1/48 Phantom FGR.2 aftermarket parts?

RMP2

Hi Antti,

it was made for the U.K. what do you think?!!

Having had a look at a number of photos, to my eyes it appears that the R.N. F-4K and the RAF Mk.3 (F-4J) had the longer fuel dumps and the RAF F-4K the short, BUT, there are inconsistencies across the fleet. Best thing to do is work from a photo.

Paul

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi, I assume you remember Ted and his Jag parts!.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009636-kitty-hawk-148-jaguar-correction-kit/&page=2

I also bought Spey intakes and nozzles from him, he also has an full?engine !

Edit: you probably have it already;) 

The Daco set has an Aspide missilem similar to the Skyflash. Revell Tornados should have Skyflashs by the way!

Cheers, Werner

I forgot about the Spey intakes from Ted, but you are correct re the actual engine, I have a single one of those.

Sparrows are passable for me I reckon, As Selwyn has pointed out the major difference (especially in 48th scale) is the colour. I wont tell if noone else does. :)

13 hours ago, At Sea said:

These guys are kitting the whole F-4 range apparently.

Detail and quality are excellent from what I can see.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_085.html

They have made an F-4 J, C, D, S and are planning to release an E soon.  

Aaaah, yes. The alsosillypricedphantoms... As nice as they may be I dont think my skills can justify them should they get around to the FG/FGRs.

12 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

I have used the alley cat ones in a build and they fit perfectly. Should I buy another Spey Phantom (Revell is re-releasing them this year) I will invest in another Alley Cat set for sure. RAF Phantom FOD covers are rather simple to make, unless the RN used different ones you can replicate them with a sheet of styrene and a bit of Milliput. Still I would go with the full length intakes.

There are a couple of options at least for the Spey engined intake covers but as you say they shouldnt be too difficult, even for me, to knock up something half sensible.

8 hours ago, TBC said:

And if you care to, or are interested, the old Black Box cockpit for the FGR.2.

Thanks but resin cockpits are not for me, not yet at least.

47 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Antti,

it was made for the U.K. what do you think?!!

Having had a look at a number of photos, to my eyes it appears that the R.N. F-4K and the RAF Mk.3 (F-4J) had the longer fuel dumps and the RAF F-4K the short, BUT, there are inconsistencies across the fleet. Best thing to do is work from a photo.

Paul

Hello Paul,

that's an interesting point. So far I've noted that that the first FG.1 (YF-4K) prototype had a normal fuel vent mast and all other British Phantoms the shorter "British Export Version". And then many factory documents give false information: check for example the Plane captains handbook for F-4K/M and compare those locations diagrams with F-4J. They are exactly the same. And they shouldn't be.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:45 PM, RMP2 said:

Very much understood from all angles. However... it was these few photos that got me on the whole train of thought for this.... this.... episode. Seems odd and a bit wrong I know, but there it is:

32704859588_c4efff19d0_b.jpg

phantom radar Starb side

Phantom-Radar

Well, you can't argue with some photographic evidence. But.... (sharp intake of breath) a bit naughty!!

I was down there in 1988 in the final months of 23 Sqn, prior to the change to 1435. All 4 Phantoms down there always flew fully armed, not just the QRA jets.

Time is dimming the memory, but I'm sure we unloaded the missiles prior to any work like that. Got to be a real PITA.

On the Skyflash subject. The Revell boxing has 4 Skyflash with the appropriate decals included. Just is lacking the winders.🤔

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Aaaah, yes. The alsosillypricedphantoms... As nice as they may be I dont think my skills can justify them should they get around to the FG/FGRs.

Aaaah, yes. 

But by the time you add corrected FG.1 / FGR.2 wheels (£10) and some etch (£7-£30) even with a Revell kit at a discounted £25 including postage you get close...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Well, you can't argue with some photographic evidence. But.... (sharp intake of breath) a bit naughty!!

I was down there in 1988 in the final months of 23 Sqn, prior to the change to 1435. All 4 Phantoms down there always flew fully armed, not just the QRA jets.

Time is dimming the memory, but I'm sure we unloaded the missiles prior to any work like that. Got to be a real PITA.

Agreed, that was the norm, however there was a clause "in the book" that OC Eng could authorise work on a loaded aircraft in exceptional cases, all missile pins are in and the gun cover removed so that means firing pin and drive shaft disconnected.  Happy days! :penguin:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the help, guys, much appreciated.

Just thinking about the gun pod now as it was "a thing" for Phantoms.

Any ideas for resin bits or references for open panels and whatnot for that?

• 4 weeks later...

Further to the opened up SUU gun pod thought... can anyone recommend a kit that includes worthwhile parts such as the breach and any other gubbins that someone may have spare given that it was fitted to F14s, F-15s, F-16s and a whole heap of other things?
I see there is the barrel assy available in brass which looks nice although potentially rather fiddly but Im game for a punt at it.

Or any links to someone having dont such a thing before with the pod would be great - I havent found anything though, suspecting there could be a good reason for this...?

Edited by RMP2

Noticed a bit about the fuel dump pipe in the thread, the FG.1 (apart from the prototypes) had the short dump and this was to give much needed clearance to be able to fit on the smaller British carrier lifts, my understanding is that FGR.2s also had this pipe, and photos seem to bear that out.  However the pipe can look a bit different dependant on the angle they are viewed at.