1/72 Special Hobby Mirage F1EQ "Iraq"

Tired of the same old builds, I looked for something in the stash that would be a little different...and I found it! 🙂 This kit was fantastic! So much better than the old Hasegawa kit. Other than the CMK ejection seat, she was built out of the box with ECM/chaff & flare pods, 4x AAMs, and centerline bag. I painted her with MRP paints, freehand camo on top, and Alclad for the external tank. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!

Rich

resized_e282c73e-e18d-4a41-a929-420f7a12

resized_ea32b7f8-f47d-4b93-8fd2-67d8d368

resized_0587d986-3b13-484e-bbf3-7c7d2b94

resized_1c5a0659-e377-41ee-8482-3abafc49

resized_b120732e-8eb3-4240-ac58-3ac5ff73

resized_f130bdd5-78b4-4583-9ace-1ac02741

resized_f72cd1e3-688d-4019-995f-8b6106c2

Edited by viperchief
  • Like 43

3 hours ago, Josh G said:

Awesome job; is it representative of an actual plane? I'd like to know the story behind it, obviously an ace in the war against Iran.  

The aircraft was flown by major Abdul Karim Mukhalad, among other pilots, but all those kills are not confirmed even by IrAF.

• Like 2

Nice result! I've seen this kit and it looks really sweet. Wish they would upscale it to 1/48 but doubt that they will because KittyHawk filled that space with their less than stellar effort. 

Very nice freehand spray work!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josh G said:

Awesome job; is it representative of an actual plane? I'd like to know the story behind it, obviously an ace in the war against Iran.  

Thank you! Yes, this aircraft served in the Iraqi air force. Found this tidbit online:

Probably the most-photographed and best-known Iraqi Mirage F.1 was the “4014”. Used for weapon-testing in France, in 1980, it was seen carrying SAMP 400 LGBs, SYCOMOR ECM-pods, and various other equipment. Once in Iraq, this plane was used by various pilots of No.79 Squadron to claim a total of no less but 14 kills, in 1981 and 1982. At least five of these were considered as confirmed by the IrAF. These included a claim by Capt. Muhalab, from an air combat near Ahwaz, in June 1982, in which he had shot down an F-4E, the pilot of which was captured. The plane is shown with standard weapons configuration for intercept role: with a Matra Super 530F-1 under inboard pylon, and a single R.550 Magic Mk.1 on wing-tip. This Mirage survived the war and was later captured by US troops, in 2003

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Well done on that, great camo job, not heard of those paints, seem interesting

Thank you! MRP paints are excellent and ready to spray right out of the bottle! They are lacquer-based so they do smell but if you can work around that, you won't be disappointed! 

8 hours ago, neil5208 said:

lovely work, nice freehand with the airbrush. How do find the MRP paint to spray

Thank you very much! I absolutely love MRP paint and the paint really revolutionized my modeling! I used to like building more than painting but now i can't wait to start spraying! They are ready to spray out of the bottle and go down so smooth. Highly recommended. 

Please allow me some remarks.

The paint scheme looks great. The colors, especially the RLM 75 seem to match perfectly.

However, no such ECM pods under the wings, no Barax, no Phimat, but instead, Remora or Sycomor. No Mk.10 ejection seat, but a Mk.6... and I think the RDF antenna is missing on the back just behind the canopy. And I know the Doppler fairing is only a decal. Maybe the oblique line under the windshield should have been erased because it is the sign of an IFR capable aircraft which the 4014 is not...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Please allow me some remarks.

The paint scheme looks great. The colors, especially the RLM 75 seem to match perfectly.

However, no such ECM pods under the wings, no Barax, no Phimat, but instead, Remora or Sycomor. No Mk.10 ejection seat, but a Mk.6... and I think the RDF antenna is missing on the back just behind the canopy. And I know the Doppler fairing is only a decal. Maybe the oblique line under the windshield should have been erased because it is the sign of an IFR capable aircraft which the 4014 is not...

Thank you for your comment and you are correct on all counts. The pods were provided in the kit and looked close enough to the Remora/Sycomor pods that I went ahead and used them :-). The other items you mentioned are known issues but I chose to neglect them. You have a keen eye for the Mirage!

Yes, I like Mirage F1...

And can we talk about the second electronic bay on the back ?  Unpresent on SH kit but can be engraved because it is present on every Iraqi versions...

OK.  Maybe Phimat can look like a Sycomor pod but I'm not sure Barax can be confused with Remora...

weapon_498.jpg

msg-15260-0-84837600-1443032051.jpg

Very nice indeed!

I have this kit on the bench but mine will be the grey-over-white Exocet-toting option. As eclipse wrote the kit has the wrong type of ECM and Chaff/Flare pods to be truly accurate OOB for an IrAF aircraft so it's a pity that Special Hobby didn't include the correct ones.

Mike.B)

52 minutes ago, MikeR said:

it's a pity that Special Hobby didn't include the correct ones.

Hi, hi, smart guys of Special Hobby chose to propose Remora and Symocor on resin aftermarket with their CMK brand...