First biplane - Airfix 1:72 Tiger Moth in RAAF colours

I was delighted to see that the latest boxing of the Airfix Tiger Moth came with markings for a foliage green RAAF machine, so a good subject for my first biplane attempt. Completed straight out of the box as an aircraft from No. 12 Local Air Supply Unit RAAF, Kiarivu Airfield, Papua New Guinea, August 1945. While digging around I found this link to a photo of the actual aircraft at the Australian War Memorial Website with the following caption:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/096549/

CAPE WOM, WEWAK AREA, NEW GUINEA. 1945-09-14. FOLLOWING HIS FORMAL SURRENDER TO MAJ-GEN H.C.H. ROBERTSON, GOC 6 DIVISION ON 1945-09-13, LT-GEN H. ADACHI, COMMANDER 18 JAPANESE ARMY, WAS REQUIRED TO ATTEND A SERIES OF CONFERENCES WITH AUSTRALIAN STAFF OFFICERS TO DISCUSS ARRANGEMENTS ARISING FROM THE SURRENDER. AFTER THE CONFERENCES LT-GEN ADACHI WAS FLOWN TO KIARIVU, FROM WHENCE HE RETURNED TO HIS OWN HEADQUARTERS. PHOTOGRAPH SHOWS GEN ADACHI SEATED IN FRONT COCKPIT OF RAAF TIGER MOTH OF 12 LOCAL AIR SUPPLY UNIT PRIOR TO TAKEOFF. THE PILOT (REAR COCKPIT) IS FLYING OFFICER T.L. COLLIER.

It went together well, although the paint job is not of great standard as it was brush painted with the last dregs of a mix for foliage green that I mixed up from Tamiya acrylics for a RAAF spitfire last year. I made it a little grubby with an oil wash and finished with a coat of Tamiya Matt Clear from a rattle can. I decided against rigging for this first one - I may invest in some EZ line for the next one I do. Thanks for looking.

32721415398_9e2d0c1fe1_b.jpg

32721330938_555c534694_b.jpg

45681155905_c416860e2d_b.jpg

46543629622_5bd412ef1c_b.jpg

46595461141_70f56b0cce_b.jpg

46543630112_26630929bf_b.jpg

• Like 28

That’s a lovely Tiggie there Simon and something a little different to the yellow we all ‘love” to use! Although I do have the earlier Airfix box, I might just pick this one up as well and build it OOB as you have splendidly done. Thanks for the AWM link - it all helps with the research.

I’m not sure what Airfix suggest to use to replicate RAAF Foliage Green however would think that Hu149 is their tin of choice. IMO, this is not a bad option although I’m sure other may suggest otherwise. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments!

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Very nice Simon, it looks good in that shade. Do you remember what your paint mix was?

Steve. 

4 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Looking good! What is your recipe for 'Tamiya' foliage green?

I must say, looking at your result here I'm very tempted to add one of these to my collection.

I used Tamiya acrylic XF-26 Deep Green with some black added - can't tell you how much. I just added a bit and then looked at what a sample looked like brushed out. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a lovely Tiggie there Simon and something a little different to the yellow we all ‘love” to use! Although I do have the earlier Airfix box, I might just pick this one up as well and build it OOB as you have splendidly done. Thanks for the AWM link - it all helps with the research.

I’m not sure what Airfix suggest to use to replicate RAAF Foliage Green however would think that Hu149 is their tin of choice. IMO, this is not a bad option although I’m sure other may suggest otherwise. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave

My pleasure! And yes, its is Hu 149 they recommend. I actually have the earlier boxing, but the yellow and camouflage markings didn't really do it for me. This boxing though has this one and also a nice silver Royal Navy machine, which I will use on the one in the stash.

Cheers.

• Thanks 2

It's great to see a green Tiger Moth. I find people tend to fixate on exact colour, forgetting that plane paint fades and is affected by humidity, etc. Yours looks really good. Good weathering too. Nice one!

• Thanks 1