Panzer III STGB Chat

PlaStix

I was hoping that someone would be building an "Operation Sealion" Tauchpanzer diving tank, because they look a bit mad and I'd love one. The price for the Dragon kit is a bit eye-watering though at £60/£70, I guess that's enough to put anyone off.

I've read that the soft vinyl that Dragon used a few years ago doesn't age well, is there any truth in it?

Underwater tanks. I wouldn't last 5 minutes. I wonder if the designer ever went down one?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes sadly there was a Dragon Panther in the recent STGB that was shelved for that very reason. 

Ah yes, found it. What a disaster. That has put me right off. There's hoses, a cupola seal, and a gun mantle seal all made of the same stuff. I'm not risking my cash on that. Cheers. I don't really get on with Dragon kits anyway, too fiddly for my old eyes.

• Like 1

Good Luck Guys. Looks Like a good turn out for another Armour build

I'm hoping to join in with the very same model you have just been talking about, but I'm committed to the Gulf war build ATM, and have a short work trip coming up in March. 

But if all goes to plan, (unlikely with Co-vid / Weather at Sea / world travel all conspiring against me) I may be able to start later in the build.

If you want any Pic's of the sea loin Tank parts your worried about I can assist.

Paul

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pbrowne said:

Could there be a consistent title formatting for GB threads?

It could be done.  Somebody could try to enforce the rule. And it might help with cataloguing the forum, but ...

We are human beings (I think), building in our own time, here for our own enjoyment.

Personally, I doubt I'd find formal titles fun.
(I am, perhaps the worst offender in the titles department, with two threads here, neither mentioning the type, scale nor kit maker.)

• Like 2

On 07/02/2021 at 00:36, pbrowne said:

Could there be a consistent title formatting for GB threads?

Hi. Totally understand what you mean but, as Robert said, the modellers on this site do this for a hobby and for fun. Quite a lot of modellers have their own way of promoting their builds (including their name in the title, for example) which they enjoy doing. When you've been on the site a bit longer you'll get the hang of looking through sections fairly quickly. The other thing to do, if you are looking for something in particular on Britmodeller, is not to use the site's own search facility but to use Google and include Britmodeller and what you are interested in finding in the search box. BM's own search doesn't always find what you put in the search box.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

For those of you struggling with magic tracks or tracks in general, try these they are exactly what they say on the box. Slot them together and run a screwdriver of flat object over the attachment struts and their together. I used a set on the Pz IV build a few years ago, can’t recommend them enough.

BF544-DB4-9-F17-4557-9-F08-F9242-ACFE226

2326953-F-B02-A-4781-8753-CF3-B97285361.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what the little "things" like handles are that stick out of the turret wall just in front of and below the hatches? I'd never noticed them before today and I now have one less of them than I really should (parts F25 and F26 for anyone building a 1/48 Tamiya kit).

Took ages getting it to stick then it pinged off into the ether while I was wrestling with something else 🙄

Andy

Just watched the video in the reference section and they're the locks for the front door. Hope mine turns up then.

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question for anyone ? With the lower six road wheels on these, should the holes be opened for lightening or are they just stamping marks ? 

The Dragon wheels are all open so start drilling Dennis. :like:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question for anyone ? With the lower six road wheels on these, should the holes be opened for lightening or are they just stamping marks ? 

Just thought I had better double check the real thing in case Dragon had it wrong, there are good photos in my Ryton book, walk around photos of the wheels show the six large holes are opened up so you can see the track inside the wheels.  The six small holes between each of the large holes are sections of tubing that are welded at the wheel face, connecting the outer and inner wheel sections together. :winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just had a look Dennis, mine have got holes in.

0-C74-CAE8-33-AE-4-A6-C-B115-3-AF1-AE763

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok more fun questions from me ? Just of curiosity when did the German Army switch from Grey to Yellow camouflage on Armor, was it in 1942 or 1943 ? 

"HM 1943, no. 181 dated Feb 18, 1943 ordered the three colour system, using the dark yellow as the base colour." That follows what I found about Tigers belonging to Das Reich - they were delivered in the Tropical scheme in late 1942, had whitewash applied over that for the Battle of Kharkov (19-Feb - 15-Mar 1943) and were repainted in the three colour scheme instead of just having the whitewash removed.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It does seem many armoured vehicles produced in 1942 were being finished in tropical paints, even though they were sent elsewhere other than North Africa.   Proof is only in photos, no documentation as yet discovered that specifically states painting orders to that effect, or which batches of production vehicles were being redirected from what were initially slated for delivery to the desert.

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

On 2/18/2021 at 3:50 PM, JackG said:

It does seem many armoured vehicles produced in 1942 were being finished in tropical paints, even though they were sent elsewhere other than North Africa.   Proof is only in photos, no documentation as yet discovered that specifically states painting orders to that effect, or which batches of production vehicles were being redirected from what were initially slated for delivery to the desert.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while the "yellow" Pz IIIs after winter 1942/43 were most likely in RAL7028 Dunkelgelb, the ones in autumn 1942 should be in the Tropen 2 scheme, i.e. RAL8020+7027. And what about the Ausf.J vehicles manufactured in winter 1941/42 ? In my opinion, such tanks (e.g. the Viking division in Rostov in June 1942) should wear the Tropen 1 camo of RAL8000+7008. Am I right?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 1

Yes, it's quite possible the first tropen scheme paints were seen elsewhere other than Africa in 1942, but all we can do is guess the colors when a certain a photo is not showing the standard grey paint.  There could have been supplies of the pre-war paint scheme, known as Buntfarbenanstrich,  still available.  This comprised of green, brown, and an earth yellow.

Germantanksoldiersattack.jpg

The above is very popular study of a panzer in 1942 and the drive to the Caucasus.   Debate continues -  is it tropen scheme, is it one tropen combined with grey, which colour is applied first, is it earth yellow, ...   There is popular theory(?) that all panzers during tropen issued paints and up to the official ambush scheme of '44, regardless what scheme they were painted, left the factory in one colour, and that the crew/workshops were responsible for adding any secondary or additional colour paints.

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone... More questions from the StuG Noob. The standard six road wheels were they all the same size for most of the production. Reason I’m asking is could I paint some replacements from an earlier Panzer grey Stug that were pulled off a damaged earlier model ? 

Hello everyone... Time for more of my Noob questions. These are my top three choices for camouflage. 
xPqYVbk.jpg

db7aVsY.jpg

o1L7a4h.jpg

All are from the Eastern front mid 43 to early 44. These are the decals I have, just not sure what would be best for a StuG on the eastern front. AJZM0wA.jpg

cysmRnJ.jpg

N2JAvZV.jpg

Any help I can get on this would be great. 

Dennis

• Like 1