J Class Destroyer 1945- 1/700 in Resin by Atlantic Models.

Could that be an L class ? Possibly the Flyhawk one? 

J class is looking great, don't forget to finish her off before moving on, says the bloke with 4 stalled and another 1 on the go!

Geoff 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Could that be an L class ? Possibly the Flyhawk one? 

J class is looking great, don't forget to finish her off before moving on, says the bloke with 4 stalled and another 1 on the go!

Geoff 

The Chocolate Fish goes to Geoff aka Bugle07, please supply your contact details to claim your prize.

The L Class Destroyer by Flyhawk is HMS Legion, this will be a little slide project as both HMS Ariadne and the HMS Jervis are now at that of the build where I’m doing fine detail parts of building/ assembly, painting and fitting/ glueing to the ships. Which is slow and tedious at the best of times on a good day and having a little slide project like the the L Class is good while I’m waiting for paint to dry or glue to set on the other two.

Anyway back to the J Class. Not much to report today folks, just a little bit of very small detailed painting done and depending on how it’s goes tomorrow should have first set of torpedo tubes fitted, aft twin 4.7in  and both aft twin 20mm gun fitted tomorrow.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

Gidday All. Mr Bugle I doff my cap to you. You obviously paid attention during your ship recognition classes, while I must have slept through mine. 

And Mr Exkiwi, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've always thought WWII vintage RN destroyers were rather good-looking ships. I'll continue to follow your progress with this build, Legion and Ariadne also. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2019 at 20:16, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday All. Mr Bugle I doff my cap to you. You obviously paid attention during your ship recognition classes, while I must have slept through mine. 

And Mr Exkiwi, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've always thought WWII vintage RN destroyers were rather good-looking ships. I'll continue to follow your progress with this build, Legion and Ariadne also. Regards, Jeff.

When I was at the PTSD clinic last year, I got chating to an old pirate had served on old DDG’s, Daring Class, River Class and one other ship. I ask what ship would he like? He said the DDG’s has all the mod- cons and weren’t as sexy the Daring’s and River Class. Those two classes of had sex appeal, they weren’t as fragile as the DDG’s as they could take more a pounding in all types weather in counted and best of all a according to him anyway the British design ships were built for one thing in mind and was war. To him I’ll be rather in a Brit ship than a Yank one if I had to War again.

I know a few from that weird mob who are ex submariners and they would rather have an old O Boat than a Collins Boat at time, but all of them would’ve preferred if Bomber Beasley had gone for the Brit U  Boat (Upholder Class) as they consider it the better than the Collins with the old Jerry U Boat at the time the best 2nd option. 

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2

Got to admit, it wasn't my ship recognition skills of WW2 destroyers I used, more like Kit recognition, this helped me work that out...

20190325-223725.jpg

At some point this year I'll be making her myself. I'm really not sure about drilling  the 4" brass barrels tho :hypnotised:

Jeff, I agree with you, there's something about the 30's and 40's RN destroyers that just looks right. Maybe not always sleek, but always purposeful.

Even the the early A-F class ships, not exactly graced with the kind of racing lines of say the battle class (or a brick?) look meaningful in their design (move about quicker than the enemy, fire guns and torpedos at said enemy, get away in one peice).

11 hours ago, Exkiwiforces said:

I got chating to an old private had served on old DDG’s, Daring Class, River Class and one other ship.

I bet he had a few stories to tell!

Looking forward to seeing you work on all of these ships, great stuff so far!

Geoff 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2019 at 08:38, Bugle07 said:

Got to admit, it wasn't my ship recognition skills of WW2 destroyers I used, more like Kit recognition, this helped me work that out...

20190325-223725.jpg

At some point this year I'll be making her myself. I'm really not sure about drilling  the 4" brass barrels tho :hypnotised:

Jeff, I agree with you, there's something about the 30's and 40's RN destroyers that just looks right. Maybe not always sleek, but always purposeful.

Even the the early A-F class ships, not exactly graced with the kind of racing lines of say the battle class (or a brick?) look meaningful in their design (move about quicker than the enemy, fire guns and torpedos at said enemy, get away in one peice).

I bet he had a few stories to tell!

Looking forward to seeing you work on all of these ships, great stuff so far!

Geoff 

My old mate on the surface had some interesting stories to tell, especially when was on the gun line on both DDG and a Daring during Vietnam and basically the Yanks love the Daring Class Destroyer than their own designed ships in the gun line in Nam. But my mate who I work with occasionally and drank a lot of squirt down at bar on some Fridays was an ex submariner on the old O boats and the stories he would tell were unreal and some that probably shouldn’t have been told as well.  anyway the bugger is on his last legs due to his Submarine service.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

Well quite a productive afternoon today, fitted most of armaments on to the J Class. Had to do some fettling or whatever that word for filing, as I had filed the top cover thing IOT to squeeze the A position gun as it was a bit tight to start off with. I only got one twin 20mm attach to the emergency wheel house as I cut the other one a wee bit to short.

913C5D38-E0FC-4D48-BF6D-31E0ED4BAAA1

830A2C94-8587-458A-9659-F207422EAF50

AA8C1FE4-02E8-4A17-81FB-ED4D129BCCA3

D2F92F28-F1CE-4F94-B06F-F623D7C96F42

7A7FB662-54AC-4BF5-9329-8BB3998F5E6E

And my helper sometimes is Daddy’s little girl, who has a bad habit of bumping or jumping up to dad while he is painting sometimes.

9227B993-80F9-4AFF-A516-AB957DBEBD1C

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

Got the other 20mm twin mounted today after yesterday’s wee whoopsie of cutting it to short. Was going to something else today, before I realised I hadn’t painted the hull camouflage panel on and now hopefully it will be tomorrow’s job as the funnel markings need to be redone yet again.

• Like 1

Added the first of Colourcoats B20 to the J Class this afternoon and that will be it until I return from my  fishing/ hunting trip around 11-12 April depending on the weather of course.

286BB272-6D80-408B-9907-81DE88B59784

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came home early from my hunting and fishing trip as the weather packed in, but I bagged out of Jew Fish and Golden Snapper about 2-3mths worth of fish

Slowly fixing up the main mast on the J Class Destroyer after I managed to knock it of the desk some mths ago. Still a bit wonky though atm.

232AE165-2051-4C71-9805-1047E07D59A5

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I dragged this poor old girl out of Cabinet this afternoon, along with the two L Class Destroyers. Slowly put the final few pieces on her and a bit touch up paint as well. As she has had a rough ride since I started building her, she has fallen of the desk god knows how many times before the shed was built and since now I have new 507c paint I can knock this build off.

254AC096-18C1-4D8E-9F56-E85073DFB890

• Like 7

Both looking really good. Glad to see that they've managed to survive the rough weather...

Hope you have as well mate. Great stuff. 

Geoff 

After 2& half hrs work this afternoon, the aft mast with ladder and two of the twin 20mm power mounts which was a pain in the bottom to assemble. My next party for the J Class this finish off the aft mast and assemble the another mast behind the emergency conning position which is 5mm long and the yardarm 2mm long

79EDA6FB-BFF1-45D9-8101-37365C5303B8

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 04:05, Bugle07 said:

Both looking really good. Glad to see that they've managed to survive the rough weather...

Hope you have as well mate. Great stuff. 

Geoff 

Yeah both the L & J Classes look quite beaten up, with looking like it’s just returned from a Russian Convoy and the other from a Typhoon or a battening from a SEA Monsoon.

Well I had a Barry Cocker this afternoon and did it cheese me off. After I had put the yardarms on the main mast, only for me to knock one of the yardarms later on and later I had a fight with the 292 antenna, which I managed to mangled in due process when it grew wings and flew off towards the carpet monster.
Anyway got the two twin 20mm power mounts installed and a wee bit of sanding on the Carrier build. 

8DE0D37B-3210-441C-8705-DF0FBBE593E8

048B8276-8A79-4516-8B2A-65CFD43F4D86

DF11710F-FB73-4E59-90DC-3F40B4917E38

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 4

Gidday, what ever you do with PE, regardless of how it finally looks it is way beyond what I could do. That lattice mast and the quad pompom mounting is very good I think and certainly enhance the model. Regards, Jeff.

Well I’ve finally finished the aft mast and glued to my poor beaten up J Class and my next party tick is to scratch build another mast which goes in behind the emergency conning position. This mast is 5mm high and the yardarm is 2mm long and thinking super glue might be the way to go as soldering might be a tag messy considering I haven’t been near a soldering iron since 3th Form High School.

00E7B8EE-9CA0-4B45-83AA-2B8D1848048F

• Like 2

On 15/04/2020 at 22:08, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, what ever you do with PE, regardless of how it finally looks it is way beyond what I could do. That lattice mast and the quad pompom mounting is very good I think and certainly enhance the model. Regards, Jeff.

It was all going good until the poor ship fell off the desk twice in one day and it’s been down hill ever since then with this build. Spending time prepping the yardarms and the aft mast almost broke me after snag one the yardarms, as I knew the 292 antenna was going to a right **** so I was sort’ve prepared for it. Anyway I have to do a bit more research on PE assembling along with some more history on the other two ships that have the same colours scheme.

On 24/03/2019 at 10:05, Exkiwiforces said:

Apply some more WEM M16 and did some fine detail work as M16, Colourcoats 507C/ G45 and G10 to the J Class Destroyer on a wet afternoon. This is slowly coming together as most of the other fine detail parts are done, just got to muck around with the fine detailing and a wee bit tidying up on the hull tomorrow.

D66E3699-BC22-4C98-9E35-2A22D353BFF2

EFB38F3C-7A92-4A2A-AABD-9D596E0AA7D0

Forgot to add add this one currently on the slipway and guesses to the class of Destroyer this one? 

L class being built at the bottom, looking forward to watching how that progresses, as I currently have HMS Legion on the 'slipway' in my model room too.

NIce work, keep it up