Canadian C130

People may have seen this model parked on top of my recent A400M but I realised that I hadn’t given it a proper outing here before. The kit the is Italeri 1/72, decent enough in shape in my uneducated opinion but with all the flaws of an old tooling in regard to fit, raised panel lines etc. In my view it’s hard to fathom why no manufacturer has come up with an up to date tooling of what is arguably the most important transport aircraft of the twentieth century, or the second half of it at least. I’m mean, I can understand why we don’t have a brand new Spartan Cruiser every few years but the Herc?! Come on!

Anyway, rant aside there was a fair bit of work went into this and I’m reasonably pleased with the result. The panel lines were all rescribed and the ghastly transparencies at the front were replaced by bits of cd case. It got the full works on the NMF, ie multiple layers of black primer cut back to mirror finish and then a patchwork of different AK Interactive Metal and Alclad. For reasons I can’t fully explain I ended up riveting the whole damn thing, which probably isn’t all that realistic although I have seen photos of NMF Hercs in heavy use that appeared most weathered at the rivets so it sort of works for me. Decals were aftermarket, can’t remember the brand but they came from Hannants and behaved themselves well. I kept weathering to the moving parts mostly like flaps etc but I wasn’t too sparing as I imagine an aircraft in the Canadian Arctic probably had quite a hard life.

45670776645_5497e85f96_b.jpg

45670768245_9fb872afc8_b.jpg

46585116191_fd447732aa_b.jpg

46532884662_4a42f05a42_b.jpg

46585119881_5f6db46a8b_b.jpg

On the shoulders of giants:

46532884402_0272838538_b.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

Your Herc looks great Liam! I am in the throws of rescribing a C-130, started a couple of years ago and have one wing to go (lost interest).

Nice rivet detail as well!

Found your A400 thread and that looks awesome as well

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Very nice, Goggsy. I have an affection for these as they used to fly the regular three-times weekly service between Gatwick and Germany. At times this was replaced by a CC-109. They linked up with (later) the regular CC-137 flights from stateside. Earlier, of course, they were CC-106s and later the "local" flights were flown by DHC-7s and -8s.

One point - these Hercs carried a "last three" on either side of the nose.

Martin

@goggsy - adding images

herc22

herc21

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Goggsy. I have an affection for these as they used to fly the regular three-times weekly service between Gatwick and Germany. At times this was replaced by a CC-109. They linked up with (later) the regular CC-137 flights from stateside. Earlier, of course, they were CC-106s and later the "local" flights were flown by DHC-7s and -8s.

One point - these Hercs carried a "last three" on either side of the nose.

Martin

@goggsy - adding images

herc22

herc21

Thanks for that Martin, those are great photos - wish I’d seen this in the flesh! I’ll have a look at the stash and see if I can find the original sheet - looking back at the Airdecal sheet online it seems that they were included so for some unknown reason I’ve just not put them on. *slaps back of head*

• Like 1

Hello Goggsy,

Good to see the CAF Herc on display. I always liked the scheme and red striping.

Reading your article, you did put a lot of extra time into this air frame.

Well it shows. Regards, Orion

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, goggsy said:

Thanks for that Martin, those are great photos - wish I’d seen this in the flesh! I’ll have a look at the stash and see if I can find the original sheet - looking back at the Airdecal sheet online it seems that they were included so for some unknown reason I’ve just not put them on. *slaps back of head*

It happens to us all, mate. I guess we all have great memories from our youth. I spent much of mine around Gatwick from the mid-sixties to ....... er... now!!!! Specifically I saw all the C-130E and H fleet with the exception of '310, which crashed early on. I have to qualify that and say that my days spotting and taking pictures at Gatwick stopped around the late 1970s. Those hercs were great, as were the Convairs ;). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1