Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

Condolences indeed to you and your folks young man.

Our Jack Russell terrier(or should that be "terrorist"?,she used to be anyway)is very nearly 15 years old and is now beginning to 

age rapidly,we are dreading the fateful day ourselves when we have to let her go peacefully.

On the other hand,the Hurricanes are looking very fine indeed,I note that our local Aldi(a cut price supermarket here in UK)

has Airfix "starter"kits of a Hurricane(a Mk.1 too)left over from Christmas one assume at a cut price,one may have to invest

one thinks.

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Thanks 1

My deepest condolences on your loss. We lost our weebit, Sushi,  two years ago and we're still not quite over it. As for pets becoming as much loved as family members, I loved Sushi way more than I do some of my family. Wife and 3 daughters excluded from that list.

39502127151_cd85ef9f9d.jpg

39502127211_12ce5b5ff3.jpg

Chris

• Like 6

Thanks all for your kind condolences.

In happier news, and which I'd meant to mention earlier, I purchased my tickets to the UK for November 1-14, so if you're at Telford, I (along with the vastly more interesting Cookie and Navy Bird and Ced) hope I'll see you there! And if not, or if things go wrong, I can always revert to my plan of immigrating illegally, so look closely at whoever's washing the dishes at any restaurant you're at...could be me.  

Back to unhappy news: amazingly, I allowed myself to run out of Gunze Matt Flat coat, so I ordered three different types of flat coat (Mig Ultra Matt, more Gunze, and what must be an ancient, cobweb-encrusted bottle of Colourcoats Matt from when the line was still owned by White Ensign Models), and hopefully they'll be here in the nearer future.

In any case, to my surprise, since I've spent a lot of my modelling life badmouthing them (but also needing to use them because of their preponderance of Polish marking options), the kit Techmod decals are great, and have performed better than the aftermarket sheet I'm using for Skalski's Hurricane. Really very different from their old decal sheets that I've used. 

• Like 10

As others have said, condolences on the loss of your beloved pet.

10 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

Our Jack Russell terrier(or should that be "terrorist"?,she used to be anyway)is very nearly 15 years old and is now beginning to 

age rapidly,we are dreading the fateful day ourselves when we have to let her go peacefully.

We are in a similar position with our beloved Jack Russel Terrorist who is somewhere between 14-16 years old (we got him as a rescue some there's some doubt), I feel we're living with a ticking bomb...

11 minutes ago, Procopius said:

In any case, to my surprise, since I've spent a lot of my modelling life badmouthing them (but also needing to use them because of their preponderance of Polish marking options), the kit Techmod decals are great, and have performed better than the aftermarket sheet I'm using for Skalski's Hurricane. Really very different from their old decal sheets that I've used.

That's reassuring to know, I've always shied away from their decals based on comments from some on this site.

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

In happier news, and which I'd meant to mention earlier, I purchased my tickets to the UK for November 1-14, so if you're at Telford, I (along with the vastly more interesting Cookie and Navy Bird and Ced) hope I'll see you there! And if not, or if things go wrong, I can always revert to my plan of immigrating illegally, so look closely at whoever's washing the dishes at any restaurant you're at...could be me.  

Good news

Just over half the magnificent seven!

I intend to be there, and intend to seek you all out

I'll be one in the stripey jumper

Box On

Strickers

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

In happier news, and which I'd meant to mention earlier, I purchased my tickets to the UK for November 1-14, so if you're at Telford, I (along with the vastly more interesting Cookie and Navy Bird and Ced) hope I'll see you there!

Brilliant! Are you planning a visit to Duxford or its environs in those two weeks?

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

the kit Techmod decals are great, and have performed better than the aftermarket sheet I'm using for Skalski's Hurricane. Really very different from their old decal sheets that I've used.  

Great to hear that! These decals are new formula, prepared by Techmod specially for the Arma Hobby kits.

The Hurricanes look great!!!

• Like 2

That's great news PC, both on the upcoming Telford visit, and the compliant decals.

11 hours ago, Procopius said:

And if not, or if things go wrong, I can always revert to my plan of immigrating illegally, so look closely at whoever's washing the dishes at any restaurant you're at...could be me.

I have shed on my allotment which you can stay in indefinitely, rent free ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

That's great news PC, both on the upcoming Telford visit, and the compliant decals.

I have shed on my allotment which you can stay in indefinitely, rent free ...

That sounds like a great offer, indeed it is but beware

Tom's allotment is alongside the River Cole, of which Coleshill got its name*, this river has been known to flood historically and the allotments half a mile upriver spent several days/weeks under water in past winters

*The Hill in its name?

Do I wonder if it became a town just there because being Uphill of the Cole was important?

Hmm, who knows?

However Ed baby, whenever you defect we can hide you from the federales swiftly

Sorted!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sorry to hear about Madeleine. A tough call but the right one for her sake, I hope you’re all as ok as can be dear sir. Wonderful news about Telford. I should attempt to try and make my first visit there this year too. Take care.

John. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm quite excited about the prospect of meeting Edward, Cookie and NavyBird all three :)

Likewise! As I write, I'm opening a parcel full of Colourcoat tinlets just arrived from the US stockist. My big Spit project shall be adorned with your paint!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Advise H&B to restock - they're out of quite a few good colours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Likewise! As I write, I'm opening a parcel full of Colourcoat tinlets just arrived from the US stockist. My big Spit project shall be adorned with your paint!   :)

Probably all sent to me, I fear, I just collected 14 tinlets from the mailroom here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Okay chaps, sorry for the long delay! Had to wait for my flat coats to arrive, and the postal person dropped them off today. I'd never used Sovereign's Matte Coat before, so I sent Jamie a Facebook message at the unseasonable hour of 10PM your time, and he immediately replied with advice on how to use it; such are the perils small businessmen face in these latter-day degenerate times. Anyway, long story short, I was so pleased with it (despite the alarming amber colour it is in the tin) that I ended up using it on all three Hurricanes. 

So the other night, I tried a spot of oil weathering, using those Oilbrushers thingies, which I scoffed at as an overpriced way of simplifying proper modelling when they came out and then promptly bought two sets, although I'm not very good at oil weathering. I am, in fact, the worst.

IMG_20190214_184157

IMG_20190214_184218

I also added some not very good oil staining on the undersides:

IMG_20190214_184226

So today I was ready to go with my matte coating.

Here you can see one side sprayed and one uncoated:

IMG_20190215_163605

Bammo! Flat in one pass! Yes please.

All flattened:

IMG_20190215_172407

And of course I couldn't resist the temptation to unmask immediately:

IMG_20190215_165408

• Like 23

Wow!

Nice weathering PC and that flat coat looks the business! Can't find it on the Sovereign website though; what's it called please? :) 

• Sad 1