Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

Good news that Grant is OK, kids can be quite robust at that age because they don't know any different to just relaxing and going with the flow, us grown ups on the other hand probably do far more damage to ourselves by trying to prevent injury.

Your progress on the Hurricanes is probably just the therapy you needed to get over the incident.

• Thanks 1

Good job you built him robust PC, ouch and blimey

Also a good job the lady managed to make her way home too

Another good job?

The way that you are producing a good detailed description of the good bits in these kits, I hope the producer is grateful because the way you are writing them up must be good for business

The Hurris are looking very good, do keep the kids chained to the foot of the stairs

Safer that way

;)

Glad to hear he's ok, kids do bounce pretty well, at least compared to us oldies!

I remember carrying my baby sister (so I must have been about 6) when my brother (3) called that Tom & Jerry was on. I just happened to be at the top of the stairs....but not for long! We both went down the whole flight, and both unharmed (although some may dispute that!) Needless to say, Mum wasn't too chuffed......

Ian

• Like 1

A typically very late arrival from Vulcanicity but these are looking the bees knees PC - and your prose is as soaring as ever, despite baby near-disasters and photoetch succumbing to the carpet monster, Photoetchivorans horridus (subspecies P. h. americanus). Seems to be confirming my suspicion that this kit is AWESOME.

I'd be very pleased to meet you at Telford - I skipped 2018 as I was unemployed and stretching every penny, but mercifully some fool has offered me a job so I'll be back this year! Anyway, on with the Hurricane show... taking notes here at the back!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I well remember when our eldest daughter Lauren was about 3 or 4 and was at the back door, saying goodbye to me as I was going out. As I slowly closed the door she was looking out the narrowing gap saying bye bye. The edge of the steps down to the basement were right there. She slipped and fell down the 10 wooden steps to the concrete floor at the bottom. I don't remember running down the stairs, I just remember that it was like I just zoomed in on her and then I was there at the bottom. She wasn't unconscious but not quite fully alert. I picked her up while the wife got her younger sister and we took here to emergency. They checked her out and physically she was fine. After a few minutes she just sort of popped back to full alertness. The nurse talked to her, asking a few simple question, then announced that she was fine and we could go home.

It scared the living crap out of me. I was a nervous wreck for awhile. The next day I had a contractor come in to modify the stairs so there was some extra foot space at the top, between the door and the top step. A couple years later we re-did the unfinished basement into a rec-room so the kids would have a good sized, well lighted place to play, especially during our long dark winters. The stairs were carpeted, too, but no one has ever fallen down them yet.

Thanks to Canada's health system, that visit to emergency didn't cost us a dime.

Glad that Grant is fine and the Hurricane is looking great.

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

I'd be very pleased to meet you at Telford - I skipped 2018 as I was unemployed and stretching every penny, but mercifully some fool has offered me a job so I'll be back this year! Anyway, on with the Hurricane show... taking notes here at the back!

I fear I may prove a disappointment to many, as I'm quite shy in real life, but fortunately Bill and Cookie and Ced are exceptionally charming one and all, so I can fade slightly into the background. That said, I look forward to meeting many Britmodellers. And who knows? If Brexit continues to go so smoothly, and the US government remains shut down, I may never have to leave!

In any case, while I'm waiting for out of town friends who don't have a GPS and are now running ninety minutes late as a result of passing the exit to my town twice in different directions, a quick progress report:

Sky is on the underbellies:

IMG_20190120_115454

And the gear doors:

IMG_20190120_115458

And I know I already showed you the props, but they look so nice that I'm gonna show you again:

IMG_20190120_115502

More later (I hope).

• Like 23

Pleased to hear Grant survived his tumble - obviously made of sturdy stuff! 

Hurricanes looking very smart PC :) 

You have friends without GPS? Wow…

I do wish you'd stop playing down your warm and friendly character PC - shyness is not an issue when you're among people who know you well, albeit only online, but I can say that I found you to be a very amusing and erudite chap, so there! :D 

(First round's on you)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

With all here I'm glad to hear the little one is fine, PC! See, that's one of the many reasons I don't have any children; I have enough trouble taking care of myself. Meanwhile, on to your Hurricanes - excellent work on yours! I, like Steve, bought my Hurricane at least partly due to the SAAF markings. It's all part of a clever plan I have to do the aircraft that fought in the East African Campaign, on both sides. Regarding the kit itself, I received mine yesterday and I can say I'm fair chuffed with it! Lovely little kit, with excellent moulding and very good fit for the parts I've test-fitted so far, which is all the main ones (wing, fuselage, tail planes). I look forward to Arma Hobby's further modellistic endeavours (and you finishing your Hurris so I can see what mine's supposed to look like).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Nice work! They are all looking fine. My kit has arrived in the UK but not my address yet.

Glad to hear Grant is OK. My oldest rolled out of a top bunk onto a stone floor in Italy many years ago. Children are very bouncy...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

GENTLEMEN.

IMG_20190121_203637

It feels real now, doesn't it? Like it's really happening. Colourcoats RAF Dark Earth, of course. 

Grant, by the way, is fully recovered, and is once again playing his favourite game of "hiding (but not very well) and waiting for someone to go 'wheeeeeere's Grantyyyyyyy?'"

IMG_20190121_085706

IMG_20190121_083645

7 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I've just noted the radiator etch doesn't look like a great fit. I'll bear that in mind for mine.

It did not fit well, but mercifully went in easy. The radiator in general is probably the area that needs the most cleanup, but they cleaned up well for me.

• Like 21

Morning Edward

Those Hurricane look great, your doing sterling work mate - nice one. Good to hear that Grant is none the worse for wear following his tumble, that  must have been a nightmare for you.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those Hurricanes look wonderful and it is good to hear that your son is alright after his tumble,as the other's mention,

young children are remarkably bouncy.

As a slight aside and with reference to Geoff Page and his terrible injuries,you may remember this gentleman in a certain 1969 film:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/8204673/Bill-Foxley.html

Sorry for the slight thread plunder and many thanks.

DW

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

A long day has left me pretty tired, but here's a slight service for my fellow Americans and others using letter-sized paper as opposed to European A4. The Arma paper masks are sized to A4, so I've split the A and B schemes into two pieces; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cnudb2k2yu3dhr/AAC5Fhr878V5sGd4U5vx2Ve4a?dl=0

Be sure to select "Actual Size" rather than "Fit to Page" when you print, and you're golden.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

A long day has left me pretty tired, but here's a slight service for my fellow Americans and others using letter-sized paper as opposed to European A4. The Arma paper masks are sized to A4, so I've split the A and B schemes into two pieces; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8cnudb2k2yu3dhr/AAC5Fhr878V5sGd4U5vx2Ve4a?dl=0

Be sure to select "Actual Size" rather than "Fit to Page" when you print, and you're golden.

Nice!

I had posted a link to these masks a few weeks ago:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049009-downloadable-hawker-hurricane-mki-camo-masks-from-arma-hobby/&tab=comments#comment-3238551

I did notice in the instructions that it says to paint the Dark Green first, then add the masks and paint the Dark Earth. I always thought it was supposed to be Dark Earth then Dark Green. Opinions?

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Nice!

I had posted a link to these masks a few weeks ago:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049009-downloadable-hawker-hurricane-mki-camo-masks-from-arma-hobby/&tab=comments#comment-3238551

I did notice in the instructions that it says to paint the Dark Green first, then add the masks and paint the Dark Earth. I always thought it was supposed to be Dark Earth then Dark Green. Opinions?

Chris

Ack! you're quire right, I don't know how I missed that! I think I'll just have to mask off with blu-tac and tape this time, then.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Ack! you're quire right, I don't know how I missed that! I think I'll just have to mask off with blu-tac and tape this time, then.

I was planning on using commercial masking tape and using the ARMA masks to cut out the tape. Now I'll have to study the real camo pattern and see if the masks will work or not. I'm not too sure about the DE over the DG. It just seems backwards to everything I've heard in the past.

Chris

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

I was planning on using commercial masking tape and using the ARMA masks to cut out the tape. Now I'll have to study the real camo pattern and see if the masks will work or not. I'm not too sure about the DE over the DG. It just seems backwards to everything I've heard in the past.

I honestly prefer to "mount" the paper masks on little rolls of Tamiya tape. Cheaper, less likelihood of lifting, and I think the effect is slightly better (and less likely to produce paint "ridges") than if one used tape. Regarding DE over DG, I don't really think it should make a bit of difference, certainly not the way I paint. Both are pretty dark colours.

• Like 6