Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

Im not sure if it matters .. I was taught always paint from light to dark. The darker color covers the lighter ones easier. If you go dark to light you would need a heavy coat of paint to cover the darker color.

As for masking i use white poster tack worms rolled moderately thick to then be flattened. Occasionally i use Tamiya or Blue painters tape to get super hard demarcations. The trick with tape is to pull it off shortly after you're done painting. The paint is dry but  still soft. This way it doesn't get ridges from the tape. With the worms it depends on what angle you spray at to get hard or feathered edges. Im spraying two spitfires today and just finished a Tempest using the worms. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I honestly prefer to "mount" the paper masks on little rolls of Tamiya tape. Cheaper, less likelihood of lifting, and I think the effect is slightly better (and less likely to produce paint "ridges") than if one used tape. Regarding DE over DG, I don't really think it should make a bit of difference, certainly not the way I paint. Both are pretty dark colours.

Oh! I may try out your masking method.

Chris

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im not sure if it matters .. I was taught always paint from light to dark. The darker color covers the lighter ones easier. If you go dark to light you would need a heavy coat of paint to cover the darker color.

As for masking i use white poster tack worms rolled moderately thick to then be flattened. Occasionally i use Tamiya or Blue painters tape to get super hard demarcations. The trick with tape is to pull it off shortly after you're done painting. The paint is dry but  still soft. This way it doesn't get ridges from the tape. With the worms it depends on what angle you spray at to get hard or feathered edges. Im spraying two spitfires today and just finished a Tempest using the worms. 

That's what I was thinking of trying. I think there's some older blue painters tape downstairs. Now I'm torn as to which method to use. I think I'll need a drink and a ponder.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

That's what I was thinking of trying. I think there's some older blue painters tape downstairs. Now I'm torn as to which method to use. I think I'll need a drink and a ponder.

Chris

The obvious solution is to build more Hurricanes...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Hello Chris if you have a garbage kit that you can slap together, do it and try all the methods discussed. You would have four wing surgaces to practice on. I have a few junkers i use a paint mules/testers for this very reason. 

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Chris if you have a garbage kit that you can slap together, do it and try all the methods discussed. You would have four wing surgaces to practice on. I have a few junkers i use a paint mules/testers for this very reason. 

I got this, for whenever I get around to getting set up for spraying. The world seems to be conspiring to limit my time in the hobbyhole.

45772806791_0cca08c952_b.jpg

Chris

40 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The world seems to be conspiring to limit my time in the hobbyhole.

Sorry to hear that, its still model building wether its a piece a minute or piece a week. 

• Like 3

A run of not-great luck (or just ol' January fulfilling its normal role as the butthole of the calendar year) has culminated in Winston vomiting like it's his full-time job (don't have kids), and I had to leave work early this afternoon when Mrs P became overwhelmed and began sending single-word all-lowercase messages, never a good sign where she's concerned. All fine, I'm sure, I only have to get on an airliner for a five hour flight to Las Vegas for work very very very early on Friday, so it's not like the flu would be a serious inconvenience, who doesn't like uncontrollably vomiting while trapped in a steel tube five miles up? There's been a lot of handwashing and Lysol wiping of surfaces in the house today.

I'm turning in shortly, but I masked and sprayed one Hurri with blu-tac, then sprayed the Dark Green, then decided this was all, honestly, way more work than I wanted to do, so I just sprayed the other two green and'll use the Arma paper masks in the fullness of time, because why go out of my way to make life even harder for myself. So at least we'll get to see those paper masks in action, though probably not before I leave (at 3AM on Friday) for Midway airport and thence to the City of Sin, where I'll be running around taking photos and hopefully getting word that the social media policy I wrote has been approved by our antediluvian board of governors. Maybe they'll give me more money? (No, they won't.) In any case, I'll have a smallish per diem for food, and if I'm not barfing my guts up nonstop this weekend, I'll at least eat well through Tuesday, when I fly home. Wish me luck, say a prayer for me, sacrifice a goat, whatever you have to do.  

2019-01-23_10-38-59

• Like 23

3am start yuck. Hope you avoid the bug and get your policy signed off. At least Las Vegas shouldn't be stupid hot at this time of year. I’ve been there when it was over 100F and it was not nice!

PS Hurricane looks good!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Scarify a coat? I've got an old parka I can rub with sandpaper, is this a colonial thing?

I was going to wish you an ironic 'best of luck' as it was Las Vagas.

Just re read your post....sacrifice a goat, need to get to an optician.

I have flipped between the blu tac rolls, copies of paper mask in Tam tape and just paper masks, in 1/72 unless the rolls are teeny tiny then I think the over/underspray is too pronounced. just my 5p worth.

Nice build tho, as always

Box On

Strickers

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I only have to get on an airliner for a five hour flight to Las Vegas for work very very very early on Friday,

Lucky you PC, Vegas just as Chicago gets an Arctic Clipper. Starting friday about 6 a.m. Temperatures will be -25 with wind chill. That and we’re supposed to get snow through Monday night. Heavy snow starts on Sunday going into Monday. Wish i was going to Vegas 😉

Vegas - hmmm. The site of an annual conference and not my favourite place after the fourth time TBH

That said, I can recommend the Luxor Buffet if a ) you want to pig out at a reasonable cost and/or b ) you want to look skinny compared to your fellow diners.

Masking? Paper templates and '3M Re-mount'. You knew I'd say that didn't you. 

I also bought some 'sticky mat adhesive' that promises to do the same job but is (much) cheaper.

Certainly cheaper than a vinyl cutter that makes both redundant (smug, sorry) :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Vegas - hmmm. The site of an annual conference and not my favourite place after the fourth time TBH

CES? Or...the Adult Video Awards? The latter is being held at the same time as our meeting, though mercifully in a different hotel.

• Haha 9

:rofl2:

Sadly not. Computer stuff.

I used to go to the Cognos Partner / User conference at the Venetian (nice).

IBM then bought them and merged the product with other Business Analytics products, meaning the Venetian was too small for the tens of thousands of people, so off to the Mandalay Bay / Luxor it was. Have you been there? It's big. Like sore feet twenty minute walk INSIDE from your room to the conference reception.

2.1 million gross square feet of meeting and exhibit space - I've walked it all.

In later years I just went to presentations (death by PowerPoint) that were close to each other.

I'm not missing it, in case you wondered.

• Like 3

An old an sadly passed on friend of mine used to live near to Reno(because he loved the air races I believe) and called

Las Vegas "Lost Wages".

"Antidiluvian"you say,I thought that was some kind of power source for the Tardis or one of The Doctor's old enemies young man.

• Like 1

Good news! Winston apparently just has strep. He's thrown up before when he's had bad colds, and this isn't, like, great news, but it does substantially lessen the odds that I'll be wintering in Upchuck City, Pop.1 this weekend.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

That said, I can recommend the Luxor Buffet if a ) you want to pig out at a reasonable cost and/or b ) you want to look skinny compared to your fellow diners.

Very helpful, Buffers! I'll make a stop if it's not too far from Caesar's Palace.

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Would be my choice, colour demarcation is more to scale.

11 hours ago, HAMP man said:

I have flipped between the blu tac rolls, copies of paper mask in Tam tape and just paper masks, in 1/72 unless the rolls are teeny tiny then I think the over/underspray is too pronounced. just my 5p worth.

I'm inclined to agree, gentlemen. Really appreciate Arma going to the trouble to make the masks available for free. I'd love to see more manufacturers emulate them.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Lucky you PC, Vegas just as Chicago gets an Arctic Clipper. Starting friday about 6 a.m. Temperatures will be -25 with wind chill. That and we’re supposed to get snow through Monday night. Heavy snow starts on Sunday going into Monday. Wish i was going to Vegas 😉

Looks like I'm leaving just in time! Yeesh. I have no idea why people settled here in the first place. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'll make a stop if it's not too far from Caesar's Palace.

Everything's too far in Vegas. Do NOT, as my colleague did, be fooled by the hotel signs in the distance - they're HUGE! Get a cab :) 

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

Everything's too far in Vegas. Do NOT, as my colleague did, be fooled by the hotel signs in the distance - they're HUGE! Get a cab :) 

Bah, it's only 2.5 miles! That's just a relaxing walk, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Teuchter said:

Walk? but you are in America, will they let you? Have a good time, now you know the family is fine 

Don

Hello from my ride to the airport! I do fear crowds of gawking tourists, as I have extremely firm ideas about how one ought to walk (straight lines, no drifting, don't walk two abreast unless there's room for foot traffic in the other direction or faster people headed in the same direction, don't stop suddenly or block crosswalks, etc) and respond with icy passive aggression if they're not respected. It's a major reason for my preferring to run on a treadmill, no bufoons to suddenly wander in your way, though amazingly, the ones at work inexplicably display someone doing just this on their little first-person video of running through some German city (I pretend I've brolen out of a Stalag Luft), and it drives me nearly into an apoplexy every time I see it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5