Tired Old Puffers at the Last Ditch (3 x 1/72 Arma Hurricanes)

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

say, like @Troy Smith) have a good photo of the map case? There's a little PE inset part for it and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a different colour or not.

hur_f3.jpg

This is a Mk.II, from the pilots notes.   the metal case box under 63/64/65 is metal, and grey greeen, the canvas pocket under the 66 is the buff bit. The little grid bit is white AFAIK with black lines.

I don't know of a photo of the insides of the this bit in the Finnish plane,  and the one at Hendon has a brushed coat of grey green over the insides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks, Troy, very helpful! Arma don't go quite so far as to model the canvas pouch or grid square (and it's kind of hard to be mad at them, because the cockpit detail in this kit is the best I've seen in this scale), so if the metal box is all grey-green, that's good enough for me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Chris, that's incredibly helpful, thank you! Looks like I should grab a copy of that to have handy whenever I build Hurricanes.

Treat with caution, has some useful details, like the above, but also lacks much of what has been posted on here over the past few years,  for example the info on props and spinners, and details of the Mk.IV wing and armour round cockpit.   

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Treat with caution, has some useful details, like the above, but also lacks much of what has been posted on here over the past few years,  for example the info on props and spinners, and details of the Mk.IV wing and armour round cockpit.   

*whispers* write a boooooook

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Put me down for a first edition!

I am holding back with my foray into Hurri-lovelyness for a time when my MoaJoe is at 97 imp gals

Box On

Strickers

(305 sleeps to SMW)

• Like 2

Just now, 06/24 said:

Vacation days from work booked. Need to sort out a hotel and I'm good to go. As a bonus, I turn fifty two days before...

Birthday bash! Yessssssss

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Okay chaps, moment of truth time! 

I got a seat all ready to go:

IMG_20190108_223932

The level of detail you can achieve out of the box is incredible, on a par with an Eduard profipack. IMO, the Arma photoetch also fits a lot better than Eduard's. (Though tonight I lost two lap belts and the little pouch that goes on the big pouch when they pinged off into the ether, so it's not all smooth sailing.)

In the seat went:

IMG_20190108_213052

So far, so good...

IMG_20190108_215608

The kit closed up pretty well; excellently at the ends and along the spine (but I managed to get a gluey fingerprint on one side, as per ancient and inglorious tradition), but needed a little coaxing around the coaming area before finally coming together. I've drilled out the female locating point at that location for the next two, which I think should help -- it was little shallow I think.

It went together pretty well. So well, in fact...

IMG_20190108_223939

I used my worst set of wings, because they were the only ones I'd fully prepared -- two pairs went together perfectly, but this one was a little gappy at the leading edge wing roots, and required some coaxing as a result. 

So here's where we are now:

IMG_20190108_223920

Hopefully I can close up the other two fuselages tomorrow night.

• Like 23

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

Don't you ever sleep?

Not much, unfortunately. I went to bed at one this morning.

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Are you going to Telford this year then?

That's my plan (along with Cookenbacher and Navy Bird)! Need to get my airline tickets, and will be staying with Ced, who will live to regret it, I'm sure.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

So many of us going I fear some sort of recognition signal will be required. Not quite sure how we would display sky coloured ID bands, but I'm open to suggestions!

I was planning on wearing a t-shirt with a hedgehog on it. Alternately should I go classic American abroad and wear a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and one of those fishing caps while marvelling at all the things that aren't like back home?

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

I suspect the cargo shorts are "a good idea" and may well be sporting some variety of same. Hawaiian shirt perhaps not. Declaiming loudly is an American’s natural right, and we shall enjoy your delivery.

I have only been to Telford exhibition centre once or twice, many years ago, for model railway related endeavours. I suspect it will become uncomfortably warm very quickly.

Do you and @CedB intend to be there both days. And is RAF Museum Cosford not nearby?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 06/24 said:

Do you and @CedB intend to be there both days. And is RAF Museum Cosford not nearby?

I believe Buffers has expressed a preference for only one day, to avoid fatigue with the wonders on display and to preserve us from financial disaster. The goal is to see as much of England as possible, before I immigrate illegally, just like they warned you about have to go home. I know I very much want to see the RAF Memorial at Runnymede.

• Like 6

I'll be there both days, or at least, I'm booked into the hotel for the weekend....

Runnymede is well worth a visit, not too far from my home town. It's also where the Magna Carta was signed in 1215, so as an American you could also call it the birthplace of the Constitution!

Mosquito Museum is also worth a visit if you can fit it in on your travels.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
Fat fingers
  • Like 2