Panzer III STGB Chat

PlaStix

I’ve never participated in a Group Build before, but I’m keen to build a Pz. III and have a few (and StuG IIIs, etc) in the stash, so I’d like to give it a try.

I’m a but of a slow builder with too many projects going on, but a Pz III of some sort was in my plans for sometime in 2021.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, f matthews said:

I’ve never participated in a Group Build before, but I’m keen to build a Pz. III and have a few (and StuG IIIs, etc) in the stash, so I’d like to give it a try.

I’m a but of a slow builder with too many projects going on, but a Pz III of some sort was in my plans for sometime in 2021.

Welcome to the world of group builds - the Pz III should be a good place to start.
Remember to take the time to enjoy your build and have fun.

Oh, and, just to confuse things ... take a look at this thread

It has become a little less formal than this one

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, denstore said:

Suddenly I got a lot of time on my hands, so I’m thinking of joining this GB. What’s the rules for partially started kits? I have a Tamiya StuG with not much damage done. 

Usually nothing more than 25% completed. But @PlaStix has the final approval. Post some photo’s and he can judge the quantity completed from them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2021 at 11:44, Ray_W said:

You can count me in! 

Hi Ray. You are counted in and I have added you to the list in post 1. Welcome. That looks like a great looking project you have in prospect there!

Kind regards,

Stix

On 12/01/2021 at 03:53, f matthews said:

Hi. Welcome to the GB. I have added you to the list in my first post. If you haven't ever taken part in a Group Build before, this is a great one for your first. The modellers signed up already are top notch modellers and a very friendly bunch! If you have any questions someone will be able to help.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

21 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Hi Stix,

Please can you count me in for this one - I've got a Tamiya StuG III that's perfect for this GB

Many thanks

Kris

Hi Kris. Consider yourself counted! I have added you to the list in the first post in this thread. Welcome. Looks like we we are going to have a lot of Stug builds....which suits me fine. I think I'm going to build a Stug too.....although I haven't fully decided yet!!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

14 hours ago, denstore said:

Suddenly I got a lot of time on my hands, so I’m thinking of joining this GB. What’s the rules for partially started kits? I have a Tamiya StuG with not much damage done. 

Hi Magnus. I have signed you up but, as Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle kindly mentioned - just post a pic in this thread of what you have done so far, if you consider your Stug to be less than 25% complete.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hello stix, hope you and yours are ok,and have had a good christmas and new year, I'll  join in on this one with a stug iii from tamiya , i have a pe set for it , and i shall duly weather it to within an inch of its miserable life , winter i reckon

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Kris. Consider yourself counted! I have added you to the list in the first post in this thread. Welcome. Looks like we we are going to have a lot of Stug builds....which suits me fine. I think I'm going to build a Stug too.....although I haven't fully decided yet!!!!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks very much Stix.  Yeah it does look like it's going to be a bit of a Stug bonanza!!!  Looking forward to it - still a relative newcomer to Armour builds as opposed to my usual aircraft so couldn't pass up this opportunity to join in with the rest of the BM gang :thumbsup:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Magnus. I have signed you up but, as Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle kindly mentioned - just post a pic in this thread of what you have done so far, if you consider your Stug to be less than 25% complete.

Kind regards,

Stix

Here’s a picture. This is the basic kit. I have tracks and a detail kit from ModelKasten as well.

https://imgur.com/a/2fDXyUZ

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi. Welcome to the GB. I have added you to the list in my first post. If you haven't ever taken part in a Group Build before, this is a great one for your first. The modellers signed up already are top notch modellers and a very friendly bunch! If you have any questions someone will be able to help.

Kind regards,

Stix

THANKS!

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 18:48, Hewy said:

Hello stix, hope you and yours are ok,and have had a good christmas and new year, I'll  join in on this one with a stug iii from tamiya , i have a pe set for it , and i shall duly weather it to within an inch of its miserable life , winter i reckon

Hi Glynn. Thank you and I hope you and yours are okay too. Christmas was lovely and quiet, thank you, and I hope you enjoyed yours too.

Great to have you along. Looking forward to seeing one of your lovely builds in progress. I have added you to the list in the first post in this thread.

22 hours ago, denstore said:

Here's a picture. This is the basic kit. I have tracks and a detail kit from ModelKasten as well.

https://imgur.com/a/2fDXyUZ

Hi denstore. Yes that looks well under the 25%. Looking forward to seeing more progress on it from the 6th February onwards. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I'm all set for my first GB! I've got a Bronco 1/35 Ausf A. First GB, First Panzer III, First build with working tracks,

It fits in really well with my 2021 theme - the 1st Panzer Division and it's opponents through the war. So funnily enough I'm starting with a Panzer III in Poland, September 1939.

I haven't built a III before. In my youth it would've been too small to consider (all Tigers and Panthers back then), and now that I'm old it's almost too big (I like little 'uns now).

I'm very excited!!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ned said:

I'm all set for my first GB! 

Welcome to group builds Ned - your 1st Panzer Division project sounds interesting, I hope we'll hear more of that as the year goes on,
The Bronco kit sounds like an interesting option.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2021 at 09:41, Ned said:

I'm all set for my first GB! I've got a Bronco 1/35 Ausf A. First GB, First Panzer III, First build with working tracks,

It fits in really well with my 2021 theme - the 1st Panzer Division and it's opponents through the war. So funnily enough I'm starting with a Panzer III in Poland, September 1939.

I haven't built a III before. In my youth it would've been too small to consider (all Tigers and Panthers back then), and now that I'm old it's almost too big (I like little 'uns now).

I'm very excited!!

Hi Ned. Well there are only 3 weeks to go!! I'm really looking forward to it all starting and, I think, I have chosen what I'm going to build....maybe.....

Bronco kits have a great reputation and I'm looking forward to following yours in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Just picked one of these up for my Stug’s base.

Hi Ozzy. That looks like a great purchase. Looking forward to seeing it and your Stug together.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. That looks like a great purchase. Looking forward to seeing it and your Stug together.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix’s,

I’m really looking forward to the build, I’ve seen a MB figure set that will go nicely with the scene.

• Like 1

This arrived today

pziii-001.jpg

The kit is an early release version with interior - or, at least, the crew area (don't think it has an engine) ... the interior may be a bit too much for a GB anyway.

Has anybody experience with Dragon's neo tracks?  Think they are a relatively new product (basically a variant on link and length).
See how I get along with them.  LnL tracks always seem to break up on me, so I may go with some AM examples.

{edit}
Interesting, the box art shows lower hull escape hatches.
The kit has late type PzIII hull with no escape hatch openings.  The plastic does include doors, but they are greyed out in the instructions.
{/edit}

• Like 5

On 19/01/2021 at 18:15, Robert Stuart said:

This arrived today

The kit is an early release version with interior - or, at least, the crew area (don't think it has an engine) ... the interior may be a bit too much for a GB anyway.

Has anybody experience with Dragon's neo tracks?  Think they are a relatively new product (basically a variant on link and length).
See how I get along with them.  LnL tracks always seem to break up on me, so I may go with some AM examples.

{edit}
Interesting, the box art shows lower hull escape hatches.
The kit has late type PzIII hull with no escape hatch openings.  The plastic does include doors, but they are greyed out in the instructions.
{/edit}

Hi Robert. Looks like an interesting choice. I haven't seen one of these Dragon Neo Smart Kits in progress/detail yet, so I am really looking forward to following it's progress.  I must admit I do like link and length tracks so I'm interested to see what these look like in your kit.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 11:28, AaronKSJ said:

Not sure which kit I'll build yet, but count me in! 
Got plenty of holiday booked off over Feb and March to spend in Costa Del Leeds - so I should have ample modelling time. 

Hi Aaron. Welcome to the GB - only just over a couple of weeks until the start! I have added you to the list in my first post. Hope you manage to decide what to make soon.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1