Fairey Swordfish Mk II, 818 NAS, Indian Ocean, 1945

Russ, I had another look at this plane. The cables look a little out of place with the rest of the model. Really dark and heavy. This is an area I have trouble with. 

Making them a mid grey would help, so they blended in with the rest of the model. Just a thought. The rest of the model is fantastic as usual. 

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

Very nice result!  

Maybe I omitted this info in some way byt if I can sk - which kit it was? Print+Scale decals with this scheme are in 1/72 (http://www.printscale.org/product_145.html), so is it conversion from Airfix Mk1? If "yes" - this is something I am thniking about to do also. So,  except the immitation of metal surfaces of  lower wing in place of rockets rails are there other changies needed?

BTW  - I have some doubts about this decals set - was it possible in Far East to have still red on roundels from top in 1945? Especially when side roundels had removed red centers?

Best regards and Happy New Year!

J-W

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Russ, I had another look at this plane. The cables look a little out of place with the rest of the model. Really dark and heavy. This is an area I have trouble with. 

Making them a mid grey would help, so they blended in with the rest of the model. Just a thought. The rest of the model is fantastic as usual. 

Cheers Greg, like I said in my post, I tried it as an alternative to nylon thread. An experiment really, I agree they do look too heavy, but painting may make it worse.

Russ

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice result!  

Maybe I omitted this info in some way byt if I can sk - which kit it was? Print+Scale decals with this scheme are in 1/72 (http://www.printscale.org/product_145.html), so is it conversion from Airfix Mk1? If "yes" - this is something I am thniking about to do also. So,  except the immitation of metal surfaces of  lower wing in place of rockets rails are there other changies needed?

BTW  - I have some doubts about this decals set - was it possible in Far East to have still red on roundels from top in 1945? Especially when side roundels had removed red centers?

Best regards and Happy New Year!

J-W

Hi J-W,

Caption under first photo: `My attempt at Tamiya`s 1/48 Sworfish Mk II kit` . I thought about the red centres, but Indian Ocean, near end of war, virtually no air opposition by then, most threat would be ground fire or return fire from the target and the difficulty of painting them over on board aircraft carrier ( HMS Unicorn delivered them ). Also it`s not the first aircraft to be so painted, I`ve seen photo`s of Fireflys in Australia similarly marked.

I couldn`t find a photo of the real thing either so P+S could be right.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, russ c said:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you don`t mind if I bother you with some photo`s of my latest effort

Cheers Russ

Actually I'm pretty put out that you trespassed on my valuable time to show me your model.

Quite superb. One of the best I've seen, I think...

• Thanks 1

Fabulous,..... I`ve always liked this scheme and for it to get the Russ treatment is a real treat,..... you have well and truly smashed it mate,......great job, I love it!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1