Koenig Specials Porsche 911 BiTurbo

Hi All,

I had hoped that this would be my last RFI of 2018, but I ran out of time on New Year's eve...

So, it's my first RFI of 2019.

This is one of the many Fujimi 911 variants. I have had this in my stash for probably 30 years, and I had partially completed it about 15 years ago, then for whatever reason, I put it away and more or less forgot about it.

If you want to see the build thread, go here.

Anyway, I finally finished it last night, but because I was tired, I didn't take pictures until this evening.

So, here they are:

y4mJwOl_6OwnPHDtB0sPal05FCR83k4iXbgY3PgQ

A common complaint that I have heard on this forum is that Fujimi Car kits seems to have a very high ride height. This one doesn't seem too bad. It looks about right to me.

y4mej0g821aEtWyLX5KQNCMGdcJ2ImqRjVZzsJOU

This one looks a bit odd as the foreground is completely out of focus and makes the whole car look weird.

The camera just focused on the top of the window frame! I might try to get a better picture later.

y4mhRCA5A9ZrbV4gs1AISp7N7qElkoNB9UXL8dMu

y4mtBdXBhKWh91hJfgN3AhhBIVMN1ZYZxkky6eoq

y4mCuj6I3y1AoH_vR7caxAbrJueSt7dH3MytJo8I

y4mi89nNELpVbVj1-NqxOWLfDGSKpHZv5SG16p27

I have just noticed that the rear wheel seems to be protruding from the bodywork on the right side. This is because there is about 2mm of lateral movement on the steel bar that is the axle. With careful positioning, the axle can be centred. What I really need is a spacer on each side, but that would require dismantling the back of the car, which I am not prepared to do.

y4mD8_hmy3NWiswbUxOEE4sNkSTDMv2MKn1TFU4H

The only other problem that I encountered was that the decals appeared to be made of formica and just about as flexible.

My decal softener didn't seem to touch it!

Overall, though I am quite pleased with the end result.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 8

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I promised Spiny that I would get a better picture of the front end than the very blurry one I originally posted.

It was just  a matter of getting the camera to focus in the right place. Due to the relatively low level of light and the wide aperture, the depth of focus is really shallow. I need to use a narrower aperture! Next time...

Anyway, here it is:

y4mVJeNgoHF90vQKz9Ek6NT0AcwEE4DFx5Tr0wu4

The headlamp lenses were glued in place with Crystal Clear PVA glue. Even though when I put them in, they were fogged up with the unset glue. But since it has set, the fogging has completely gone.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

I see exactly what you mean - there is no sign of fogging at all in those lights. As a car, this isn't one I'm particularly a fan of, but as a model I think you've done an excellent job with it, particularly once you look through the build thread and see the challenges it kept throwing up.

I feel your pain with the photography front too. I don't know if you have a tripod to hand, but for the photoshoots I've done of mine, I've put the photo box on the table and then mounted the camera ~3-4 feet away on the tripod. That way, I can use the tightest possible aperture (as you've mentioned) and don't have to worry about the long exposure lengths (one of the S600 pics had a 4 second exposure!). Being further away and able to use a little zoom also reduces the distortion i get when I'm too close in to the model. I did notice that you have photography listed in the interests box, so my apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know. It took me about a year of shoots before I got that system working somewhere near consistency, so I can well imagine you have your own method - this is more just in case there's something in there which is useful.

Hi Spiny,

I do have a tripod. but it's located in an inaccessible place in our study (Box cupboard stuffed with family stuff not yet thrown away), and most of the time I can't be bothered to find it.

I think that if I want better pictures, I'll have to make the effort to get the tripiod out...

Cheers, Alan.