Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice weathering PC and that flat coat looks the business! Can't find it on the Sovereign website though; what's it called please? :) 

You know, Buffers me old cock sparrer, I can't find it either! Mine is in a White Ensign Models-labelled tin, so maybe it's been discontinued, which would be a real pity if so.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Your Hurricanes are looking absolutely spiffy mate B) 

AFAIK we don't do the matt coat, which seems a shame, as it does look very nice indeed and finding a good consistent and reliable flat coat has been a bugbear of mine for some time... maybe I'll browbeat Jamie next time I see him :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

AFAIK we don't do the matt coat, which seems a shame, as it does look very nice indeed and finding a good consistent and reliable flat coat has been a bugbear of mine for some time... maybe I'll browbeat Jamie next time I see him :D 

Well in that case, I've ordered three more WEM tins from Spruebrothers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

AFAIK we don't do the matt coat, which seems a shame, as it does look very nice indeed and finding a good consistent and reliable flat coat has been a bugbear of mine for some time... maybe I'll browbeat Jamie next time I see him

A bugbear of mine too - if @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies can produce a reliable flat coat, I'm in! (That's me gently brow beating him too!) :D 

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Well in that case, I've ordered three more WEM tins from Spruebrothers.

Good idea - I can't find any online here :( 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Your Hurricanes are looking absolutely spiffy mate B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Let's have a chat about that next month. I have an idea...

• Like 7

Those Hurcs look great! Nice work on the weathering. Now, do I have the man-orbs to try something like that?

I have been wondering about which flat coat to use, if I ever get that far. I have a few options at hand. Some experimentation may be required.

Chris

Morning all,

IMG_20190216_123604

As you can see, the Hurris are all up on their pins. Two just need pitots, rear-view mirrors, and radio masts, but the third...

IMG_20190215_215327

IMG_20190215_215312

IMG_20190215_215327

IMG_20190215_215308

...is done. 

The PE landing lights in the wings are, I'm sad to say, not terribly obvious, as this rather unflattering photograph of my work shows:

IMG_20190215_221355

They're in there, though.

I'm happy to report that the unkeyed weighted wheels proved little difficulty to fit; my method was to fill the wheel's slot (quiet in the back) with Tamiya Extra Thin, let it sit for a few seconds, and then carefully scoot it onto the peg, then sit the aircraft on its gear to get the flat part oriented. By the third time, I got it right on my first go. 

Regarding the tailwheel, one should clip it off the sprue just below the slightly bulged area where it connects to the the sprue, and then it fits perfectly with a little TET. 

Painting the Dark Earth over the Dark Green (as seen, from L to R, on the first two Hurris below) does seem to affect its colouration a bit:

IMG_20190216_123614

There's nothing more petty than complaining about something a modelling company gives you for free, but I do wonder if Arma might consider releasing reversed masks to enable one to do the Dark Earth first. Pretty minor as quibbles go, though.

• Like 23

15 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I'm curious about the glossy prop spinner. Would not these have been a matte paint on the original Hurricanes? Or is this something you haven't done yet?

Chris

They would be, I imagine, though this image from Arma seems to suggest at least a faint sheen:

Frantisek-2.jpg?1543485939042

• Like 1

Nice line-up! I like what you achieved with the oils, I will have to try that out myself sometime. I dare say the last oil paints I used were for a paint-by-number Last Supper I did as a Confirmation project. It didn't turn out quite as nice as Leonardo's, I'm afraid.

I just received my Arma kit, and I have to say it looks quite nice in the box. And after looking at your builds, it has to be the definitive Mk.I in 1:72 scale. Would you agree? I'm thinking about doing a double build with this kit and the Airfix rag-wing. Would be an interesting project.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

They would be, I imagine, though this image from Arma seems to suggest at least a faint sheen:

Frantisek-2.jpg?1543485939042

Yes, of course. Not a dead flat but a slight sheen. Something I did many, many moons ago, when I used to build crappy looking kits at an alarming rate, was to rub a finger over dead flat paint to give it a slight sheen. I had read that in an old model magazine and tried it out. It looked good on prop blades, spinners and exhaust pipes. If the fingers were too dry and clean, you could wipe you digits across your forehead or beside your nose to oil them up a bit.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

I was so pleased with it (despite the alarming amber colour it is in the tin)

I'm not wanting to cast a negative light on this matt coat but IF it behaves anything like Humbrols Matt Varnish #49, also a yellowish colour , it has potential to yellow over time as happened to some of mine that I had used the Humbrol matt  varnish on.  Not to be confused with the Humbrol mattcote which doesn't appear to yellow. Having said this, at this point in time, your Hurris are looking a bit superb. 👍

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

And all done!

IMG_20190216_183428

IMG_20190216_182214

All in all, a fantastic kit. It's everything I think you'd want in a kit of a British icon: accurate, fairly uncomplicated to build, good fit, detailed, and pretty fun to put together.

And that's a wrap, fellas. My suspenseful misadventures continue in Burn Down Their Hanging Trees.

Here's a teaser:

• Like 24