1/48 Phantom FGR.2 aftermarket parts?

RMP2

Hi gang. I am in the process of getting back onboard with sticking plastic together and have been going over the contents of my stash, seeing whats what, what can stay and what can go.
One kit in particular is definitely staying as I want to build another 1/48 Hasegawa/Revell FGR.2 but as opened up and detailed as I can, something of a self challenge. As such I was wondering if I have overlooked any parts that are well worthwhile obtaining for it

I should point out here that I am not concerned with wheel wells or auxiliary intakes in resin, nor a resin cockpit. My scratch building skills are rather limited/basic too.

Here is what I have so far:

Eduard F-4J/S radar

Aires avionics bays

A resin Spey engine

Eduard Aim-7Ms & AIM-9M/Ls

Eduard BigEd PE set - Belts/Placards/RAF & NATO RBFs/Masks/IP & Cockpit bits/Incorrect Intake Covers...

Airwaves AIM-9 Noddy caps

Hasegawa US F-4 Pilot ladder
Hasegawa US F-4 Refueling probe parts

Flightline Pilot internal ladder

Couple of sets of decals from the Revell boxing and a couple of sets of 1435 Flight markings etc for pretty obvious reasons ;)

Any thoughts on anything else that may be worth while and not ridiculous money for a marginal improvement?

I was thinking correct intake covers for one, maybe Flightlines rear ladder as another. I dont know of any other aftermarket that suits the FGR.2 version, but I dare say theres more out there..?

As ever, thanks for any help and Happy New Year to you all.

Cor blimey!  I think that's enough...

Can't think of anything else FGR.2 specific without going scratch, but don't forget anything F-4B / F-4J is mostly okay as providing it's not engine based it'll look the same in 1/48th.

Don't forget that SWS will be bringing out a K/M model at some point, which will help.

• Like 1

If you're doing a 1435 Flt jet, don't bother with the pilot's ladder. Only the nav's ladder was used, front cockpit access was using the drop down steps that are included in the Flightpath rear ladder set.

Missiles were Skyflash and AIM9L, not AIM7 Sparrows. Your model, do as you please and all that.........! But on the real thing, if it was all opened up for maintenance, no missiles would be fitted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

Don't forget that SWS will be bringing out a K/M model at some point, which will help.

Who? Ive been off, sick, Sir.

28 minutes ago, Phone Phixer said:

If you're doing a 1435 Flt jet, don't bother with the pilot's ladder. Only the nav's ladder was used, front cockpit access was using the drop down steps that are included in the Flightpath rear ladder set.

Missiles were Skyflash and AIM9L, not AIM7 Sparrows. Your model, do as you please and all that.........! But on the real thing, if it was all opened up for maintenance, no missiles would be fitted.

Youre not wrong re the ladder for the fella up front, I just checked my hoard of photos. Cheers, will make it a little more different from the Shiny II  lump with both sets of external steps.
7s vs Skyflash... I was about to argue from memory, but figured I would check first. Good job I did. Youre not wrong there either. FG1 had Sparrows and the Skyflash came later I believe, like FGR.2 later. But hey, how many people can tell one from the other? Its just a bit of cable trunking isnt it...?

Edited by RMP2

Hello RMP2,

I bought some "extra" bits for my FG.1 project and here are my findings:

- Aires seats: really nice H7s, highly recommended. I don't remember if they were Navy or Air Force models -and which type was used on British Phantoms.

- Aires cockpit set; bad fit. A lot of material has to be removed from kit parts

- Aires scoops for the nose; they will save time for other areas. Recommended

- Aires jet pipes: Hasegawa's own re-heat cans are better as they look "right" but the long jet pipes on the other hand are good and rather accurate

- resin interiors for the forward auxiliary air intakes need a lot of extra detailing; i used scratch built items instead

- Aires resin wheels; very nice looking items. On the minus side they are flattened so you should be especially careful when attaching them. Highly recommended

- metal landing gears were exact copies of kit's original parts. Not really needed as the model isn't that heavy

- Furball Aero instrument decals for F-4B/J/N; look perfect. I will use them on my "soon to start" FGR.2

Remember that Hasegawa kit represents a FG.1 so you need to re-position door 62 and re-scribe some panel lines on the fin.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello RMP2,

- Aires seats: really nice H7s, highly recommended. I don't remember if they were Navy or Air Force models -and which type was used on British Phantoms.

- Aires resin wheels; very nice looking items. On the minus side they are flattened so you should be especially careful when attaching them. Highly recommended

Remember that Hasegawa kit represents a FG.1 so you need to re-position door 62 and re-scribe some panel lines on the fin.

Cheers,

Antti

Smashing, thank you.

Im in training re painting resin seats, but have a few to get through before I hit this one, so will see how I go.
I forgot about weighted wheels, so thanks again, they do add a nice touch.

The bit about the FG1 is new to me. I will look into that.

Cheers.

Rob

• Like 1

@Antti_K Im struggling to find "door 62" in the Revell instructions... is this a Hasegawa numbering thing or am I missing something blindingly obvious? (it wouldnt be the first time).
While Im here - any advice on the varying FG.1 and FGR.2 panel lines on the fin would be great. As I say, thats news to me re the aircraft nevermind the kits.

You are welcome Rob🙂

Here is one of my FG.1's seats. It is easy to handle during construction when you drill a hole on the bottom and attach a length of sprue to act as a handle. When painting etc is completed simply cut this handle away. Especially the navigator's seat sits too low in the cockpit so a piece of plastic should be attached on the bottoms of the seats. Looking at my photos it seems that these Aires seats represent the Air Force version; a small oxygen bottle is located in the lower corner of the back rest.

44f93b0b-8298-4f59-be4e-65808ffa7a80.JPG

Aires jet pipes look good although they require a lot of work to sit properly in place. The PE flame holder and re-heat spray nozzles are almost spot on.

b2c55d71-865e-43f1-bd4d-c2a9d01d7339.JPG

Here is my scratch built keel box.

2546c45f-8933-47ba-b3a0-54cd8a995df8.JPG

I also built "proper" intakes using surplus SU-24M tanks, plasticard and Milliput. Worth the effort.

b0bf04e0-d63b-4621-aaf0-f7ff3b88ff8a.JPG

54a26d36-f156-49b1-a064-5abc896efb2b.JPG

A tail beacon made of red sprue from a car kit is a nice detail.

0a4b89f7-b5ef-4692-9490-f7224210df57.JPG

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Phone Phixer said:

Your model, do as you please and all that.........! But on the real thing, if it was all opened up for maintenance, no missiles would be fitted.

Very much understood from all angles. However... it was these few photos that got me on the whole train of thought for this.... this.... episode. Seems odd and a bit wrong I know, but there it is:

32704859588_c4efff19d0_b.jpg

phantom radar Starb side

Phantom-Radar

Edited by RMP2

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

@Antti_K Im struggling to find "door 62" in the Revell instructions... is this a Hasegawa numbering thing or am I missing something blindingly obvious? (it wouldnt be the first time).
While Im here - any advice on the varying FG.1 and FGR.2 panel lines on the fin would be great. As I say, thats news to me re the aircraft nevermind the kits.

Door 62 locates on the starboard rear fuselage. It is presented as a small rectangular recess with a panel line surrounding it. The recess is actually a small window for checking the arrestor hook air pressure gauge.

I used this site as well as walk around photos available on the web

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html

• Like 2

I screwed up the embedded links for the last 2 pics, apols, but I think the links work if you click em.

2 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Door 62 locates on the starboard rear fuselage. It is presented as a small rectangular recess with a panel line surrounding it. The recess is actually a small window for checking the arrestor hook air pressure gauge.

I used this site as well as walk around photos available on the web

https://phantomphacts.blogspot.com/2014/05/differences-between-phantom-fg1-and-fgr2.html

Ahhhh, sorry. I took the number as being a part number in the kit, not the real deal. Thanks, I will see if I can manage to integrate that with my "skills" as they are. :)

An opened up SUU-23 gun pod would be good too, but I dont think anyone makes such a thing?

Is there anything that could be robbed from another kit and some sawing up of the kit pod that could make it all work? Im fairly sure its a standard 20mm 6 barrelled thing hiding in there.

2 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Rob,

a quick search over the Internet shows that FGR.2s had the "Air Force version" MB H7 seat. So you can use Aires seats as such.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks. I will see how I get on with the resin seats for a couple of other things first and weigh them up against the Eduard PE bits that I have used in my other RAF/Royal Navy Phantoms.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I also built "proper" intakes using surplus SU-24M tanks, plasticard and Milliput. Worth the effort.

😮

You robbed things from the mighty Su-24 kit? The tanks of all things??? Ruthless!! :)

• Haha 1

Just now, RMP2 said:

😮

You robbed things from the mighty Su-24 kit? The tanks of all things??? Ruthless!! :)

So I did... The "Chemodan" required so much Milliput to look right that she had to give something in return😉

• Like 1

Have you considered any seamless intakes? Alley Cat and DMold makes sets. I think Alley Cat's are less expensive. I don't have them so can't comment on quality. I have the DMold sets and they look very nice.

• Like 1

The maintenance photo looks a lot like a QRA alert bird whose radar has gone u/s hence the rear seater liney and open nose. The air con pipe suggests radar powered up. Not the lack of intake covers. I understand that the covers would be out for maintenance as; they didn't fit tightly enough to stay in, not needed as an intake check is part of the work done, lineys have to account for all their tools at the end, only pilots are dumb enough to put stuff on an intake lip.

My source may be slightly biased as he was non-flying :D Green was my colour. 

The SAC metal under-carriage is a straight copy of the kit parts, at least mine are, useful for the double extended noseleg of the Navy Bird though. A good project. Amazing how tatty the grey jet looks, was this normal?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mstorin said:

Have you considered any seamless intakes? Alley Cat and DMold makes sets. I think Alley Cat's are less expensive. I don't have them so can't comment on quality. I have the DMold sets and they look very nice.

I briefly did, but if I can find the correct intake covers (or maybe scratch them) then I think Ill go that way.

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

The maintenance photo looks a lot like a QRA alert bird whose radar has gone u/s hence the rear seater liney and open nose. The air con pipe suggests radar powered up. Not the lack of intake covers. I understand that the covers would be out for maintenance as; they didn't fit tightly enough to stay in, not needed as an intake check is part of the work done, lineys have to account for all their tools at the end, only pilots are dumb enough to put stuff on an intake lip.

My source may be slightly biased as he was non-flying :D Green was my colour. 

The SAC metal under-carriage is a straight copy of the kit parts, at least mine are, useful for the double extended noseleg of the Navy Bird though. A good project. Amazing how tatty the grey jet looks, was this normal?

Cheers. Makes sense seeing as the photo is from the Falklands. I suspect that due to them being there was also what made them look a little rough. The aircraft I mean, not the guys.
Isnt all SAC gear exact copies of kit stuff? I think everything Ive seen and recogised is.

11 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Hi gang. I am in the process of getting back onboard with sticking plastic together and have been going over the contents of my stash, seeing whats what, what can stay and what can go.
One kit in particular is definitely staying as I want to build another 1/48 Hasegawa/Revell FGR.2 but as opened up and detailed as I can, something of a self challenge. As such I was wondering if I have overlooked any parts that are well worthwhile obtaining for it

I should point out here that I am not concerned with wheel wells or auxiliary intakes in resin, nor a resin cockpit. My scratch building skills are rather limited/basic too.

Here is what I have so far:

Eduard F-4J/S radar

Aires avionics bays

A resin Spey engine

Eduard Aim-7Ms & AIM-9M/Ls

Eduard BigEd PE set - Belts/Placards/RAF & NATO RBFs/Masks/IP & Cockpit bits/Incorrect Intake Covers...

Airwaves AIM-9 Noddy caps

Hasegawa US F-4 Pilot ladder
Hasegawa US F-4 Refueling probe parts

Flightline Pilot internal ladder

Couple of sets of decals from the Revell boxing and a couple of sets of 1435 Flight markings etc for pretty obvious reasons ;)

Any thoughts on anything else that may be worth while and not ridiculous money for a marginal improvement?

I was thinking correct intake covers for one, maybe Flightlines rear ladder as another. I dont know of any other aftermarket that suits the FGR.2 version, but I dare say theres more out there..?

As ever, thanks for any help and Happy New Year to you all.

Hi, I assume you remember Ted and his Jag parts!.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009636-kitty-hawk-148-jaguar-correction-kit/&page=2

I also bought Spey intakes and nozzles from him, he also has an full?engine !

Edit: you probably have it already;) 

The Daco set has an Aspide missilem similar to the Skyflash. Revell Tornados should have Skyflashs by the way!

Cheers, Werner

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Youre not wrong re the ladder for the fella up front, I just checked my hoard of photos. Cheers, will make it a little more different from the Shiny II  lump with both sets of external steps.
7s vs Skyflash... I was about to argue from memory, but figured I would check first. Good job I did. Youre not wrong there either. FG1 had Sparrows and the Skyflash came later I believe, like FGR.2 later. But hey, how many people can tell one from the other? Its just a bit of cable trunking isnt it...?

Apart from the fact that Skyflash were a completely different colour (Light aircraft grey) and had proximity sensor antenna on the forebody, thinner wings, quite a bit of difference!

Selwyn

10 hours ago, RMP2 said:

These guys are kitting the whole F-4 range apparently.

Detail and quality are excellent from what I can see.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_085.html

They have made an F-4 J, C, D, S and are planning to release an E soon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mstorin said:

I have used the alley cat ones in a build and they fit perfectly. Should I buy another Spey Phantom (Revell is re-releasing them this year) I will invest in another Alley Cat set for sure. RAF Phantom FOD covers are rather simple to make, unless the RN used different ones you can replicate them with a sheet of styrene and a bit of Milliput. Still I would go with the full length intakes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mstorin said:

Hello all,

I looked for these when I built my FG.1 but none were available. The ones I saw on eBay were for F-4J so the external shape was wrong. I'm currently measuring the Hasegawa intakes and it looks like they are too wide and when viewed from the side they are too flat on top; they should curve more. The shape is clearly different than in F-4B/C/D/E/F/J/N.

Cheers,

Antti