Tamiya Polishing Compounds

Jezleaman

Most UK suppliers seem to be out of stock, you can order on amazon from Japan, probably pay you to order them separately than all together, so you can avoid the vat/Royal mail charges as all together they come out over the £15 limit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamiya-87069-Polishing-Compound-Fine/dp/B000BLI6SQ

As Colin said, there appear to be a lot of places out of stock at the moment. However, if you can find the 'Fine' compound it might well be worth giving that a try before getting the 'Finish' - from my experience you can get a pretty good shine with just Fine so for me Finish would just be a nice to have (assuming I could find it) rather than a necessity. I appreciate that it's a bit of a conceit showing off my own model, but to give an idea this is the finish I got with Micromesh (12,000 grit in the end) followed by the 'Fine' compound then adding some car wax on top:

39695504340_a8be0926c8_c.jpg

As for where to get it, sorry for being no help on that score but i got mine from Hiroboy but they appear to be out of stock at the moment. My other go-to stores also seem to be out of stock too :(

Edited by Spiny

What kind of paints do you use? What paints are you polishing? If you're using lacquer paints or Zero paints etc, you can simply use a liquid compound from the Halfords store. You will get just as good a finish maybe better than using the Tamiya ones. I can highly recommend Meguiars Ultimate Compound applied and rubbed with a good quality microfibre cloth it gives an excellent finish. Also there is no rule regarding ordering from abroad and having to pay customs and vat when it enters the UK. It doesn't happen every time, it's hit and miss. I've had a few lately where I've paid and some where I haven't...

I agree with @Steve Noble I ordered the 3 compounds and cloths from japan and never paid any extra on arrival, I also ordered a Williams FW14B from Japan as well with free postage and no extra cost as I couldn't get one UK sourced and that came quicker than something I ordered from Ebay in the UK at the same time....

Ian