J Class Destroyer 1945- 1/700 in Resin by Atlantic Models.

901F0FF8-5BCE-4837-8349-2E9AFAC995C4

Last night I added the bridge, galley, and Pom Pom platform. There is a wee bit of a gap between the bridge and the deck which a bit of putty won't fix. 

742DDEFF-C7AF-423E-A3C4-53CFB2A5A7D6

CA6D26A6-1B46-4CF7-9FC1-1B6B3D617DD0

Currently this is where i'm up to atm. Next step is to place a few ladders, before I prime and paint. I've ordered a few after market parts and paint today for this model and for a few others in various states of construction, so no work today.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Always wondered about trying my hand at one of these, I look forward to seeing you blaze a trail for me.

I hope this doesn't become a stop start affair with a couple of other ships, but mind I had a few issues that were more important at the time. I've find this one to be quite easy do touch wood, but I really need to plan ahead as the local model shop isn't just down rd like most capital cities here in Oz. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, we in the Northern Territory are at the moment having are very "dry" wet season atm. So out side doing the gardening, mowing etc and we have had the driest Dec since 1991 with about a 1/4 (150mm) of the rain than what we should be getting. My local RSL had to close in a hurry last week as the combine social/ sports club we operated under with tits up. 

Have added a lot of the PE since the last up and the I'm hoping to start priming this weekend weather and start on the weapons systems along the mast.

89C7B680-55EF-4437-AD96-499C77BFBC78

9C20F392-54F1-4D6F-953D-046C31E69974

EABC1314-DB94-46E3-85F6-919E99E8480A

57285993-9553-43A4-A68D-2E7216F9CBF3

674BED51-3D2F-4CC0-B0B0-33D516667891

Hoping to have a more regular update this weekend.

Cheers for now EXK

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

I was hoping to have it finish or close to finishing by now, but with the complete lack of rain atm I’m spending more time outside than in and I hate to think what dry season going to be like atm like a busy fire fighting with NT Bush Fire as last yr was very quite with our local brigade at my bush estate which meant  more time for fishing or hunting.

Edited by Exkiwiforces

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

She’s starting to look the part bro! 👍Keep on it!

I’ve been following your build which has been very interesting to say the least. Should’ve use that idea for my 10yr exams (form 5 School Cert) project for Woodwork, Tech Drawing, Art and History back in NZ when I was a lad.

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to add this last night, of the Niko 2pdr Quad. This was made up for another build which is currently on hold until I fix up the original paint work up with the correct colours and few other after market parts arrived in the post. But in the meantime I’ll on crack on with this wee gem of a build.

20F4BF9E-5D69-4C27-8A9D-1C664358E6A4

843CF7CC-F5F9-4450-A9A9-C7D3C1F6A9CA

3BDD4FC4-CB04-41E9-BB65-5E1670F58F4B

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

Well its been a quite a productive today, as the afternoon rains pass through which are typical for the Northern Australia wet season.

Got the small bits prep for priming and some more PE added to the ship. I made a complete hash of the Yagi antennas, the bridge telegraphs added as well and I made start to lattice mast, but I started to made a hash of it so I called quits for the day. You may be wondering why the box of Niko twin 4.7's? Well I managed to lose a set of 4.7 barrels today, so had raid my armoury to see if I spare set which think god I had some. 

9F24AFF1-0071-47D0-A450-9FEC71C077DA

C9B52243-C760-4EA4-8EFB-CEE9AEAF73EF

059DD781-673A-4355-BE83-E595A83D8CE4

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 6

Well another productive day this afternoon, most of the afternoon was taken up assembling lattice mast which fell apart in pieces, so after a number of attempts I finally got it assembled and quickly glue to the ship. But I’m not quite sure if the mast is meant to sit on top of the wee hut or on the outside of the wee hut as shown in pic?

I’ve replaced the 20mm PE cannons with two twin 20mm cannons from 3D Parts and after a few cracks at the cherry, I finally got them sorted out. I redid the twin 4.7 Guns from Niko, I’m not that happy with them. So I went hunting through the spare box and my armoury box where found a twin German 105mm AA gun. So I married the 105 twin with the 4.7 Gun shield together and tell you the truth it looks a lot better than Nilko one, so i’ll wait and see before I stick on the ship and at of got a couple of options atm.

Depending on the weather tomorrow I’ll prime in the afternoon and start painting either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon and decide on the build which is depending on a couple aftermarket products turn up in the mail, when do the next trip into Darwin on Tuesday morning.

3797B560-AE0C-4E83-B5E1-D36C69A8FC4D

The 4.7 Gun shield married to the German twin 105mm gun.

9EF0F306-F610-4E43-B5DF-FEEC96445CB4

Decisions Decisions on the next build......Plus there is more in one of my big tubs another DKM Battlewagon, two Tiger Class Cruisers for a WHIFF project and few other which I can’t remember atm.

D239CFE4-B631-4419-AC78-2F88EBF4198D

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 2

On 20/01/2019 at 07:29, Courageous said:

Who's been a busy lad!

Like Geoff, I also note Jamies Colourcoats paints, a rare sight to see on an Aussi/ Kiwi model bench.

Stuart

Yes I’m a great fan of Jamie’s Colourcoats as I don’t need to mix anymore as I tend to make right hash of it as it’s to thick or too thin and I’ve put a few Kiwi’s onto Colourcoats via the Wings Over New Zealand Forum site. Yes they are a little expensive side, I’m willing to pay for good quality products weather it’s Jamie’s Colourcoats or Peter Hall’s products like this J Class Destroyer. But I was a little bit slow at wanting to buy his 1/700 Ark Royal as I had more important things to my life at the time and  I’m hoping it comes back on the market as I would buy two of them. 

Royal Navy/ Commonwealth Navies Colourcoats paint

3CC37AFB-AFA0-489F-A53B-D7FA66223227

DKM Colourcoats 

7D0A380E-52A0-46EC-82E1-27D1B8E9AB9E

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 4

IThis wet seasons  Monsoon has finally arrived about a mth and half late and I finally got the  Priming done today. So I’ll starting probably on Friday as I have to go out to my Bush Estate to grab some tools and inspect the boundaries if it’s not to wet for my 1 ton British Tank (Landrover). Yes my next build is in the background, this was started about 18mths ago along with HMS Nelson (on hold due to a missing spure/ parts) before I went back down the rabbit hole again where I sent off to the looney bin/ military hospital and sent off to a PTSD clinic later on.

Btw, Can anyone answer these questions? 

73663947-2524-4A71-9C1D-A32D788CA3D1

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

Look’s old Jamie is rather busy atm, rather like the harbour master at Bouke trying to put out fire on a riverboat on the Darling River.

I’ve using his website since I found it, along with this website and I hope it’s not too serious. I have a good supply of paints, but it his reference section that is most interesting. 

Was thinking before I make put it hold and drag out HMS Hemes from Flyhawk as I’m Neil McCart’s book on both Ships.

• Like 1

Started painting this afternoon, I’m doing all the small bit and some of the deck until the MS16 paint arrives from Sydney sometime this week.

Apart from the small bits that done today, the deck may look a bit of mess but will get tidy up once when I do the next lot of painting as I paint by hand. I have do a UOR for more G10 as I managed to knock the tin over today ouch.

37059ADB-F742-4A79-A167-D977D10CDEDB

B3EB7C64-4042-49DE-9191-7DF19A31D24C

D1B27123-95B0-4E58-BA85-50DC0F09197D

The next ship to be built will be HMS Ariadne as a few after market parts have arrived. Not the DKM Battlewagon in the background.

• Like 3

Well I had a Barry Crocker on Wednesday av’o ASCT with the model after i had finish some painting. It managed to land on the floor which resulted the mast being knock out of shape and depth change davit being posted MIA. 

So I have the grumps atm with it and also having to chase up DVA this afternoon. There will no more work on this until MS16 paint arrives from Sydney which it appears it’s doing a Cook’s Tour of courtesy of AusPost.

Anyway it will give me a chance to spend some time on HMS Ariadne.

Had a Barry Crocker on Wednesday avo ACST

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

A wee bit long in between innings folks, it’s been a absolutely poo-poo wet season here in the NT this among other things atm. We are now feeling the tail end of Fred’s mate Trevor and it’s been very wet afternoon with wind, rain and few storms about.

Managed to do some painting on the old J Class today, first coat of M16 using some old stock of WEM Colourcoats and fiddle around with main mast trying to repair it.

7C0B33B8-4F38-4806-9CF1-1D9302C4FC7C

180A5EDE-D422-48C8-AE5A-D269559F0927

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 5

Apply some more WEM M16 and did some fine detail work as M16, Colourcoats 507C/ G45 and G10 to the J Class Destroyer on a wet afternoon. This is slowly coming together as most of the other fine detail parts are done, just got to muck around with the fine detailing and a wee bit tidying up on the hull tomorrow.

D66E3699-BC22-4C98-9E35-2A22D353BFF2

EFB38F3C-7A92-4A2A-AABD-9D596E0AA7D0

Forgot to add add this one currently on the slipway and guesses to the class of Destroyer this one? 

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 1