Artesania Latina Mare Nostrum Restoration

Greetings!
Recently completed restoration of a decades old build of the Mare Nostrum kit from Artesania Latina.  The original build was done by the father of my client and she wanted to have this kit restored.  Over the years, the model suffered damaged and was coated with dust and grim.  Restoration work involved repairs, cleaning, rebuilding, enhancements, additions, refinishing and a display stand.   Along with the completion photos, I have included a few images of the unrestored model as I received it.  Many thanks for having a look, your questions and comments are always welcome.
Cheers,
Bill

IMG-4834.jpg

IMG-4852.jpg

IMG-4853.jpg

IMG-4854.jpg

IMG-4841.jpg

IMG-4838.jpg

IMG-4846.jpg

IMG-4849.jpg

Following images are prior to restoration . . . . . .

IMG-4716.jpg

IMG-4724.jpg

IMG-4726.jpg

IMG-4727.jpg

IMG-4745.jpg

• Like 8

Many thanks Stuart!

I usually work with styrene or resin, but sometimes wood.  There is something about wood that is lacking in plastic, it lends itself to much greater creativity than plastic . . . .

restoration of this original build involved very careful removal of everything down to the hull and deck . . .

IMG-4781.jpg

IMG-4785.jpg

IMG-4786.jpg

The hull planking on the original build was in bad shape with a great deal of separation and gaps . . .

IMG-4779.jpg

IMG-4777.jpg

• Like 1

One trick that I have used for something like that is to find some wood that is a very close match to those planks. I then use the sanding drum on my Dremel to create a pile of sawdust. Mix that with some white glue or any other binding agent and you will have a putty that fills in the gaps. The fill will hardly be noticeable if your new wood is a close match. HTH.

• Like 1