Navy A-7 Corsair with unusual load !

Uncle Dick

Those Corsair photos reminds me about courier Breguet XIV A-2 with armistice conditions to the German HQ on 11th November 1918 or RAF tribe policing F.2Bs and Wapitis during interwar period. They all had a spare wheel attached under the fuselage just in case. However, my favorites are airliners, carrying replacement engines for other aircraft, stranded away from maintenance facilities.

DC8+5th+pod2+copy.jpg

Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Those Corsair photos reminds me about courier Breguet XIV A-2 with armistice conditions to the German HQ on 11th November 1918 or RAF tribe policing F.2Bs and Wapitis during interwar period. They all had a spare wheel attached under the fuselage just in case. However, my favorites are airliners, carrying replacement engines for other aircraft, stranded away from maintenance facilities.

DC8+5th+pod2+copy.jpg

Cheers

Jure

Ive never seen anything like this before ? Interesting i wonder what the passengers thought of this pod. 

Dennis

Hello Corsairfoxfouruncle

An average passenger probably took no notice or thought a pod had been a normal feature of an airplane, perhaps an oversized variation on Comet 4 wing leading edge fuel tanks. Such hard points used to be quite common on airliners, although I was surprised to learn that even VC-10 (check this webpage) with her relatively short undercarriage legs had been equipped with such a pod. According to this blog an engine on the photo above had been hauled to Sydney to replace a failed one on stranded cargo DC-8 with 24 very unhappy circus lions aboard. Cheers

Jure

Edited by Jure Miljevic
corrected spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Corsairfoxfouruncle

An average passenger probably took no notice or thought a pod had been a normal feature of an airplane, perhaps an oversized variation on Comet 4 wing leading edge fuel tanks. Such hard points used to be quite common on airliners, although I was surprised to learn that even VC-10 (check this webpage) with her relatively short undercarriage legs had been equipped with such a pod. According to this blog an engine on the photo above had been hauled to Sidney to replace a failed one on stranded cargo DC-8 with 24 very unhappy circus lions aboard. Cheers

Jure

Yeah, but you don't tell us where Sidney was! Was he in Sydney? 😁

Peter M

• Haha 1

The Air New Zealand DC-8  were used purely as aircargo movers in their later years, about the time of this photo, so likely no passengers aboard.

The classic version of this sort of 'carriage' would have to be the C-47 with a complete outer wing attached under the fuselage.

Recently saw interview with captain B-747. In general they were not to happy with taking this extra bump on long hauls. It effected flight characteristics quite a lot.

Not to mention the extra fuel flow.

Regards, Orion.

Qantas had capacity to carry the fifth pod on their 707-138s (and possibly some of the -338s). They had a lot of experience with being caught somewhere along the Kangaroo Route with an L-749 with a dead engine and no way to fix it, to the point where they modified one of their Lancastrians to carry a Connie engine in what used to be the bomb bay. They didn't want to be in the same situation with their shiny new 707s!

• Like 1

I first heard about this in connection with the tragedy of Air India Flight 182, which disintegrated on it's Montreal-London-Delhi flight, believed due to a Terrorist bomb in 1985.  She was carrying a spare engine being returned to New Delhi after it had been serviced in the US.