Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

5 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

It's also where the Magna Carta was signed in 1245, so as an American you could also call it the birthplace of the Constitution!

In fact, my employer paid for a big honking monument to be put up there for this reason.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I believe Buffers has expressed a preference for only one day, to avoid fatigue with the wonders on display and to preserve us from financial disaster. The goal is to see as much of England as possible, before I immigrate illegally, just like they warned you about have to go home. I know I very much want to see the RAF Memorial at Runnymede.

Good luck with that, I know folks who don't see it all in two days!

6 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Good luck with that, I know folks who don't see it all in two days!

I've never seen everything in two days but then I do need to man the club stand for periods.

We're are like 'children in a sweet shop' when it comes to SMW/

Stuart

• Like 1

I'll prepare some BM badges for 'the team' - I already have mine :) 

You're going to wear a T-shirt and shorts? In November? In Telford? Won't it be hidden under the coat and sweater*? Oh wait, you're used to Chicago temperatures… carry on.

Perhaps just one day and Saturday is preferred for perdu's usual BM gathering. I know there's a lot to see at the show but we currently have forty-three (yes, forty-three!) places on the list of 'things to visit' and the guys are only here for a relatively short time. We've yet to confirm the final list but the RAF Museum at Cosford is just down the road so we'll be staying over and fitting that in.

PC posted a request for suggested places to visit and I think we have most things covered! We just need to firm up on dates and book an hotel somewhere near Telford.

Oh, and plan a route.

We'll post the itinerary nearer the time so that people can join us if they so wish - it'll be great to put names to the faces :) 

Currently it looks like this:

31743517847_6ef88a04bf_z.jpg

on Flickr

(Ooh, just found out by accident that you can drag photos from the OSX photo app straight to a Flickr window - cool! That'll be handy)

* Of course I mean pullover or jumper but I translated that to save confusion. Did it work?

• Like 7

I'm getting a little worried here, PC. This is going far too easily for you. Usually your builds have something of a Greek tragedyesque quality to them, as the doomed hero fights vainly against the cruel (modelling) fates. But unlike Greek tragedies, happily, your builds always seem to turn out quite well in the end. Indeed, your build has me looking forward to my kit. I feel a little ashamed now only buying one, but as I can't build this as a Soviet version (not easily), I can't justify buying two. After all, I don't have a model of every Soviet-built WWII fighter. Yet.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I'm getting a little worried here, PC. This is going far too easily for you. Usually your builds have something of a Greek tragedyesque quality to them, as the doomed hero fights vainly against the cruel (modelling) fates.

I know, Jason. I'm scared too.

2019-01-10_12-30-42

Wings are on. The closest to tragedy so far is that one Hurri's cockpit is a little sparse owing to escaping PE and the little V-shaped framing part (visible at the bottom of the photo) being uncooperative and falling out. They don't precisely click into place (well, the tailfin does), but fit is still quite impressive. The plastic, I should mention, behaves really well with Tamiya Extra Thin cement, it's been a joy to glue, very well-behaved. 

58 minutes ago, CedB said:

You're going to wear a T-shirt and shorts? In November? In Telford? Won't it be hidden under the coat and sweater*? Oh wait, you're used to Chicago temperatures… carry on.

Well, I probably won't wear shorts, as I have a birth defect which, though largely corrected by a decade's worth of expensive (and very, very painful) outpatient surgery, has left me with an immense portwine birthmark along one leg. Also I believe it indecent to flaunt one's knees brazenly in a public setting. 

1 hour ago, CedB said:

We'll post the itinerary nearer the time so that people can join us if they so wish - it'll be great to put names to the faces :) 

Yes! I mean, I'm quite disappointing in person, but Cookie and Bill and Buffers are all absolute delights, and how many other things in life are even 75% good right off the bat?

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm quite disappointing in person

Rubbish I say! Great company in my experience. Be proud young Sir! :) 

Nice work on the Hurris - can't wait for mine to arrive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I bubble with excitement at the prospect of meeting you for'n guys too Eddie baby

A serious note, I'm advised that hotelling near to Telford becomes extremely ....err difficult to book near to the day

Get in quickish, I believe I may arrange to stay overnight too

Conversations on this have to be begun on Sunday week

• Like 5

I don't normally bother with WIP threads since, as the eternal newbie, I find the techniques involved are beyond the reach of my ten magic thumbs but I was drawn to your name when somebody on a RFI thread mentioned your magnificent prose.  (And magnificent it is indeed).  But looking at the office detail you've done... If I ever acquired the skills and patience to pull that off (and it would have to involve a deal with the Devil himself) I'd never close a fuselage, simply leave it open for all to see.  I console myself in the knowledge that in 45 years as a professional musician I had skills others found remarkable and mysterious.  If, however, I ever discover you to be capable of playing Charlie Parker transcriptions o a saxophone I'll be forced to fly to Chicago, rent a suitable car and slam your fingers in the door!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

If, however, I ever discover you to be capable of playing Charlie Parker transcriptions o a saxophone I'll be forced to fly to Chicago, rent a suitable car and slam your fingers in the door!

I'm relieved to inform you that I would struggle to produce a recognizable tune on a kazoo.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Pete said:

But looking at the office detail you've done... If I ever acquired the skills and patience to pull that off (and it would have to involve a deal with the Devil himself) I'd never close a fuselage, simply leave it open for all to see.

Really, it's all out of the box; I had to do very little other that paint it. The hardest part has been keeping the photoetch from pinging out of my cheap tweezers. No advanced techniques were used!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I had to do very little other that paint it.

With such self-deprecation I would tend to assume you're a transplant from the UK but earlier in the thread you mentioned your midwestern accent.  I've decided you're an honorary Brit whether you like it or not! I was a long-time honorary American, having lived over there from 75-09 in various states. (My personal state was usually confused.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

What a delightful kit,the detail is a far,far cry from when I last "put glue to plastic" back in the 1970's.

And such excellent background and historical fact to boot, a first class way to honour and remember not only  The Glorious Dead,

but also the survivors of "The Few".

I believe that fire was one of the greatest worries of Hurricane pilots due to it having fuel tanks fitted into the wings

and the aircraft's "open" construction.

The Spitfire was a more "fireproof" aeroplane in the event of such an emergency.

Many thanks to you young man,not only for bringing this lovely kit to our attention,but also for a superb history lesson to boot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Procopius

Thank you for bringing the historical aspect to your build.  In these febrile nationalistic times its worth remembering about Poles giving their lives for Britain.  I know the story of this combat too and was prompted to model Horst Tietzen's 109.  Really helpful to get the book series Battle of Britain, combat archive.

Can't wait to see more!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, DaveWilko said:

What a delightful kit,the detail is a far,far cry from when I last "put glue to plastic" back in the 1970's.

And such excellent background and historical fact to boot, a first class way to honour and remember not only  The Glorious Dead,

but also the survivors of "The Few".

I believe that fire was one of the greatest worries of Hurricane pilots due to it having fuel tanks fitted into the wings

and the aircraft's "open" construction.

The Spitfire was a more "fireproof" aeroplane in the event of such an emergency.

Many thanks to you young man,not only for bringing this lovely kit to our attention,but also for a superb history lesson to boot.

The fear of fire came from the fact that the reserve fuel tank was right in front of the cockpit.

622285d0f5e0ba640cb31fb22c9612e5.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The fear of fire came from the fact that the reserve fuel tank was right in front of the cockpit.

I'm not entirely sure that is the whole story here Chris, I seem to recall that later production Hurricanes had the wing roots plated over where they met the fuselage to prevent the ingress of fire from the wing root tanks, 'cause I might also be blowing smoke out of my own wing roots, @Troy Smith should be able to adjudicate on this . :)

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

44 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm not entirely sure that is the whole story here Chris, I seem to recall that later production Hurricanes had the wing roots plated over where they met the fuselage to prevent the ingress of fire from the wing root tanks, 'cause I might also be blowing smoke out of my own wing roots, @Troy Smith should be able to adjudicate on this . :)

You would think the gravity tank in front of the pilot was the problem, as i did (and this was the problem in Spitfires)  but in a book on Archibald McIndoes "Guinea Pigs" that "Hurricane burns" were from the wing tanks burning into the cockpit,  via the open structure,  and often as a result of peeling away when attacking bombers showing the underside (sorry book not too hand)

I don't know about sealing off the structure, it did speed up fitting of self sealing tanks IIRC.

HTH

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

it did speed up fitting of self sealing tanks IIRC.

Thanks Troy, maybe this is what I'm thinking of although somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain is a recollection of plating in the gap, but again, possibly I read it as a suggestion rather than fact, absolutely no idea where that may have been?

Steve.

PC I hope you're taking some pride from the input your threads attract - well deserved.

Puffed out chest required and well deserved IMHO :) 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

PC I hope you're taking some pride from the input your threads attract - well deserved.

Puffed out chest required and well deserved IMHO :) 

What he said!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 5:39 AM, CedB said:

Perhaps just one day and Saturday is preferred for perdu's usual BM gathering. I know there's a lot to see at the show but we currently have forty-three (yes, forty-three!) places on the list of 'things to visit' and the guys are only here for a relatively short time. We've yet to confirm the final list but the RAF Museum at Cosford is just down the road so we'll be staying over and fitting that in.

PC posted a request for suggested places to visit and I think we have most things covered! We just need to firm up on dates and book an hotel somewhere near Telford.

Oh, and plan a route.

Currently it looks like this:

31743517847_6ef88a04bf_z.jpg

on Flickr

(Ooh, just found out by accident that you can drag photos from the OSX photo app straight to a Flickr window - cool! That'll be handy)

* Of course I mean pullover or jumper but I translated that to save confusion. Did it work?

Good Lord,if you gentlemen have a yen to visit ALL those places of interest in a single weekend,one assumes that you have had a word with

Dr Who for a loan of her Tardis and a qualified driver !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9