BAC Lightning 24" Serials (1:72)

will2017

I'm about to get stuck into a pair of Lightnings, using Modeldecal MD078 and note that they've skimped on the underwing serials - suggesting that I use MD035/037 instead. Alternatively, I could use Xtradecal X72-065, all three of which appear to be unavailable anywhere.

Is there an alternative decal sheet I could use, or is the only option self-printing? If so, is there a preferred font?

IIRC Fantasy Printshop also have sets of RAF postwar letters and numbers, with 24" being one of the most commonly used size they should have this one.

If self-printing, there's a font designed to reproduce the style most commonly seen on these aircraft, name is RAF_PW_ATH and can be downloaded here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020210183915/members.aol.com/p5219/fonts.htm

You can see some examples in this thread:

I've used the font many times to make my own serial numbers and I'm happy with it. Some aircraft however show different styles in some of the numbers and in this case the only option is to draw the number.

Very important thing: that font must be used typing without caps lock engaged, type small letters and you'll get the correct style. If you type capital letters nothing comes out.

Edited by Giorgio N

These are both excellent answers; in fact the X72-092 option hadn't twigged.

I've emailed Hannants this morning, and they've said that in addition to all of this, they're adding a reprint of X72065 to their website - should be online in a month or so.

Thanks for both your answers.

I have had a great deal of success printing my own decals for serials, stencils and various lines and other markings.

I do have the advantage of possessing a laser printer although decal sheets for inkjets are available, while I have found PowerPoint to be very well-sorted for scaling items.

One advantage was finding a font package for RAF serials: it's a bit awkward to use but it does provide the results as you can see below.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to learn more.

44328134831_cb17ddd631_z.jpg

44330030841_38cedc0467_z.jpg

Kind regards,

Neil