Well blow me it’s a Ka-27 Helix ( A flying piano in 1/48 ).

Happy New Year and Welcome to a Happy New Build. This will be my first ever Helicopter so please be kind. I know nothing of this wonderful beast but as with all my other builds I expect to learn a whole lot over the space of the build.😀

So Tonight Mathew I’m going to try and build the.

Ka-27PL Helix Anti-Submarine warefare helicopter. 

It jumped out at me at the LMS on the bargains table a a quirky looking thing. Right up my street. 😋

I know our good friend @Martian Halehas started one of these but he (as we all expected) will be and has started adding all the bells and whistles that is only possible from a Red Planet dweller. I myself will be keeping my additions to a minimum to try and get my build count up this year.

Others have finished this kit and it looks great but the WIPs are few and far between as are the ref pics of the interior but I’ll try my best to make it look as good as I can. 

Well then I’ll hope that you may want to follow along with this one and maybe chip in a few tod bits here and there as only the BritModeller Hive Mind can.:grouphug:

Lets start with the all important box shot eh. We’ll make the rest up as we go along. 

32701931598_5d266dd579_b.jpg

Tis a thing of beauty or a blot on the sky scape either way it’s won my attention that’s for sure. The trees/ sprues are thus.

32701931948_3458469003_b.jpg

The Big and clear bits.

46523495262_9d78006c14_b.jpg

the little bits.

46523494762_dc4397bdb7_b.jpg

The instructions, decals, phot etch and “shaft” ooh err missus! 😃

Construction so far is like a mini Ikea set. Lots of Billy and Malm to put together.

32701926618_a5b817d7d5_b.jpg

the detail is lovely however.

45661404875_50ef57376f_b.jpg

Attempting a dry fit some Filing was needed to allow for a good fit.

45661404485_5c6da90958_b.jpg

and then we can start popping the internals together.

32701926478_81220bbcd2_b.jpg

looks really nice and busy. As I said earlier I’m not sure of the accuracy in there but I’m going to run with this one as is. 

Judging by the colour call outs I’m going to need all the help I can get. Academy seem to want this bit to be light blue.

46575796891_8918453ca4_b.jpg45851780544_a2108c4b92_b.jpg45851780494_7975b30769_b.jpg44757731100_69b2f1a29d_b.jpg

What on earth?😂

some other colours and pointers would have been helpful. At least she looks the part in Schematic view.

32701926878_23f5e0a8bb_b.jpg

🤤

This is the one I’ll be aiming at by the way.

32701931658_c31754690e_b.jpg

Moving on with the dry fit the rest seems to fit well.

45661409855_80e4446f0e_b.jpg32701926488_04fc53e902_b.jpg

Especially in this morning light.

32701931458_2bb53efdf9_b.jpg

I’m looking forward to getting some paint on these. Whatever colours I choose.

31634627337_d224588145_b.jpg

The seats look good but will need belts of some kind.

31634627417_e5b1361e12_b.jpg

And here’s the IP.

32701930678_4c6e76a060_b.jpg

all very nicest far. 😎

That’s it for now. I do hope you all are having a lovely New Year and thanks for popping in to have a look at my plastic shenanigans.

All the best and as always dear friends.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 24

You have my attention and my thoughts turning to my own build which stalled due to some pretty horrific family stuff happening at the time. every time I look at the model I am reminded of some serious, worsening and ongoing unpleasantness and end up putting it down again, which is a shame as I really want one of these in my helicopter collection.

Martian 👽 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Ahh excellent. A wobblychopper. And a strange one at that...

We'll get you onto a Seaking yet :poke:

I remember our dear Martian attacking the interior bits and thinking they looked "Agricultural". Finest Russian technology of its era.

I shall follow with interest Johnny-Light-Blue.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, giemme said:

What happened to the Mustang? :sad: :sad:

Never mind, I'll tag along for this new SpAd-venture ... :popcorn: 🍺 :rofl:

Ciao

Sorry the Mustang was nearly a thing but it was like I was cheating on this Russian Oddball. I need it built. 😀

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You have my attention and my thoughts turning to my own build which stalled due to some pretty horrific family stuff happening at the time. every time I look at the model I am reminded of some serious, worsening and ongoing unpleasantness and end up putting it down again, which is a shame as I really want one of these in my helicopter collection.

Martian 👽 

Sorry about your own build Mr M, it was headed in wonderful direction. Hopefully the memories will fade and you can get her in your collection. For now you can watch me and my ham fists. 🙃

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Ahh excellent. A wobblychopper. And a strange one at that...

We'll get you onto a Seaking yet :poke:

I remember our dear Martian attacking the interior bits and thinking they looked "Agricultural". Finest Russian technology of its era.

I shall follow with interest Johnny-Light-Blue.

Thanks. I’m glad you approve. It’s the strangest thing I’ve modeled so far. The rotors go around apparently.😃

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...like a wine rack next to the Aga.

Soviet Naval Aviation meets River Cottage!

You’re not wrong. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

They will all be easy after this one!

Have you seen this site?

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/kamov-ka-27-walkaround/

Even Johnny can't over weather this one then! When it comes to the painting stages I shall for the first time in recorded history keep my alien trap firmly shut.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Looks good...

Isn’t it a Hobbyboss kit?

Chur

Plasto

'Tis indeed the HB kit, I don,t know why there is an Academy reference, but lovely progress all the same Spadge!

I have been wanting one of these myslef but wanted to see one built first, following with interest,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Even Johnny can't over weather this one then! When it comes to the painting stages I shall for th first time in recorded history keep my alien trap firmly shut.

Martian 👽

I still might over weather it. Just to make you happy oh globulus one. 🐸

2 hours ago, IGKent said:

Interesting. I will be a spectator too ......:yes::popcorn:

Thanks. The more the merrier.

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

They will all be easy after this one!

Have you seen this site?

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/kamov-ka-27-walkaround/

Erm thanks. I think. 😮 The walk around is super useful. 

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

This looks interesting mind if I take the seat in the corner?

Roger

Not at all you’re more than welcome.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Not particularly my subject matter or scale, but your builds are always interesting Johnny. Also if I'm nice to you may build the Mustang next...

Nice to have you aboard Tomo. It’s all about the Mustang. 😁

48 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Looks good...

Isn’t it a Hobbyboss kit?

Chur

Plasto

It is yes. Sorry I’m such a plonker.

35 minutes ago, Pappy said:

'Tis indeed the HB kit, I don,t know why there is an Academy reference, but lovely progress all the same Spadge!

I have been wanting one of these myslef but wanted to see one built first, following with interest,

cheers,

Pappy

Yes sorry my mistake. I’ve corrected it now.  I hope you like the build. 😃

Johnny.

• Haha 2

Just a suggestion, and I’m sure someone with more knowledge of Helixes (Heli?) will come along shortly, but the light blue is probably meant to be that garish turquoise used in the cockpits of Migs and Sukhois.  Have a look at one of the many Flanker builds here on BM and you’ll see the colour I’m referring to.

AW

• Like 3

Lots of photos in here too,including some shiny clean ones :)

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/ka-27/ka-27_all.shtml

My reference earlier to things getting easier meant that you started with quite a complex helicopter.

Next one has to be a Wessex then you can pencil yourself in for the 2020 group build of the Denny-Mumford helicopter.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

...like a wine rack next to the Aga.

Soviet Naval Aviation meets River Cottage!

I even went looking for a source of 1/48 bottles so I could have a wine rack in mine!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Andwil said:

Just a suggestion, and I’m sure someone with more knowledge of Helixes (Heli?) will come along shortly, but the light blue is probably meant to be that garish turquoise used in the cockpits of Migs and Sukhois.  Have a look at one of the many Flanker builds here on BM and you’ll see the colour I’m referring to.

AW

I too wondered about this and although I am colour blind, Mrs Martian, whose colour vision falls into the  excellent category, couldn't decide. The colour seems to look very different depending on how the light is striking it.

Martian 👽

• Like 2