Beriev R-1 Jet flying boat - 1/72 scale resin kit from ABM

This new resin kit from ABM represents the sole prototype of the Beriev R-1 jet-powered flying boat.

Beautifully cast in flawless cream coloured resin, this is resin casting at its best.

It is a comprehensive kit - excellently packaged - with fantastic service - 7 days from order to delivery (over the Christmas period).

The box art depicts the R-1 flying over (presumably?) Beriev's base at Taganrog....

Beriev%2001.jpg

The comprehensive instructions are on two A3 sheets folded into a four-page A4 'booklet'....

Beriev%2002.jpg

Note that the colour references are generic - Green, Leather, Steel Grey etc - with the whole airframe in 'Ghost Grey'.

Beriev%2003.jpg

The parts are superby cast in a cream coloured resin with no hint of air bubbles or casting flaws....

Beriev%2006.jpg

The wing is one piece incorporating the main engine nacelles......

Beriev%2007.jpg

The intakes and jet exhausts are separate - with a nice representation of the Klimov VK-1 (RR Nene) turbojet to go inside the intake....

Beriev%2008.jpg

The decal sheet is by Begemot, so quality is assurered - two copies are included......

Beriev%2010.jpg

Note the decals for the instrument panels - an alternative film negative is also included for items 1 & 2.

The canopy and clear parts are vacformed - with two copies being supplied in case of accidents.

A few more photos are here.

This really is a quality kit - reflected in the price - but IMHO it is worth every penny.

I'll be starting it soon....

Ken

• Like 6

I'll follow this one, I quite like the lines of the aircraft. It is indeed a very well cast resin kit, I bought a resin model recently that even though its new, looks very much like an Aero choccy bar!!

Jeff

Although I do not do Russian stuff anymore, I will watch this with interest as I am a sucker for interesting kits and I know you will do a brilliant job. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress.....

The two hull halves have a raised flange along the planing bottom - part of the resin pouring stub.

This has to be removed - I used a razor saw and craft knife - taking suitable precautions with resin dust.

Beriev%2012.jpg

ABM provide a detailed interior - with a pilot's cockpit made up from a floor, bulkheads and side panels. Ejection seats and a rear gunners seat are included along with a control column, instrument panels, navigators sight and oxygen bottles.

The oxygen bottles are fitted into two mounting brackets - all very delicate - and decals are provide for the instrument panel and side consoles...

I added seat belts from tape - but not much is visible once the interior is installed....

These are the navigators, pilots and rear gunners stations once assembled - please excuse the dust particles - I didn't notice them when taking the photos (my eyesight is failing)

Beriev%2013.jpg

A closer view of the cockpit......

Beriev%2014.jpg

Various small resin 'boxes' plus a map case and fire extinguisher are installed inside each fuselage half - with decals provided for the 'Black boxes'....

Again - excuse the dust - I really should have blown it off....

Beriev%2015.jpg

The interior sub-assemblies installed inside the port fuselage half...

Beriev%2016.jpg

Close up of the nose area....

Beriev%2017.jpg

That's all folks...

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress....

The fuselage halves are glued together - there's a bit of a mis-match at the rear end...

Beriev%2018.jpg

... probably my fauly - but nothing a bit of filler can't sort out.....

The wings have been removed from their pouring stubs....

Beriev%2019.jpg

...and a test fit looks good....

Beriev%2020.jpg

More to come...

Ken

• Like 9

Thanks for the link Alexey.

Evgeny is making a much better job of the interior than mine - but once the fuselage halves are glued together, not much of the interior can be seen.

At least that is my excuse..... plus I'm getting old and lazy.....

Ken

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress....

Part for the engine nacelles - note the exquisitely detailed Klimov VK-1 turbojet (a licence-built RR Nene)....

It will be hidden inside the depths of the long nacelle - but it is superb nonetheless.

Beriev%2021.jpg

Parts for the cruciform tailplane removed from their pouring stubs...

Beriev%2022.jpg

...and assembled.......

Beriev%2023.jpg

The flaps and ailerons cleaned up and attached......

Beriev%2024.jpg

The wing fitted (but not yet glued) to check for fit.....

Beriev%2025.jpg

More later...

Ken

• Like 6

More...

The engine intakes are assembled and cleaned up - the starboard one is glued in place, the port side is left off to show how the Klimov VK-1 turbojet is fitted..

Beriev%2026.jpg

The VK-1 centrifugal-flow turbojet is a superb example of resin casting - whoever made the master has done a brilliant job...:worthy:

Beriev%2027.jpg

Unfortunately all that work is hidden away inside the nacelle.......  :crying:

The wings are now attached to the fuselage - the fit is great, the joint just needs a smear of filler.....

Beriev%2028.jpg

Georgiy Beriev's finest.......

Beriev%2029.jpg

Ken

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Just realised how off-centre those cockpit(s) are.

Stuart

Soviet Sea Vixen?

All joking aside, this looks a great kit of a type I’d barely heard of.  Thanks, Ken!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Just realised how off-centre those cockpit(s) are.

Same here... 

Seems like a nice kit to build. In the last pic it seems like the hull is warped a bit, maybe it can be a trompe d'oeil by the camera and hull form...

41 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Same here... 

Seems like a nice kit to build. In the last pic it seems like the hull is warped a bit, maybe it can be a trompe d'oeil by the camera and hull form...

That's not about the kit part beign warped, the cockpit is off-center (to the portboard) on the real thing

r1-1.gif

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some (slow) progress........

I spent a lot of time trying to eliminate the joint between the front and rear parts of the engine nacelles - lots of sanding/filling to get it smooth.....

Beriev%2030.jpg

Once I was happy with the joints, a final coat of primer was applied, the surfaces were gently sanded smooth and the top coat of light grey applied.

The decals are printed by Begemot - so quality is assured - and they went on without fuss - although I did cut the red cheat line into three parts to get it reasonably straight...

Beriev%2031.jpg

All I need to do now is cut out and fit the vacform transparencies, fit the wingtip floats and attach a homemade beaching gear....

Beriev%2032.jpg

Ken

• Like 6