Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish

sprue

2 hours ago, sprue said:

Is it possible to build a MK I from the MK II kit as the later seems to be more easily available?

Mike

Hi Mike, Yeah the short exhaust and smaller oil cooler are there but the lower wings for the Mk I aren`t. I suppose you could sand a fabric and ribs effect into the Mk II ones if you`re desperate.

I`ve just finished a Mk II and can`t think of anything else different.

Hope this helps

Cheers Russ 

3 hours ago, sprue said:

Is it possible to build a MK I from the MK II kit as the later seems to be more easily available?

Mike

try asking in the wanted section for a Mk.I if that what you need.    And, if no luck there,  unless you must have it now,  watch the usual places,  one will turn up, I mean it's a mainstream Tamiya kit, they are not exactly rare.  Note, the floatplane Mk.I does not have the UC parts IIRC, which may save you a search.

A quick search at Kingtkit for example....

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/tamiya-aircraft-1-48-61068-fairey-swordfish-mki

they have 2 in stock if you want to pay £45 for one

If you watch ebay I'd think you could get one for about £30 with a bit of paitence

It used to be the Mk.II was always more expensive.

I have a Mk.I and a resin Mk.II conversion set I got cheap, so  if you find a Mk.II cheap, then you might want to see if someone did the conversion. 

HTH

Alternatively, just contact the Tamiya distributor in the UK (Hobbyco, I believe) and see if you can buy the necessary bits. It shouldn't cost much, provided that the kit is still available and you know the numbers of the parts you want. You will have to buy the complete frame - they won't separate out particular pieces - but it's not ruinously expensive.

I've done this in the past with the Australian distributor, and it's worked well.

28 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Alternatively, just contact the Tamiya distributor in the UK (Hobbyco, I believe) and see if you can buy the necessary bits. It shouldn't cost much, provided that the kit is still available and you know the numbers of the parts you want. You will have to buy the complete frame - they won't separate out particular pieces - but it's not ruinously expensive.

I've done this in the past with the Australian distributor, and it's worked well.

good idea,  but Hobbico are quite expensive. 

A member just asked about getting Tamiya spares, and @chrisrope mentioned he paid £12 for a Lancaster sprue.    The Swordfish kit, like many Tamiya kits, does not seem to ever get to a 'bargain price'   so unless @sprue already has a Mk.II kit,  he'd be better off waiting for the right kit. (from my perspective of a tightwad kit-a-holic whose got way way to many kits, because they replaced my record collecting habit)   

A quick check on evilbay of completed listings showed Mk.I's that they went from about £30 to £50 with post,   the new price of a Mk.II at Hannants was  over £50 when I checked.

My tip, Set up a search on ebay, and wait for one that has a high start price,  say over £20, and finishes on a non weekend night, and use a sniper program to avoid bidding wars, you might get one for £30 ish all-in,  maybe less.   

Interesting ... I bought a very cheap Meteor III at a show, and discovered when I got it home that it was cheap because the cockpit coaming was missing. I got a new frame with the coaming from the Australian distributor for less than $AUS20, including postage, which I thought was more than reasonable. Mind you, I've now got a bunch of parts I don't know what to do with, but I'm sure that eventually I'll find something ... maybe combine the tail with an Airfix FR.9 and a pair of scratch-built wingtips and make a PR.10.