Well blow me it’s a Ka-27 Helix ( A flying piano in 1/48 ).

On 1/17/2019 at 11:54 PM, f111guru said:

Great effects and the weathering on the grey panels. Superior workmanship on the wiring.

Ron VanDerwarker

Wowza! Thanks Ron. :thumbsup:

On 1/18/2019 at 6:27 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !!

Spot on ! your "Green" look really good !! Nice blending !!

Now, I also use that very fine copper wire from electrical chord !

thin like hairs then you take 3 to 4 ones and twist them.

Realism is also surprising and it's an easy to find material…. Aaaand cheap if not free !

WP_20180302_23_59_35_Pro

Look from the black box on the front of the falf fuse just over here !

Sincerely.

CC

Oooh electrical wires! I’ll give that a go too. Looking sharp. CC. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:38 AM, giemme said:

Nice interiors, J! :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G, you’re a gent.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, TheBaron said:

That bluey-greeny tint is so idiosyncratic on an aircraft isn't it? One begins to suspect that deep within the bowels of the Soviet aviation ministry, a covert Psy-Ops unit was subverting specifications: 'We'll issue instructions to paint the interiors 'peppermint', that will surely sow confusion in the aircrew by inducing profound and disturbing longings for matching curtains on the windows...'

Nearly neglected to pass admiring comments on the work so far Johnny, but you know me feelings about the quality of your work already! :clap:

I actually really like the colour. More should be used. 😌 and thanks Tony. 🤗

On 1/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, Bugle07 said:

That's a colour you'd not want to be looking at all day after a session on the Vodka!

Great work as always!

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. 

• Like 1

TGood evening guys. It’s that time of the week again. 🤩 Although it was really meant to be a relaxing couple of days doing naught except possibly a few potters to the bench. Sadly lots got added to the ever growing to do list as I’m sure you all are familiar with your own flavour of list. As the weekend has progressed I do seem to have managed a few trips to the sacred grotto to work on the old Russian Wocca. 😎 first of all check this out. Warning for those who may build this, it seems that the IP decal is printed backwards!🤨

32943020828_c58ea75411_b.jpg

The dials on the far left should be on the far right. 😫 how did that even happen?

I didn’t want to lose the decal so I cut it up and popped it on as best I could.

39853500143_7aa2496b3b_b.jpg

not too bad in the end. :thumbsup:

Thinking back this was all done on Friday night as I wanted to gloss ready for a date with a Flory wash. I need to get some Flory love back after the odd airbrush splitting that happened last time. 

So FF to Saturday and I shake the hell out of my Flory Dark dirt and this time decant I’m into a small dish, I intend to brush it on. Here are some shots while wet.

46766322412_773172a3fa_b.jpg46093729054_d71999867d_b.jpg46766322382_8048d9d5aa_b.jpg

and the IP

46766319222_4ceef5724b_b.jpg

That went on a lot better, no bubbles and no bits. Maybe I’ll stick to decanting and brushing from now on. After about twenty minutes I went at it with a cotton bud.

31877436097_2b55121a39_b.jpg

im happy with that. The brown has bought out the blue. Yes!

The inside walls of the main bit, fuselage?  Not sure what it’s called as I’m a aero plane guy. 🤣

39853478963_788c40aa7d_b.jpg

needs to get painted too but there are an enormous amount of pin marks so PPP to the rescue. I let that dry and glued the sticks and big box bit onto the main interior.

39853482443_9cd00ccf8b_b.jpg31877436187_139e21ee19_b.jpg39853482413_a9a1d09efb_b.jpg

Everything is looking just how I want it. 😃 Coolio.

31877435127_7fc278153d_b.jpg

The fit inside is great too.

Right then I’ll have to split this post up and add the rest tomorrow as I’m pooped.

Thanks for dropping. I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Take care and sweet dreams.

Johnny.  😴

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Of course it’s a fuselage!  This is an aircraft, you know - not some kind of flying piano.  Looking excellent 

A flying piano ??? Given the sound, I would have bet for a flying Maracas

MARACAS+LP+389+FIBRE

Great job Dear Spad on your ROTARY WING AIRCRAFT :rofl2:

Note to self… Do not critisize Helicopters !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Are you laying down, preferably in a very Dark room, tranquilisers at the ready Johnny? You are? Good. I find the weathering of the interior so effective that I might even try and find my Flory Dark Dirt and try it myself. Did I really say that? :frantic:

Disturbed of Mars👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/3/2019 at 5:59 PM, Martian Hale said:

You have my attention and my thoughts turning to my own build which stalled due to some pretty horrific family stuff happening at the time. every time I look at the model I am reminded of some serious, worsening and ongoing unpleasantness and end up putting it down again, which is a shame as I really want one of these in my helicopter collection.

Martian 👽 

Come on Martin, you can do it, it's only a plastic kit...

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just found your build thread Johnny, looking good, I do like the extra work you have put into the cabin detail. Will be well worth the effort even once you have closed her up.

Colin

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Nice progress, love that interior. Concerning the decals, I remember having a similar problem on my Tu-160. Two right or left ones instead of one of each....

Thanks. A right pain when that happens. 😫

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Of course it’s a fuselage!  This is an aircraft, you know - not some kind of flying piano.  Looking excellent 

Aah Yes sorry I knew that all along.

* scuttles away tripping over cape.

:whistle:

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job on the weathering, J! :clap: Loving it! :worthy:

Ciao

Thanks G, I think I found my Flory Mojo again. 😄

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Washed that up a treat kiddo. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony.

10 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

A flying piano ??? Given the sound, I would have bet for a flying Maracas

MARACAS+LP+389+FIBRE

Great job Dear Spad on your ROTARY WING AIRCRAFT :rofl2:

Note to self… Do not critisize Helicopters !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. I did say I always learn new stuff with every build.🙃

10 hours ago, Hamden said:

That interior is looking fantastic

Roger

Why thank you sir.

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Are you laying down, preferably in a very Dark room, tranquilisers at the ready Johnny? You are? Good. I find the weathering of the interior so effective that I might even try and find my Flory Dark Dirt and try it myself. Did I really say that? :frantic:

Disturbed of Mars👽

:yikes::analintruder::banghead::gobsmacked::boom::fool::elephant: Thanks Martian. My gasts have truly been flabbered. 

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

"So THIS is what he's up to now...!"

Although when I read  "So FF to Saturday" I did a double take. I thought maybe, it hadn't gone so well.....

Yup, something new for the new year. 😉

FF “Fast Forward” sorry I’m not very good with text speak. 😄

5 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress, Johnny! 👍

Now the IPs looks great, especially the slightly faded emerald color. Looking forward for your updates.

Cheers! 😎

Thanks.

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Colin

What this guy said. :poke:

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Just found your build thread Johnny, looking good, I do like the extra work you have put into the cabin detail. Will be well worth the effort even once you have closed her up.

Colin

Thanks Colin, glad you’re enjoying the build. 😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the lovely comments, :grouphug:

I’m glad you are liking the direction thus far. I shall continue from where I left off.

Where was I? Oh yes on the outside looking in. As you can see the rear bits will be seen too. Cool.

46766315022_8196a0828f_b.jpg

The next steps will have you putting the rotors together.

46766315432_ec510ab0e4_b.jpg

The detail in these things is really spot on.

There are lots of little bits to glue on here but it’s a real joy to do as the parts just fly together.

46766313702_8277e463cc_b.jpg

Here’s about half way through the top rotor.

39853483803_41555dc030_b.jpg

and both bits sans primer.

46766326962_e34ea429ec_b.jpg

very little tidy up which I was greatful for. :phew:.

Now here’s an odd bit or bits. The cogs seem to make the rotors go around in opposite directions. 

31877460587_87532a58d4_b.jpg

the sprue gates fit to the cog teeth so a careful tidy up here or the whole thing gets stuck. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how it worked as the little cog seems to fit onto nothing. 🤷‍♂️ You got this cover on but don’t glue.

46818848591_712c48a2fd_b.jpg

I still didn’t see how the little cog worked until I noticed the teeth on the inside of the drum. So as you spin the metal shaft the barrel with the nut style top spins in the opposite direction. Can’t wait to see this work. Should I add grease? 

Next step.

I primed the rotors to the joy of my eyes! 😁

39853507693_f359e0cfa8_b.jpg

So pretty. The extremely well fitting wind screen bit got masked too. 

39853508923_dea5de5484_b.jpg

The lines on the moulding are very nice and make this job very pleasurable. 

The seats finally get a pre shade. I was contemplating adding lots to these but I think I’ll male do with belts and a spiffy paint job, fingers crossed.

46818834511_6526faee2b_b.jpg

I sprayed the rotors black getting ready for silver.

46093723074_2de39815c8_b.jpg31877444837_abed59bff7_b.jpg

I should have used gloss but I had loaded the brush to pre shade the.... ahem. “Fuselage” interior.  I’ll top coat before I do any silver work. 😇 I have decided to use a trick from my Lanc build last year and add some wall and roof noise with anpre shade. This hopefully will work ok. The PPP has been sanded the parts primed and now sprayed with a nice pre shade of some panels and general noise.

46766322422_6da1a6521e_b.jpg

Looks good together, with a was and all the other interiors I’ll be happy. I think.

31877442207_1329f8ba6f_b.jpg

well there we are. All caught up. Hopefully I’ll get a smidge of time to get some more done this week. It’s proving to be a bit of a lovely build this, lots of glue, scratch bits and paint so far. Love it. :yahoo:

Thanks for dropping in for a swift peek and maybe a cuppa. Take care until next time. Happy Modelling.

Johnny boy.

• Like 17

The rotors have to spin in opposite directions to counter torque effect, as the Helix, in common with other Kamov choppers, does not have a tail rotor.

Great work on this one so far.

AW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Colin

Only a plastic kit, ONLY A PLASTIC KIT? Blasphemy! Kill the heretic! :jump_fire:

Outraged of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Only a plastic kit, ONLY A PLASTIC KIT? Blasphemy! Kill the heretic! :jump_fire:

Outraged of Mars 👽

Time to find a duck now !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just come across this, (well, I was notified that my name had been taken in vain by a certain tentacled fiend...again!) and jolly glad I did. Lovely work on the innards and plumbing there Johnny and a nice spot of weather might I add...look forward to progress on this old egg-beater.

The inside walls of the main bit, fuselage?  Not sure what it’s called as I’m a aero plane guy. 

Now, now...don't get all technical on us! not to worry, I'm sure Crisp will help us out...

Of course it’s a fuselage!  This is an aircraft, you know - not some kind of flying piano. 

There you go, beautifully phrased!

Time to find a duck now !!

CC

Would a delicious plump- breasted pigeon do instead?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4