Panzer III STGB Chat

PlaStix

Well, we're only just near the end of the third week of the Pz.IV STGB but, as it seems to have been really popular so far, I thought I'd suggest the idea of a Single Type Group Build of it's predecessor - the Panzer III.

It was a medium tank developed in the 1930s and saw extensive action in World War II.

For this STGB, kits built could cover all versions from conception through to all the variants produced and can be in any scale.

However - No 'What-ifs' or versions that we’re not actually manufactured please.

Series model variants were: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, L, M and N.

Also - based on the Pz.III chassis:

StuG III - Assault Gun

Panzereobachtungswagen - Observation tank

Panzerbefehlswagen III - Command tank

Bergepanzer III - Armored Recovery Vehicle - PzKpfw III chassis

Sturm-Infanteriegeschütz 33B - Self-propelled heavy assault gun

Flammpazer III - Flamethrower Tank

Plus the Soviet SU-76i self-propelled gun which was based on the chassis of captured German Panzer IIIs and StuG IIIs

SleeperService has also let me know about the SG-122 - where the Soviets used the German Sturmgeschütz III chassis. Only 10 of these were completed.

I'm by no means an expert on this tank but it's always been one of my favourites.

Please let me know if you are interested in taking part by replying below expressing your interest. Even if we do manage to get the 25 people necessary for this STGB to run signed up, the GB won’t actually start until probably (at the earliest) 2021 although Enzo has let me know there are still some STGB slots still available in 2020. This means you'll have plenty of time to either find a suitable kit in the stash or purchase one (or more!).

Interested modellers:

1. PlaStix

2. Ozzy

3. Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. SleeperService 

5. fatfingers 

6. German Armour

7. vppelt68

8. GREG DESTEC

9. bigfoot

10. SoftScience

11. Robert Stuart

12. Yetifan

13. Retired Bob

14. sdk_uk

15. Foxbat

16. exdraken

17. Chrissy_J

18. John

19. the South African

20. Bullbasket

21. ridinshotgun

22. Agent G

23. ijs302

24. stevej60

****25. Bonhoff****

26. nimrod54

27. Silver Fox

28. badger

29. srkirad

30. sampanzer

31. witjas4

32. Jasper Dog

33. Rob S

34. klr 

35. modelling minion

36. SimonT

37. shelfspace

38. Mig Eater

39. M3talpig

40. Longbow

41. robw_uk

42. Ned

43. Six97s

44. Andy J
45. Ray W

46. f matthews

47. planecrazee

48. denstore

49. Hewy

50. THEscaleSHOW 

51. AaronKSJ

52. sardaukar

Could be you?

In just over a week acquired the 25 names for this Pz.III Single Type Group Build to happen!! Looks like it should be a great GB!

Thank you to everyone who has signed up! 

If you would like to take part as well please sign up below.

Having had a chat with @Enzo Matrix, to avoid clashing with all the other AFV STGBs that will be happening this and next year, we have decided upon the dates:

I know it's over a couple of years away but it will mean we don't have any overlap with the various other AFV STBGs which are happening over the next 24 months.

It will give you plenty of time to find or acquire a suitable kit! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Stix

Sounds great. I'd do the FlakPanzer III which PanzerTracts insist was actually built if that's OK. See THIS for a still relevant discussion and HERE for the 1/72 Maco kit.

If it is a bit too extreme then a Beobachtungs or BefehlsPanzer III instead.

There was also the Soviet SG-122 built on Panzer/Stug III hulls. See HERE for more, not many but they did happen.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ Me please possibly a Stug. III

Hi Dennis. Great to have you aboard - I will add you to the list.

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Hi Stix

Sounds great. I'd do the FlakPanzer III which PanzerTracts insist was actually built if that's OK. See THIS for a still relevant discussion and HERE for the 1/72 Maco kit.

If it is a bit too extreme then a Beobachtungs or BefehlsPanzer III instead.

There was also the Soviet SG-122 built on Panzer/Stug III hulls. See HERE for more, not many but they did happen.

Hi SleeperService and thank you for signing up - great to have you taking part. I'm a bit on the fence at the moment with regards the FlakPanzer III. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great vehicle but 'the internet' seems a bit divided as to whether it was actually built. As I mentioned above, I am certainly no expert on Pz.IIIs but, if we stick within the spirit of the usual Britmodeller STGB guidelines, anything that can't be proved to have been built isn’t usually included. I'm happy to be swayed either way.

And I will add the SG-122 to the list above, thank you. Didn’t spot that one before.

Kind regards,

Stix

Aye up Stix.

It's a HUGE yes from me. Pz III is my all time favourite as it looks like a 'proper' tank. Got a fair few in the stash to choose from too :wicked:

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Stix.

It's a HUGE yes from me. Pz III is my all time favourite as it looks like a 'proper' tank. Got a fair few in the stash to choose from too :wicked:

Regards 

Steve 

Hi Steve. Great stuff! Glad to have you taking part. I will add you to the list.

We're now 1/5 of the way there!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi SleeperService and thank you for signing up - great to have you taking part. I'm a bit on the fence at the moment with regards the FlakPanzer III. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great vehicle but 'the internet' seems a bit divided as to whether it was actually built. As I mentioned above, I am certainly no expert on Pz.IIIs but, if we stick within the spirit of the usual Britmodeller STGB guidelines, anything that can't be proved to have been built isn’t usually included. I'm happy to be swayed either way.

I shall dig out the appropriate reference stuff and post it for your perusal. It isn't where I thought it was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

If I recall correctly, the hole for the turret in a Pz III hull was not large enough in diameter to house an AA-gun turret, like in a Wirbelwind. But I may recall incorrectly :coolio:. V-P

Hi V-P. Hope you are well. Are you interested in taking part in this STGB?

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panther II said:

Maybe I can join. Plenty of time to find a kit. 😁

Hi Panther II. I have added you to the list. Hopefully you will be able to find a suitable kit. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

23 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi V-P. Hope you are well. Are you interested in taking part in this STGB?

Kind regards,

Stix 

Stix, thanks for asking, I'm feeling fine 👍. I am, if and only if I manage to drag myself off those B-17:s and first finish a Pz IV too - oh woe is me! V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Stix, thanks for asking, I'm feeling fine 👍. I am, if and only if I manage to drag myself off those B-17:s and first finish a Pz IV too - oh woe is me! V-P

Hi V-P. I have added you to the list and I will make sure I keep chasing you up about the B-17s and a Pz.IV! You have probably got more than a year before this GB will start so hopefully you'll get them all finished!

13 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Hi Stix,

Sign me up please,

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg. Great to have you along! I have added you to the list.

We are now almost a quarter of the way there already!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigfoot said:

I’m in, I’ve got several panzer/StuG iii kits in the stash to have a bash at.

Hi bigfoot. Great to have you along for the GB! 

Kind regards,

Stix

On 1/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, vppelt68 said:

If I recall correctly, the hole for the turret in a Pz III hull was not large enough in diameter to house an AA-gun turret, like in a Wirbelwind. But I may recall incorrectly :coolio:. V-P

As built you are quite correct. However the Befehlspanzer Ausf J had a Panzer IV turret fully rotating with a 5cm L/60 gun. It could be adapted as the design was originally very over specified. There is documentary evidence that some FlakPanzer III were built and issued to Stug units which is what they were built for. 

I'll keep a watch on developments regardless but I will probably go for something else by the time this happens. I'm fickle like that, or just can't make my mind up ;)

8 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Short barrelled panzer IIIs and Stug Ausf B.s are some of the coolest looking armor ever.

Put me down as definitely interested.

Hi SoftScience. Totally agree!

Great to have you on board!

Kind regards,

Stix

9 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Ah, go on

No idea what I'd build, but yes

Hi Robert and great to have you along! I have added you to the list above.

Kind regards,

Stix