HMNZS Achilles

Hi SB, to say that I'm bloody impressed is an understatement, that's darn nearly 8" long by my calcs, I'm truly in awe. I definitely agree that these were one of the best looking classes of cruisers out there, mind you. the Brits didn't make many ugly one to my mind. I'll look forward to seeing it come together.

Steve. 

3D has cost me about $400 NZ but worth every penny, I couldn't reproduce them accurately enough for that, however I drew the line at what you can see apart from some watertight doors and armoured windows. I made an early decision to try to do as much as possible myself as it would loose the faith with being Scratch built!!!! 

Hah...... mmmmmmmm......... Doh

Probably Acrylic case and on display at Marlborough RSA.

After a small amount of family time.

Bit rough in places but it helps also make her look real, 

thanks to all for support and encouragement

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

So you are in Marlborough?  I've just started my own 1/72 Achilles - I'll be cutting out the foam this week.  It will take me some time...I've embarked on an ambitious ship building plan (all 72).  Yours looks wonderful - you won't be able to play with it if it's in a glass cabinet.  A guy in Wellington sold a 1/35 scale Achilles last year (for a buck) and I seriously thought about driving down from Auckland to grab it (but it's not my scale, and really, who builds ships in that scale??).

Cheers

Yes Marlborough, plenty of wine nearby to help me ponder the imponderable!! I am still trying to flesh out the missing detail mine is based on drawings in a polish publication by Zvonimer Freivogel, with each of the Leanders being different from the deck upwards it has been a challenge. I have nearly completed a catapult but may end up scrapping it as I now suspect my powder charge (guess work version) should actually be gas or steam. Look forward to seeing your efforts, 

• 1 month later...
Achillesmay6

So while a little quiet things are progressing slowly, All port windows Port side in place and final colours in place awaiting a light overspray and weatheringMain 6" turrets coming together with X and Y more complete and detail being added. Camoflage was a bit of a challenge, as well as a bit patchy but once weathered this will fit in with how I want to present her.

• Like 7

Achillesmay8 Achillesmay5 Achillesmay4

Looking forward to getting some planking down but still a way to go before that, next major construction is to finish catapult and start and complete crane. from there the cutters and whalers need construction.

• Like 14

12 hours ago, Stupid Boy said:

regretting not making it a floater, would be too complicated now I fear.

Don’t regret making it a static model. This way it will sit in its pride of place in the RSA for who knows how long, admired by who knows how many. Making it float puts all that at risk.

• Like 1

:clap2:She's looking better and better all the time, worth a trip back to Marlborough just to see her in the flesh!

Now to talk the missus and the boy into the 26hr flight...:pilot:

Geoff 

• 2 weeks later...
port midships Aft superstructure Port side midships closeup Jun19 stbdcam

So, finally the Stbd side painted and overall light coat of washed out grey to tone things down, Turrets painted after adding front vent doors and rear doors, Ladders to be added yet, and may yet add rivets. Have made a different antenna fr'd of funnel more akin to a Yagi type. Long way to go yet. Port windows came out ok as did my armoured ones which I scratch built in the upper aft superstructure. So to now make various wooden deck boats, carly floats Oerlicons, plank the wooden area's finish the aft .5 vickers mount and observation room on superstructure.... the list seems to grow rather than diminish!!!!!!!!!

• Like 12