Airfix Seafire FR. 46 1/48

Dave_R

Hi All,

I haven't forgotten about the Mustang and Starfighter - but I got sidetracked by the Panzer IV GB.  I've finished the Panzer now, so I'm back to the KUTA stuff.

I think I've got enough time to add this build to the others.  It's a bit different as it's hardly been started at all,  but I had some quiet time over Christmas decided to go with the FR. 46 option (FR.47 is the other option).

3YtPXqFT8aOUnhIfs_QR90KTxykUwnXzW7rs5ezz

upArYmBRmWHLcCsEE_WwXvXFGD7zdqVFn3yxJHcp

xCP-tMs_v3KzVuFBzG_82E0W3RctNmEBidvgSn0e

So this was the state of play on 29th Dec.

yz4xmeLdUguZR3gOyyGrUC5n4eN1CpLbM_UOEC_U

N06znJuD7aLRkjqdD_7_Tgn-yo6i1PYNzFFfOykY

A very basic cockpit - but when the fuselage is closed it's a black hole anyway.

Dave.

• Like 2

Very nice progress! I’m also having a 46 at WIP! Did you encountered any difficulties with the landing gear position on wing? I have on mine a complete wrong angle when I dry fitted the all thing for first time... Any feedback on your side?

Thanks & looking fwd to see it painted!

Frank

Hi Frank,

I've just tried dry fitting the undercarriage and the angle of the legs are fine, but the wheels are heavily toed in - like this   \   /   from the front view.  Is that what you mean?

I'm off to see if can find some pictures check the angle against - I seem to remember reading that the FR 46/47 had a different U/C to the Spitfire for carrier ops. - I could well be wrong though.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R

Thanks for the info Dave! Yes this is exactly what I meant! The angle of legs should be on the opposite side & wheels ended up perpendicular to the ground following my documentation! I finally trimmed a bit the outboard side of squared hole in order to achieve the proper fit! I’ll try to post some pictures of that!

Thanks again for the reply!👍

Frank

Edited by Frank083

Hi All,

I've primed it and masked it and it's ready for the Sky undersides to be painted.

H245gQ1YCwhpFyAz70wJaVXUW5aZTpB7QcKEbVPS

1JPoq67sjvYbhpqMiTAan_qrLYf3-nLImN5WHr-1

I'm going to prime the rubber rudder and spinner white, which should work better for the yellow colour.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 2

HI All,

I've got the main decals on.

XSxrGeP661O4nQumfK5QfbJxl1Ur17jA-MKxfZPk

wjBYImeKjK4JDTd9CCm42Nh69sLYGr6X01l4HLee

There's still a bit of detail painting to do - prop tips, pitots etc. and more stencils to go on , but the end is in sight.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 3