Panzer III STGB Chat

PlaStix

Not really a noob question, just you are spoiled for choice and can't decide which to pick?   1943 on the Eastern Front hosted the largest tank battle up to that point of the war, known as the Battle of Kursk, or aka by the Axis codename Operation Zitedelle.   Some other things to consider are do you want SS vehicle or regular army (Heer)?    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackG said:

Not really a noob question, just you are spoiled for choice and can't decide which to pick?   1943 on the Eastern Front hosted the largest tank battle up to that point of the war, known as the Battle of Kursk, or aka by the Axis codename Operation Zitedelle.   Some other things to consider are do you want SS vehicle or regular army (Heer)?    

True, I suppose Id like a bog standard Army vehicle. So that discounts the SS Sheet. 

Let me introduce my own interpretation of the 1941 and 1942 "Tropen" colours on the Braille scale Panzer III J and Panzer IV G.

Of course the latter is shown in the later (i.e. 1942) scheme.

Both models are brush-painted using Humbrol (and Airfix!!!) enamels

Cheers

Michael

• Like 3

You can’t beat Masterbox for variety Dennis, depends on your final plan as to which sets may fit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we are now 4 weeks into our little STGB and we are seeing fantastic modelling taking place!! We already have one superb completed build in the Gallery (well done @modelling minion) and, by the look of it, several more which will be joining it soon!!

I'm thoroughly enjoying my build although there's a looooonnnnng way to go before mine will be anywhere near finished!!

I hope everyone else is enjoying their builds too..............although I know a couple of modellers whose kits seem to be fighting them all the way....... :fight:

I hope everyone is keeping well and keep up the brilliant modelling!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

On 05/03/2021 at 03:49, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can anyone recommend a Panzer crew figure set spring/summer clothing Eastern front 1943 ? That and possibly a cheap stowage set for German armor ? 

The big Tamiya box has a good selection of poses that is good for mid-war builds and can, at a pinch, work for late war builds too.
1076225-28685-74-720.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WarhammerAdjacent said:

Hi all, is it too late to join in? I've got the new Academy Panzer III sitting waiting to go, just need to polish off one current build and I can get going.

Welcome to the build war hammer adjacent. We’re here till May, I look forward to seeing your build come together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WarhammerAdjacent said:

Hi all, is it too late to join in? I've got the new Academy Panzer III sitting waiting to go, just need to polish off one current build and I can get going.

As Ozzy said - it certainly isn't too late to join in. I am looking forward to seeing your Academy Panzer III in progress. Welcome to the GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Well - My two little builds are done, dusted and in the gallery already!

Very much a first for me as I have form for getting builds into the gallery with minutes to spare...

Good luck to everyone who are still plugging away with theirs - I'll keep popping in to catch up with progress.

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 2

Hi Ian. Both your builds look fantastic in the Gallery. Well done on getting them finished so early! And thank you for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KeithA said:

Hi there. New to the forum and still finding my way around but I'd love to join this build if that's possible?

Welcome to Britmodeller and you certainly can join in Keith. Just start a thread in the Group Build area and start your build. Looking forward to seeing what you make.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Tigers are all very well (see bottom), but I'm feeling the Pz.III love these days. Only need a StuG with the L/43 75mm and that will be every configuration of gun covered. Going to go for the cheaper 1/72 Ausf A and B tanks just so I've got all the suspension variants too.

spacer.png

Just got to build them now. How long is this GB? 🤪

Andy

Only mildy addicted. I can stop any time.

Edited by Foxbat
More typos than I could live with
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Tigers are all very well (see bottom), but I'm feeling the Pz.III love these days. Only need a StuG with the L/43 75mm and that will be every configuration of gun covered. Going to go for the cheaper 1/72 Ausf A and B tanks just so I've got all the suspension variants too.

spacer.png

Andy

Go for it Andy @Enzo Matrix would be proud of you, between you and @Retired Bob you could restock a Panzer Division. You’ve got till May.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Foxbat said:

You still have over two whole months until the end of May, I'm still waiting for my Dragon Late StuG to be delivered, I think it's on that boaty thing stuck in the Suez canal, typical of boaty things. :wtf:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 25/03/2021 at 16:26, Foxbat said:

Andy

You've got plenty of time Andy! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone... Noob questions again what colors for German pioneering tools, fire extinguishers on the rear fender, and Jerry cans ? Ive never been quite sure if Ive gotten them correct in the past so would like some assistance. 

Wood was plain wood, I tend to end up with mine quite dark because of the way I paint and shade but it doesn't have to be. Metal bits were black, both for anti-corrosion and anti-reflection. I saw somewher they were anodised but that doesn't make sense unless they were aluminium and who needs a bacofoil axe or shovel? Gunmetal plus a black wash works well for me. Fire extinguisher was the same colour as the tank so it didn't stand out. One to note is the wire cutters, they had red-brown bakelite handles so they were insulated for cutting electrical wire as well as barbed.

This page has more info than you ever thought possible on Jerry cans: Jerry Cans

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wire cutters are bit more detailed, with handles encased in paper with a topcoat of red brown, and the end caps are bakelite material in a very dark colour;

regards,

Jack

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1