Hawker Hunter XE601?

keithjs

Just a quick question if I may to confirm my research. Can I build this Hunter as shown here from the new Airfix 1/48th scale kit directly or will I need to mod anything? I believe it was originally built as an F6 and subsequently modifed to an F6A/FGA9. I'm not bothered about the underwing pod as it wasn't always carried.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

45698546465_1c1a277e19_o.jpgH5[/url

46560939882_df39bc5153_o.jpgH6 

• Like 2

Considering it’s carrying the larger tanks, I would assume it had the cut out flaps... I don’t think those are included in the Airfix F.6 kit but an easy scribe job, especially if you leave the flaps up. Or wait for aftermarket flaps or the future FGA.9 boxing

G

No expert on Hunters but has this one been modified with a Doppler sensor on the bottom of the fuselage just in front of the air intakes? 

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

No expert on Hunters but has this one been modified with a Doppler sensor on the bottom of the fuselage just in front of the air intakes? 

Not sure if its Doppler or just a generic fitting for test gubbins..Possibly a camera fit at one time given its role for Porton Down stuff?

Easy enough mod in its basic form like this though.

10462725804_5771e77253_b.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Mmm...? Now that's very tempting after all...Anyone like to hazzard a guess as to the overall length tho? About 12 feet? 

Afternoon Keith, @keithjs 

Does anyone know if the new 48th Airfix Hunter is being issued purely as a Mk.6 or is it to be a 6 / 6a?

Because if it's a 6 only, Keith will also have to alter the aft fuselage.

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Afternoon Keith, @keithjs 

Does anyone know if the new 48th Airfix Hunter is being issued purely as a Mk.6 or is it to be a 6 / 6a?

Because if it's a 6 only, Keith will also have to alter the aft fuselage.

Hi Paul,

If you're referring to the parachute housing, yes its an optional part in the kit obviously for a future release. I think the only area I'll have to fettle is the cutout for the flaps. And make the housing where the Sabrinas would have fitted. Someones given me a pair of old Academy 230 gallon takes so I'll have a go at the Porton tanks too...

Thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hi @keithjs, there is a Porton tank kicking around where I work, I can try and access it to measure and photo, but won't be straight away.

I don't think the flaps cut out is a big job for an average modeller, again references will be handy.

Thank you, that's most kind. I can always add them at the end of the build should they turn out OK....