1/72 Curtiss Hawk II, Thai air force, Franco-Thai War 1940

Hi!

Here I present my first finish of 2019. RS model 1/72 Curtiss Hawk II kit, completed as Thai air force fighter during Franco-Thai War 1940.

Originally from Thailand myself, this is my second Thai aircraft. A bit about Hawk II. In Thai service it was known as type 18 or fighter number 9 (Our latest Grippen is only fighter number 20. Apparently we didn't have too many types in our history).  Only 12 of of Hawk II were purchased because the air force chose to adopted Hawk III type (fighter number 10) as its main fighter. The record is very limited on the use of Hawk II. Most only mention Hawk-type. As far as I know, there is no photo of Hawk II in camouflage. I don't know how long it survived in service but, since Thai had facility to produce and maintain a fleet of Hawk III, it is reasonable to assume they were able to keep the older brother in service too. 

The kit is quite nice for its kind. It went together without much problem. I modified bulges on both side of fuselage according the photos of Thai Hawk II. The bulge on the starboard side is quite substantial. The telescopic gun sight in the kit was broken, so I changed to ring and bead type common on Thai Hawk III. 

23jCkWD.jpg

ExHL2y1.jpg

lVS4NiR.jpg

Trebf1F.jpg

E94B7qS.jpg

bgB7GnW.jpg

BOGKgR3.jpg

6wCr6pS.jpg

Mxnc502.jpg

Cheers! 
Nanond 

• Like 28