Panzer IV Ausf.K "What-if" +++COMPLETED+++

Mig Eater

I've finished modelling the turret, the original plan is very basic so I took some artistic licence & added some necessities such as view ports in the roof hatches (in a similar manner to the hatches on the Puma turret) & a ventilation hole (the original kit comes with the cap that will go on top). The last thing left to do before printing is to make a hole in the mantlet for the metal barrel, which should hopefully arrive in the next few days.

pz4k3d_04.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 2

I love this project! Since it´s for once possible to try to think like a tank designer, here´s my thoughts about the splash ring problem, if you don´t mind me adding my :2c:?

splashring

The ridges 3/4 around the crew hatches are actually splash rings, so there doesn´t need to be another one around the turret, just the missing sections between the hatches and to the sides could do (sorry, I can´t draw better lines with MS cut tool).

V-P 

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try & sand the defector ring off the print that I've already done. In the future I will just remove that part from the 3D model before printing if I use this turret again, or keep it if I'm going to use a standard Panzer IV turret.

Edit: So just as I was posting this the post arrived with the metal barrel, I can start printing the turret parts tomorrow then.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Printing the turret parts is taking awhile, I've tried twice so far but both times the main turret shell has failed & come out warped (in different places each time). Most of the smaller parts aren't fitting together too, it's probably caused by the way the software converts the model to printer code which is making them slightly bigger. To compensate I've had modify the 3D model, making some parts bigger & other smaller. Both issues are just a matter of trial & error until I find the right support set up & model size etc, but it takes a day to print & I cant do it every day, hopefully it will be third time lucky though 😛 

While I was waiting I for the printer to do it's thing I worked on the hull some more, I've sanded off the shot deflector around the turret ring, so the new turret will correctly fit now. To help cover up the sanded areas & give it a bit more detail I added some surface texture with Mr. surfacer 500. I also used milliput to add weld seams along the side of the hull & around the front machine gun port.

pz4k_08.jpg

• Like 4

So after several more attempts the parts for the turret have finally printed correctly. It was extremely frustrating because every time something different would go wrong (supports would fail, build plate wasn't level, resin had been in the machine to long, etc, etc.). Even this time the ventilation hole of the roof had a bit missing, instead of waiting 14 hours to print another copy which might fail anyway I instead fixed it with some Milliput. 

pz4k_09.jpg

Here are the parts dry fitted on the hull along with an RB Models metal barrel. I'll add some surface texture, cutting marks & lifting hooks next, then I just need to make the tracks & I can start painting!

pz4k_10.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

I've started on the tracks & have done one side thus far. The instructions for the kit didn't say how many track links were needed per side but a quick google says 99, I needed 100 though & the fit is very tight. The turret is now all glued together too, minus the view ports which I'm going to re-print in transparent green resin. I applied some texture to the surface of the turret & cut marks to the edges of the armoured plates. I also added some handy little resin lifting loops that I got as a freebie with an order from  Paper Panzer Productions.

pz4k_11.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I took a break from my Panzer IV K build for awhile to get a few other things out of the way before I started painting. I'm back to it now though & thus far I've applied a black primer & then a white pre-shade highlight, next is a base coat of red primer. I always find white paint a pain to work with no mater what brand it's from & can never get it as clean & smooth as I'd like. Pre-shading will be barely visible once all the other layers of paint have been applied though so it thankfully doesn't need to be perfect.

pz4k_12.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 3

My Panzer IV K now has some colour with a modulated red oxide primer base. The pre-shading from the previous step has all but disappeared with only hints left in a few areas here & there. Next is a coat of varnish to seal & protect the work done thus far, then several layers of hairspray will be applied in preparation for the next stage...

pz4k_13.jpg

pz4k_14.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 7

I have just checked in on this project for the first time and I am seriously impressed! I've not seen 3D printing used so much by modellers yet (though we've all hear about it) and the results are fantastic here. I really like the concept for your project, it would have been an interesting tank. We see a lot of 'Luft 46' aircraft so why not vehicles too?

The painting looks super, too. 

I've made some more progress with the painting; the barrel was painted grey primer colour & I also added a hard edged Dunkelgelb camo pattern. Which was then heavily chipped using the hairspray technique, then highlights were added with a brush & additional darker chips were added with a sponge. I've also finished painting the sprockets & wheels, I put my 3d printer to use again to make a handy little mask for painting the wheel hubs. Half of them have been painted in Dunkelgelb & chipped to match the pattern that's on the hull. Lastly a simple Balkenkreuz decal was added to the side of the turret, the decals that came with the kit are 20 years old & not looking very healthy so I used one left over from a previous Panzer E-100 build.

Next up is filters & washes...   

pz4k_15.jpg

pz4k_16.jpg

pz4k_17.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 8

Hi Mig Eater,

I was hoping to see some progress in the physical world and am happy to see your 3D printing was a success and you are now at the painting stage. Very nice indeed!

If I may point out one 'error' and that's the silvering on the drive sprocket teeth.

Earlier this year, there was a discussion about German tank tracks and modellers' habit of silvering them to depict wear, and the conclusion was that it was incorrect.

The same applies to most other parts of the tank. When worn/polished by friction, then, the sprocket teeth should be a glossy reddish brown, as can be seen in the photo below (although here the teeth have lost their sheen due to inactivity and oxidation)

vkLRDH1.jpg

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that the polished metal parts aren't very accurate, I just prefer them that way. I manly build fictional what-if stuff after all, so my focus is more on what I think is cool rather than correct :P I'd like to point out though that I still have multiple layers of filters, washes & pigments to add so the metal parts wont be as pronounced once I'm finished.

I'm using 3DS Max, which is typical used to make models for computer games & special effects for films etc. So it's overkill for this kind of work but it's the program I'm most experienced with. If anyone is interested in learning 3D modelling I'd recommend Sketchup or Blender which are both free.

Edited by Mig Eater

On 2/16/2019 at 9:45 AM, Mig Eater said:

I've made some more progress with the painting; the barrel was painted grey primer colour & I also added a hard edged Dunkelgelb camo pattern. Which was then heavily chipped using the hairspray technique, then highlights were added with a brush & additional darker chips were added with a sponge. I've also finished painting the sprockets & wheels, I put my 3d printer to use again to make a handy little mask for painting the wheel hubs. Half of them have been painted in Dunkelgelb & chipped to match the pattern that's on the hull. Lastly a simple Balkenkreuz decal was added to the side of the turret, the decals that came with the kit are 20 years old & not looking very healthy so I used one left over from a previous Panzer E-100 build.

Next up is filters & washes...   

pz4k_15.jpg

pz4k_16.jpg

pz4k_17.jpg

Wow! That's some heavy weathering. Very interesting build. It shows what can be done with a 3D printer. Great job so far!

I've finished the build & posted pictures in the gallery, check there for more. I had hoped to finish this one sooner & get another Panzer IV built there is only three weeks left in the GB now which isn't enough time at my speed :P I've already started planning for my next project though, which will be built as part of the upcoming Pershing/Patton GB. It's going to be a big project with about 95% of it being scratch built/3D printed, so if you enjoyed seeing this build go together make sure to drop in & have a look. 

pz4k_01.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've actually had quite a few inquires from people asking if they could buy a copy from me, 3D printing takes to long though so I'm planning to mould & cast a limited run. But first I'm going to redesign the parts so they fit the Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf.H kit instead of an old out of production Dragon one 😛 So I'll probably make another one of these in the near future, but probably with a standard Panzer IV turret this time though.

• Thanks 1

Sounds good.

I’d be keen on one if it fits the Tamiya Panzer IV Ausf H. 

Creating masters then casting  seems the way to go. 

Your curent thinking is only the modified hull not the turret? 

Cheers

Plasto