1/350 HMS BULOLO scratchbuild ***FINALLY FINISHED***

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rob.  Apologies for not responding and indeed the lack of updates on this.  My eldest has just graduated from uni and then we were straight off to France for a few week's holiday with  very limited internet connectivity.  Didn't realise until we got there we were staying only about 5 miles from Trun but I couldn't find anything that suggested Heller did factory tours or had a factory shop.

The last bits I did before heading off to his graduation was to fit the forward carley floats.  Hmm, like the after ones, the frames, which are designed for the liberty ship after fitting are way too large.  I half suspected they would be after having to cut down the after frames.  The X brackets at the back don't look great but they pass a moderate scrutiny

Before:

48455309401_6613f24dc7_b.jpg

After:

48455311221_1153c9eeb2_b.jpg

Not sure how much will happen on this now for the next few weeks/months.  The builders are arriving later this week to do a whole raft of renovation work - part of which thanks to my lovely wife's idea is the creation of a dedicated modelling man-cave by bricking up three doors at what is currently the junction between our hall and the old conservatory; the new conservatory will have 2 sets of French doors leading into it so doesn't need that access whilst the other two doors haven't been used for years.  So it will give me a space about 2m x 1.5m in which I can create a bespoke working area.

• Like 14

Making some progress on the masts while I await the chaos that will ensue later this week and I have a slight dilemma.  There is an aerial clearly fitted to the top of the mainmast but I can't work out what it is so I'm open to any advice that others may have.

You can see it here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rp15222-Royal-Navy-Ship-HMS-Bulolo-built-1938-photo-6x4-/292289381024 whch looks like an early HFDF (like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Shamsher_Pakistan_SLV_Green_1951_detail.png above a Type 281, albeit a 281 that is elongated vertically rather than horizontally.

This image appears to show the same: http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=1769#v

I don't know when these 2 photos were taken but judging by the rest of her fit it would appear to be post the refit that followed Operation Overlord but before she arrived in the Far East.  I think both photos were taken at virtually the same time, just perhaps a minute or so apart.

This one which was clearly taken whilst in Eastern waters http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1511883 appears t just be the vertically aligned 281

Yet this one which I think was taken in Malta whilst heading East, appears to just be the HFDF: 

Bulolo 1938 05 - as HMS Bulolo (F82)

I'm open to suggestions any WW2 aerial experts may have

• Like 5

Ditto on both counts especially the hurting brain bit!

I've been quietly keeping an eye on this build and have just spent sometime more carefully reviewing it. A fascinating and very skilful build.

Superb work.

Terry

Not the greatest of photos - I'll try to retake it with a DSLR rather than a phone - but you get the gist of what this aerial looks like in 1/350.  The squares on the cutting board are 10mm to give an idea of scale

48500784831_6684612b7d_b.jpg

• Like 10

FH4 aerial complete so attention turned the rest of the masts which are a combination of cocktail sticks cut to the right length, placed in the chuck of a Dremmerl and turned down to the right thickness/taper and plastic rod.  Both have been drilled out to take a thin brass connecting rod.  Yards from master model brass rod.  First test fit shown below - I need to slightly tweak the angle of the main mast which angles slightly back as shown in this image but should be at the same angle as the foremast.

48556480926_7da0eb4728_b.jpg

• Like 14

It's the platform for the aft 6in mounting but its wrong and has to be replaced.

This photo appears to show the platform as rectangular but its far from clear and you'll recall back in post #49 I said I had found some plans on a US site for sale for $235.  Whilst I didn't buy them I did scrutinise the images they'd posted one of which shows that platform to be round.  So the rectangular one fitted there now is going to come off and a new circular one (which I have made and which is sitting with the turret) put on.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:29 PM, Chewbacca said:

part of which thanks to my lovely wife's idea is the creation of a dedicated modelling man-cave

Well done on that one, your good lady definitely sounds like she's worth hanging onto!

This build is looking superb.

Terry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Little more work continues in amongst all of the dust of the builders!

The final part of the fo'c'sle - the anchor cables - are now in place.  These are from Trumpeter Master Tools chain which although I concede does not replicate anchor cable in quite the same way that the new resin studded cable from YX Models does, I'm reasonably happy with it.  In fairness, although studded cable was standard warship fit, this was originally a merchant ship and not all merchant ship anchor cable in the inter-war period was studded.

48692257457_1f94ff8a5d_b.jpg

A new pack of guardrails arrived from Atlantic Models and so I've now got enough to finish of the railings around the after gun decks.  You can just about see them in this photo.

48692084776_065d3fc243_b.jpg

The platform for the after 6in gun has been swapped across to the correct round shape (the mounting itself is just rested there for effect for now) and attention has turned to the deck just forward of the aft well deck.  This is a large wide open area on the model but the one photo that shows that area in any sort of detail clearly shows that it is very busy but is too small to show me what is there.  I did wonder if there is a RAS stump mast laid down on its side but I think that is a much later innovation.   I know from this website (scroll down, left hand side) that this area carried two Bofors and there appears to be a raised platform inboard of that just aft of the raised 20mm sponsons, but I can't see anything else.  So there will be a degree of artistic licence. 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rob.

Made a little progress in amongst all the building work though it's not fun trying to work with a layer of brick dust on the bench.  Fortunately the model itself is in a glass cabinet in another room while they're on site!

Since the last update I've managed to get the rest of the detail onto the aft gundecks including scratchbuilding a small platform between the aft 40mm that I have no idea quite what it is nor actually what it looks like; I have just a hint of its shape from one photo at an obscure angle that shows probably 10-15% of the structure.

48777482966_70e69274e9_b.jpg

The aft 6 inch is now secure as are the masts though disaster struck this evening.  Not content with fighting builders' residue, I'm fighting cats as well.  I foolishly left the model on the bench this evening while I stopped to cook supper and when I came back, the main mast was bent half way up at an angle of about 80 deg and one of our kitties was looking very smug sat on the other end of the table.  The annoying thing is that this was just after an hour or so of fettling to get it in exactly the right angle before I applied the CA.  I've managed to fix it almost but unfortunately where it bent was just above the brass rod reinforcement so it's now an inherently weak structure butt join with less than about 1/4mm2 contact area.  The photo below shows it is still slightly bent aft but I'm hoping that when I start the rigging which will be next session I can use some tension to pull it back into line.

48777484321_e9370be30a_b.jpg

So I think now all of the upperdeck fittings are on there.  It's the rigging still to go - which is quite complex with a plethora of radio aerials in addition to the shrouds and halyards - plus finishing off some ship's company figures, a final matt coat, remove the masking for the bridge windows, gloss coat the sea and finally put the edging on the baseboard.  I've got a relatively quiet week this week coming so with a fair wind it might - and I stress might - be ready for the Bovington Show on Sunday.  Even if it's not I'll have something there so if you're coming to the show come over and say hi - I'll be on the Ferndown Royal British Legion Modellers stand most of the day

48777670427_ea9afb55e6_b.jpg

48777131248_8021a113d1_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd give a quick update.  Essentially I gave up trying to fight the builders/builders' dust a day or so after the last post and just packed up the whole bench up until they finished.  Good news is that they have - almost - but the past 3-4 weeks have been predominantly taken up with decorating all of the rooms they have they modified.  I'm hoping that another week or so should see the bulk of that finished (1.5 rooms to go before I hand over to the professionals for the lounge and hall/stairs/landing and I can get the bench up and running again.

• Like 3