Odds on seeing an F14 in the air?

Filbert_Wang

I think I already know the answer to this question.. but, knowing that most of the mothballed Tomcats in service were destroyed to prevent parts going overseas, and other than crawling in a bush somewhere near an Iranian airport, is there likely to ever be another possibility to see one of these aircraft in flight?

Would be one of my lifetime ambitions (but not to the point of spending the rest of it in an Iranian jail!)

Odds in fractional system preferred.. :)

You could just go to an airshow in Iran. They just had one in November at Kish. Perfectly legal, and no need to crawl under bushes. It might be a bit of work to sign up for it, but it would sure be worth it.

Here's a nice report from it, including flying F-14's: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82757

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

You could just go to an airshow in Iran. They just had one in November at Kish. Perfectly legal, and no need to crawl under bushes. It might be a bit of work to sign up for it, but it would sure be worth it.

Here's a nice report from it, including flying F-14's: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82757

It's only sabre rattling and bovine excrement from the usual suspects. The Iranians themselves are nice enough people, friendly and welcoming. The same goes for most nations. That looks to be a good airshow. Makes a nice change from the miriad grey F-16s we get over here.

• Like 5

It's like a mid eighties to mid nineties airshow in the west. I'm glad to say I've seen F14s fly. 

Agree on the Iranians, met a few in my time. When you see what they can do under the circumstances. Imagine what they could do under more agreeable conditions?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Brilliant - thanks a lot for the info!

Wow: F14s, F4s, SU-22s and F5s - where do I sign up?! 

Seriously though wondering if November is usually the time when you could do with a bit of sunshine 🤔

Shame that it looks like an absolute pain for UK citizens to get a visa. Quite an interesting article here, certainly seems like a worthwhile place to visit from a historical perspective (although not sure how the 'covered at all times' would go down with the better half! 😁)

Travel to Iran

21 hours ago, Mike said:

Is it safe for Westerners in Iran these days?  I'd be a bit wary of visiting anywhere in the Middle East these days.  I bruise easily :unsure:

Is it safe anywhere anymore?

Edited by noelh
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, woody37 said:

Well, I have never been aware of a twin tailed f5, you learn something new every day!

Not even sure why the F5 deserves a twin tail. It seemed to work just fine with one.

7 hours ago, noelh said:

Not even sure why the F5 deserves a twin tail. It seemed to work just fine with one.

I did some reading up on it, apparently it improves take off speed and low speed handling

• Thanks 1

You'd think if they can add a tail to an F-5 they could at least spare a bit of paint for the underside, flaky as!.

The rest of the pics , it'd be like going to a retro 70's airshow with the F-4's there.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:20 PM, Mike said:

Is it safe for Westerners in Iran these days?  I'd be a bit wary of visiting anywhere in the Middle East these days.  I bruise easily :unsure:

Not all westerners are from the US or UK.