Panzer IV Ausf.K "What-if" +++COMPLETED+++

Mig Eater

I'm finished with moving into my new modelling room, so I can now finally join in with this GB!

Spoiler

desk01.jpg

desk02.jpg

desk03.jpg

My project for this group build will be using an old Dragon Kugelblitz kit from 1999.

pz4k_01.JPG

The Kugelblitz turret from this kit however has been earmarked for another build (Flakpanzer E-25) so I'll be using the leftover hull along with new 3D printed parts to make a Panzer IV Ausf.K.

In 1943 during the development of the Ausf.H Krupp proposed changing the Panzer IV's hull to a new sloped armour layout. This change would have required production to stop while factories re-tooled for the new design, this came at a time when production of the Panzer IV had been ordered to increase though so the new design was cancelled & the Ausf.H instead only received minor upgrades. Krupp also proposed a new simplified turret design for the Panzer IV in 1944 that would have greatly decreased the the time & resources needed for production while increasing protection. Production of the Panzer IV was ordered to be stopped though, with only the Jagdpanzer IV continuing so development of this new turret was cancelled. The combination of Krupp's Ausf.H sloped hull & simplified turret is what is known as the Ausf.K, which is an unofficial "what-if" name used to help differentiate this design from the other Panzer IV variants.

pz4k_00.png

Before I start work on the kit I first have to design the the new parts for the conversion & 3D print them, so it might be a few days before the next update.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Great that you are now able to join in with this STGB and that modelling space looks excellent! 

Not seen this Dragon kit before so I will interested to see it in progress and with your modifications. :popcorn:

Kind regards, 

Stix 

Edited by PlaStix

So I made a lot more progress today with the 3D modelling then I expected, I just need to add the crew hatches on the top & some bolt detail around the turret ring, then I can do the first test print. It can be hard to design conversion parts for an existing kit so I'll probably have to make alterations to the design & print it several times before it will fit the kit I'm using perfectly.

pz4k3d_01.JPG

11 hours ago, Scargsy said:

Are those some modular table/benches or DIY?

I made them myself :)

• Like 5

I finished the 3D modelling the hull a few days ago, I tried printing it with my new resin printer but I'm still figuring out how it works so my first few attempts failed. It was starting to get a bit frustrating so next I tried printing some other simpler models for practice, which worked out ok. I'll try printing the upper hull again later today, now I know more what to do it should hopefully work this time.   

pz4k3d_02.jpg

While I was waiting for the printer to do its thing I cleaned up & prepared all the parts for the lower hull (wheels, suspension, tracks, etc). The rear plate had multiple ejection pin marks that needed to be filled, it also has two holes on the left side which are presumablely location points for tools, the instructions however doesn't say to put anything there though 😕

pz4k_02.jpg

If the 3D print goes ok I should have the hull completed in a day or two. I'll then have to stop for awhile though as I waiting for a metal 75mm barrel that I ordered to arrive before I start work on making the turret.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Hi Mig Eater. Great to see there's been more progress and I hope the printing goes okay next time . 🤞

With regards the holes on the rear plate - in later images of the rear end, say in the painting instructions, does there appear to be anything located in that area? If there are tools it might be worth checking on the actual parts if the have any pins that would fit in the holes if drilled out. The other thing is that the rear plate may have been designed for use, by Dragon, for multiple kits/versions and the holes are not necessary for your version.

Kind regards,

Stix

The print is working ok now, it seams I didn't mix the resin properly the first time. Now I just have to wait 14 hours for it to finish 😛 I found a wooden block for the jack that could cover the holes on the rear plate nicely, then I had another look through the parts & found a second jack block that seams to fit the holes perfectly. Typical dragon more parts then you need & guess work instructions.

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Haha 1

The 3D print is finally finished! After a print is done you have to wash it in IPA to remove any residue & then put it under a UV lamp to fully cure (I'm using an old bug zapper for the job 😛) then I can remove the support structure & see how well it fits the kit.

pz4k_03.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 6

The fit isn't perfect as I expected, I could just use some plastic card to fill in the gaps etc. But there are a few other bits that I think could be improved so I'll modify the 3d model & print a new version.

pz4k_04.jpg

• Like 8

I've started printing the new version of the hull, I'm try out the highest resolution setting this time but this means that the print time has doubled to 26 hours now! I've already prepared most of the kit parts so there isn't much to do now but wait.

My other printer (I have two, one plastic & one resin) has also been busy with something a bit more functional. This handy little holder for Tamiya glue pots, I downloaded the files for it from here if anyone is interested.

gluepot.jpg

• Like 2

Andy from Andy’s Hobby Headquarters has been raving about how cool these jar holders are, i’m sure you would have some takers from members on here if you printed a few more 🙂

The second version has finished printing & has been cleaned up & fully cured. Not much changed externally, but the underside now fits the kit perfectly (even better then the kit's original parts! 😝) I can now start putting it all together so I should have a lot of progress to show with the next update. The metal barrel I ordered will be here in a few days so I'll be able to start designing the 3D model for the turret soon too.

pz4k_05.jpg

pz4k_06.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 6

You see what you did now? I have started to put out my grubby little fingers in search of one of those 3d printer thingies and must say that I thought my wife would kill me but she just sighed and said that if I feel that I need one then well I should just get it. So a happy little camper here. I will however first shop around a bit and then get one. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Haha 1

Ha ha! If you have any questions about 3D printing I'll be happy to answer them. How much experience do you have with 3D modelling? To get the most out of a 3D printer you have to be able to design your own models (you wont get far with just downloading ones from the web). If you haven't used any 3D modelling programs before I would suggest you try learning how to using one first before you buy a printer.

• Like 1

Well next to no experience vut I have a buddy that is extremely good at it and he is willing to teach me I will however keep your kind offer in mind as I am a want to know everything type of person. 

Regards:

Shaun 

• Like 1

All the major hull components have now been put together, just the tools, tracks & the wheels are missing but they will be painted separately & added later. I also used some Mr surfacer to add cutting marks to the sides of the frontal plate for some extra detail. I might add some weld detail in the groves down the sides too but I'm still thinking about the best way to do that, maybe with milliput...

pz4k_07.jpg

So with that stage done I thought I'd start designing the new turret only to find a major design flaw, It doesn't fit within the hull's shot deflector ring! It seams so obvious now that I look at it but I was so engrossed with the hull that I didn't think about the turret. I can think of multiple ways to resolve this, ranging from just lifting the turret up a bit so it clears the deflector ring (which is what I've done in the 3D render), to taking the whole thing apart & printing a new version.

pz4k3d_03.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:40 PM, the South African said:

You see what you did now? I have started to put out my grubby little fingers in search of one of those 3d printer thingies and must say that I thought my wife would kill me but she just sighed and said that if I feel that I need one then well I should just get it. So a happy little camper here. I will however first shop around a bit and then get one. 

Regards:

Shaun 

You do realize that you're going to re-pay this over and over for years to come, don't you? It will be casually brought up every now and then, especially when SWMBO wants or buys something. Ask me how I know!

Chris

• Haha 1