top off!!

The supplied etch bridge is is not nice, especially the roof with lots of gaps in it.  I did think about soldering it, but finally decided that replacing the roof with plastic card was the answer.  the kit railings fit nicely in this area.  A nice addition in the kit is the finical and ships wheel, yet to be added to its post.  

45971766135_e7aa7080dc_b.jpg

46886444181_1bb785f41d_b.jpg

I have now also mounted it on its perspex stand as there is only minor fittings, rigging and touch up left to do.

46834352032_69340645a2_b.jpg

46886427541_0e978b632c_b.jpg

Got my Mojo back for this now so should be soon over the line, the question is what next to bring out of the stash or go back to?????

Jase

• Like 7

Personally I'd finish off the Type 45, looks like the trumpeter kit - (not the airfix kit which requires silly amounts of filling and sanding unfortunately). Your Seydlitz looks superb, I'm toying with either this, trumpeters HMS Repulse or ICM's Konig next, 

Edited by S-boat 55
My own poor grammar

9 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Personally I'd finish off the Type 45, looks like the trumpeter kit - (not the airfix kit which requires silly amounts of filling and sanding unfortunately). Your Seydlitz looks superb, I'm toying with either this, trumpeters HMS Repulse or ICM's Konig next, 

Its a great kit and I believe the Infini etch set out or soon will be

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Looks very nice!

I am building the SMS Friedrich der Große, a kitbash from the Koenig ICM Kits. 

Researching details, I found that all German capital ships of this era where equipped with coal winches

round about 20 per vessel.

This tiny detail is omitted by all producers, except 1/250 Paper models.

• Like 1