Cross-kitting for a 1/48 scale Spirfire PR XI?

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

Desiring to have a Spitfire PR XI in 1/48 scale, I started a build using the Airfix PR XIX kit and grafting a Merlin nose onto it.  That effort eventually stalled, and now I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do the deed.  Has anyone tried fitting the Airfix kit wing to someone else's Mk IX fuselage?  If so, what kit's fuselage?  I know Airfix did a Mk IX a few year back.  Eduard has a great Mk IX, but could it be crossed into the Airfix wing?  Are there any other alternative cross-kit possibilities?  I know there are rumors of a new PR XI kit, but I'd prefer to move along now versus waiting for a kit that may not come for some time yet.  All inputs welcome!

Thanks, Jim

Hello Jim

Do not want to discourage you, but conversion may be a better option than cross-kitting. Quick Boost makes a resin conversion here, but there are others, too. Apart from that new PR Spitfire canopy would also be needed, and there is certainly no shortage of those AM parts. Cheers

Jure

Jim,

Not my scale, but I agree with Jure; I think using an Eduard weekend edition Mk VII/VIII with the QB PRXI conversion would be the way to go, as you would have the correct radiators, prop, exhausts, wheels, and retractable tail wheel. You would need to fill the cartridge ejections slots, fill the panel lines not needed, and add the new ones. You would need to  get a vacform PR canopy, as I'm not sure that any of the Eduard Merlin kits come with one. Opening the camera ports would be easy- just need to cobble up the booster fuel pump blisters under the wings. If you went the PR XIX route, I think you would pretty much have the PR wing, but would need Merlin radiators, as the ones on the Griffon-powered Spits were bigger, IIRC. You'd still need the QB conversion for the PR Merlin bits, as well as wheels- IIRC the XI had four-spoke wheels and the PR XIX had three-spoke. Both ways would work- see which method you have the parts for or  works out to be the cheapest, I guess.

Mike

• Like 2

I did it in 72 a while ago using the xix and ix kits to produce a Xi and xiv...

Using the quickboost set sorts kit the oil tank nose for the Merlin and the cameras but you still have to sort out how to get the D type wing onto a fuselage. 

In 1/48 the Airfix xix will give you the D type wing and the canopy. Would those fit onto the Airfix Vb fuselage? You’d then have to find a kit to donate the 60 series cowling and a broad chord rudder, Merlin radiators, Prop etc... 

Interesting project...

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Jim,

Not my scale, but I agree with Jure; I think using an Eduard weekend edition Mk VII/VIII with the QB PRXI conversion would be the way to go, as you would have the correct radiators, prop, exhausts, wheels, and retractable tail wheel. You would need to fill the cartridge ejections slots, fill the panel lines not needed, and add the new ones. You would need to  get a vacform PR canopy, as I'm not sure that any of the Eduard Merlin kits come with one. Opening the camera ports would be easy- just need to cobble up the booster fuel pump blisters under the wings. If you went the PR XIX route, I think you would pretty much have the PR wing, but would need Merlin radiators, as the ones on the Griffon-powered Spits were bigger, IIRC. You'd still need the QB conversion for the PR Merlin bits, as well as wheels- IIRC the XI had four-spoke wheels and the PR XIX had three-spoke. Both ways would work- see which method you have the parts for or  works out to be the cheapest, I guess.

Mike

This is how I plan to do my PR Mk.XI - hopefully before too long. I have the Eduard Mk.VIII, the Quickboost conversion set (although this is meant for the Hasegawa kit and might be a bit too short). I also have the Airfix PR Mk.XIX for the windshield and cameras - but I will use the wings from the Eduard kit.

Nils

Pros of using the Airfix wing:

- Correct panel lines

- Correct aileron length

- all various blisters are included

- If using the lower fuselage too, the correct fairing for the camera windows is present

In addition the Airfix fuselage can donate the windscreen. The rest of the canopy is however different

Cons of using the Airfix wing:

- Wrong radiators

- The wing may not fit whatever fuselage is used.

Pros of using the Eduard wing with the Eduard fuselage:

- Correct radiators

- The wing will sure fit

Cons of using the Eduard wing:

- All panel lines have to be modified

- No blisters for the fuel pumps

- If using the Mk.VIII, wrong ailerons

Using the Eduard fuselage will give the right canopy but not the right windscreen. If using a Mk.VIII the fuselage has the cutout for the retractable tailwheel, the Mk.IX lacks this. Mind, other parts required may be included in the sprue anyway (they are in the 1/72 kit). Mind, not all PR.XI had the retractable tailwheel !

Both options have pros and cons, both have merit but both require some work. In any case the deeper chin must be added, be it using the Quickboost parts or scratchbuilding.

If trying to add the Airfix wings to a Mk.IX fuselage, I would also consider the ICM kit. The surface detail of the Eduard Spitfire is quite different from the Airfix one, with the ICM kit all panel lines would be a bit more similar. And with the ICM kit available at pretty low prices it may be better to butcher one of these rather than the Eduard one

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Jim,

Mike

Don't forget that Mk Vll/Vlll had short ailerons, whereas the PRXl (and for that matter PRXlX) had long ailerons.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denford said:

Don't forget that Mk Vll/Vlll had short ailerons, whereas the PRXl (and for that matter PRXlX) had long ailerons.

Now you know why I come to this site for information- yep, I completely forgot about that! Thanks for setting me straight. Myself, I'm using my Paragon conversion on one of my Eduard kits that has the retractable tail wheel.

Mike 

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the interesting and varied responses.  In the name of transparency, I have done several other conversions of fighter Spitfires turned into recce types and so I have a good idea of the mods needed; converting the wings to the D type is not hard but it is time consuming (at least the way I do it).  Your responses caused me to review the work I have previously done.

I started with the Airfix PR XIX kit and I have added a Merlin nose for the Mk IX.  For this I used one of John Adam's Aeroclub sets; it has a very nice shape but I had sanded off the surfaces and mostly lost the panel fastener detail.  I was dreading trying to replace that detail but on balance, it will not be more difficult than I can manage.  I also found that I had re-profiled the vertical fin to match the Mk IX size and shape and I'll use a pointed rudder for my build.  To my surprise I found that I had also cut down the XIX kit's radiators and modified the radiator housings to the less-deep Mk IX configuration.  In short, I put it aside at the point of adding the surface detail to the nose and then getting on with the actual build.  Wonder why I stopped!

Thanks again for the input.  No doubt the PR XI kit will surface in 1/48 scale a few months from now...

Cheers, Jim

36 minutes ago, Jim Kiker said:

In short, I put it aside at the point of adding the surface detail to the nose and then getting on with the actual build. 

56 minutes ago, Jim Kiker said:

it has a very nice shape but I had sanded off the surfaces and mostly lost the panel fastener detail.  I was dreading trying to replace that detail but on balance, it will not be more difficult than I can manage. 

A useful thing for redoing surface fasteners is a beading tool set,  I got the tip off @Basilisk 

read the link as it explains it very well

and bought some off ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-Handmade-Jewelry-Tools-Diamond-Setting-Beading-Stone-Beaders-23Pcs-Set-TO59-/262011577497?hash=item3d011b6499

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Tool Number and Size
# 0 - 0.25mm # 1 - 0.30mm # 2 - 0.35mm # 3 - 0.40mm
# 4 - 0.45mm # 5 - 0.50mm # 6 - 0.55mm # 7 - 0.60mm
# 8 - 0.65mm # 9 - 0.70mm # 10 - 0.75mm # 11 - 0.80mm
# 12 - 0.85mm # 13 - 0.90mm # 14 - 0.95mm # 15 - 1.00mm
# 16 - 1.05mm # 17 - 1.10mm # 18 - 1.15mm # 19 - 1.20mm
# 20 - 1.25mm # 21 - 1.30mm # 22 - 1.35mm

as you can see there are a wide range of sizes, so they are a worthwhile buy if you need to make, well, small circles in plastic! 

HTH

T

A year or so ago somebody used the body of Airfix PR Mk.XIX and the wings of a Hasegawa Mk.IX to create a high-back Mk.XIV. The wings of the Mk.XIX could then be used for the conversion into a Mk. XI. The Hasegawa fuselage is way too short, but the wings should be OK. Otherwise, following the link above, this link also included another link to someone who built a Mk.XI based on Falcon's vacform fuselage, which is splendid. The clear parts were included in Falcon's kit. Otherwise it can be found on Falcon's  special Spitfire sheet. I do not know how the Airfix Mk.XIX clear part will mix with any conversion. 

Palva has a vacu set of 6 spitfire canopies, including one for PR.ID, another one for PR.IG. Is PR.XI's windscreen same as PR.ID, or another series code, PR.IV?

Quickboost also released conversion set with clear resin "cameras" and a PE panel scribing template. This set even includes rarely seen wing cameras.

Here:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/212070-quickboost-qb-48-146-spitfire-pr-xi-cameras 

Edited by fernandocouto
adding a link

19 hours ago, Denford said:

The long ailerons are included in the Eduard Mk.VIII kit, if I'm not wrong. All that is required is some cutting in the wing, which should be a simple task.

Nils

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fernandocouto said:

Palva has a vacu set of 6 spitfire canopies, including one for PR.ID, another one for PR.IG. Is PR.XI's windscreen same as PR.ID, or another series code, PR.IV?

Quickboost also released conversion set with clear resin "cameras" and a PE panel scribing template. This set even includes rarely seen wing cameras.

Here:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/212070-quickboost-qb-48-146-spitfire-pr-xi-cameras 

Good question ! I have to check in my references but I have a feeling that the PR.IV and PR.XI windscreens are not exactly the same. Pictures of the PR.XI seem to show that the lower edges are made to fit the fuselage profile of aircraft with the internally armoured windscreen, while the PR.IV follows the typical profile of early Spitfires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Good question ! I have to check in my references but I have a feeling that the PR.IV and PR.XI windscreens are not exactly the same. Pictures of the PR.XI seem to show that the lower edges are made to fit the fuselage profile of aircraft with the internally armoured windscreen, while the PR.IV follows the typical profile of early Spitfires.

I believe that you are right. However, if you look at profiles,  like the one in Snowdon's Spitfire revisited, it is the same windscreen as the PR Mk.XI, but if you look at the photograph of the same airplane, it is different. I would go for the photo. Which always brings me back to my maxime: Never do anything without a photo to study.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:06 PM, Jim Kiker said:

Hi all,

Desiring to have a Spitfire PR XI in 1/48 scale, I started a build using the Airfix PR XIX kit and grafting a Merlin nose onto it.  That effort eventually stalled, and now I'm wondering if there is an easier way to do the deed.  Has anyone tried fitting the Airfix kit wing to someone else's Mk IX fuselage?  If so, what kit's fuselage?  I know Airfix did a Mk IX a few year back.  Eduard has a great Mk IX, but could it be crossed into the Airfix wing?  Are there any other alternative cross-kit possibilities?  I know there are rumors of a new PR XI kit, but I'd prefer to move along now versus waiting for a kit that may not come for some time yet.  All inputs welcome!

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

I have two of the Falcon vacform Mk. XI fuselages and I can make do with one if there is something you have to swap.

Regards.

Neil