Spitfire Mk IXe - 1/72 Eduard

New years greetings to you all - my first completion for the year - mostly built last year of course. The Eduard Spit Mk 9 in 1/72. The kit was great and is highly recommended to those looking to fill the Spitfire 1/72 gap in your life. It was my first Eduard kit and I'm a solid convert after this. Looking forward to building many more. I used Tamiya Acrylics in the main, with some Vallejo Air Color and oils for the weathering.

WIP is here:

I lost the rear view mirror to the carpet monster - also I mistakenly put the stencils decals over the invasion stripes (doh!) though I'm blaming Eduard's painting guide for that. 

RfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiRfiDark

Thanks for bearing with me as I'm still trying to improve my photography skills - Thanks for reading..!

• Like 66

Very nice Spit, basically – the detailing belies the small scale!

To my eyes, the 'panel joints' on the fuselage look way over-emphasised, almost killing the otherwise convincing realism of the finish.

Also, a parked Spit without drooping elevators looks a bit 'stiff' in some way.

Overall, very nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

A beautiful looking Spit.  Some very nice weathering too.  Spitfires operating out of Normandy really did get pretty grubby.  I like that they ground crew hadn't had time to apply the black stripes to the fuselage.

• Thanks 1

Recently finished a IXc, very nice but I feel it was a bit over-engineered. The cockpit interior is not a straight forward fit into the fuselage to get the halves to fit together. A very nicely finished model. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments fellas. 

12 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Eduards small scale Spits are easily the nicest to build, excellent work

Thanks Neil

9 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Stunning! Well done

Thanks Whitley

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

To my eyes, the 'panel joints' on the fuselage look way over-emphasised, almost killing the otherwise convincing realism of the finish.

This is fair criticism and I agree - the wash I used came out too dark which is a repeat offence for me - I did try to make it lighter but came out very dark anyway. I'll get this right some day :)

8 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

I've not tried an Eduard myself... Peeped into the box of an Eduard Spit at the LHS and it scared me to death!

Lol - If you were to take points off this kit, it would be for over engineering - you have to construct everything - for example, the carburettors come in 4 pieces (6 if you include the PE) when it's one piece in the Airfix kit - the Airfix piece looks just as good IMHO...  Also the tolerances are very very precise - if it's .0001 mm out, you have to do it again. 

8 hours ago, J Sherratt said:

I'm building one of these at the moment and I agree with your comments it is certainly a good kit so far.

Looking forward to seeing your version John! 

8 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I put one on the shelf of doom when I couldn't close the fuselage over the cockpit assembly.

Definitely worth another look Vinnie - tolerances are non-existent with this kit which can be very fiddlely at this scale but if you can get it sorted, you'll have a very nice spit.

7 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Supurb result.   

Thanks Hairtrigger

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Love it KM, you can just say that a Jerry shell blew the mirror off!

Thanks matey! - Obviously that's what happened :

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A beautiful looking Spit.  Some very nice weathering too.  Spitfires operating out of Normandy really did get pretty grubby.  I like that they ground crew hadn't had time to apply the black stripes to the fuselage.

I really liked that aspect of the scheme - gives it a nice point of difference. I actually planned to make this a fairly "clean" model, weathering wise but obviously couldn't help myself - you do a little, and it looks okay but then you have to do the whole model that way :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr T said:

The cockpit interior is not a straight forward fit into the fuselage to get the halves to fit together.

This seems to be a common complaint - I had the opposite problem where the fuselage halves ended up over lapping due to careless placement of my clothes peg clamps - However I totally agree that the kit is over engineered..! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...