HMNZS Achilles

Just over 6 months into 1/72 scale build of HMNZS Achilles, What a Stupid Boy!!, Based on drawings from Polish print Leander book and my Dads photos and anything else I can glean from anywhere. When I figure out how to post images I will do so. This project has a lot of detail issues not easily resolved so in the odd place I have had to go with gut instinct.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Stupid Boy said:

How on earth do you add images????😆

they need to be hosted somewhere online, Flickr, Postimage,  village photos, your own bit of webspace. 

This gets asked frequently here ..

HTH

It's easiest to host them on a free image hosting site such as Flickr, Village.Photos or similar. You'll need to create a free account there and then you can create folders for your photo albums. Then, that site will give you an address for that image which you simply paste in to your posts. There's an FAQ at the top of the main forum explaining it more fully :)

• Thanks 1

IMG_1063

Sorry about detritus on foredeck, will have to talk to the Captain, Nothing up top really nailed down yet as I still have port lights to add the acetate, brows and reinforcing around anchor hole as well as a couple of ladders etc. Will be finished in a short lived camouflage.

• Like 8

Cat

Catapult and Walrus a work in progress, still trying to work out the piston and the cartridge mounts and where or how they might be mounted, hence bracing is incomplete. Every catapult I have looked at seems very different and not one close to Achilles.

• Like 14

Great subject and an ambitious project obviously being treated with great skill and dedication. 

This is is a warship I have often considered building - but never in 1/72!

Bravo and welcome to BM

• Like 1

Many thanks for the welcome Hmm yes the scale was my ego getting the better of me. The subject matter a personal love as my Father was a Chief Stoker on her. Even so I also believe that Achilles and the Leander class Light Cruisers were some of the best looking.

My model aeroplanes are missing me in the mean time!!

• Like 2

Wow - that looks hugely impressive and rather puts my modest efforts into perspective;)

Super nice work on the Walrus

I was very taken at Telford to see a resin Catapult allbeit in 1/48 scale 

Here's a link if it's of any value

Neomega resin

How long has this build taken so long and how long is it?

Well done for sussing the pic issue

Rob

Thanks for the link, it actually is very helpful so many thanks... 2.3m roughly, The gold foam hull plan form in 50mm deep (x 4) I had cut two years ago by one of my suppliers, But I started gluing them together about seven months ago and then shaping the hull, so now at this stage. Walrus a wreck I had given to me as when I started I could not for the life of me find one in 1/72 and I was probably too tight to import one, It was an old airfix one that had been glued together with what appeared to be an entire glue bottle and missing some struts and a float.... so I cleaned it up cast a new float and made new struts.... It's ok not perfect. The rigging lifts it. !/72 allows a bit more room to move with the ship though space is an issue. Have nice 3D printed .5 Vickers Quads coming, 21" torpedo tubes and 4" deck guns. I have drawn the line there though as apart from watertight doors and windows everything else will be scratch built. NO SKILL REQUIRED, its amazing what rubbish can be found that works!!! Yeh Interweb and things just hate me!!!

• Like 2

I disagree that there’s NO skill required- but In my own, very humble, projects I am constantly reminded that relatively little skill is needed.

I am sure that many kit builders would surprise themselves with what they could achieve if they had a crack at scratch-building

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gidday (insert name here), I just can't bring myself to call you 'Stupid Boy". Very impressive model you are building, and I just love those tubes and guns. Also, an interesting shadow in the photo above. Regards, Jeff.