1/72 Italeri Wessex HAR2

I take my hat off to you serious modellers. It's just taken me an hour to recess the PE mesh into the top of the tail pylon for the TRGB! It's not the neatest job but I am sure it will look better than the original raised moulding. Too tired to take piccies now, maybe tomorrow. Only another three to do on the tail section. I am also trying to incorporate a rotating sleeve in where the TRGB should be so that I can insert the tail rotor after assembly of the tail section. It may have to be a rubber sleeve like Tamiya use for car axles.

Good work so far Andy.

One question though, is that towing arm long enough?  It looks like it needs an extra section in there otherwise once its hooked up to the tailwheel the Landy is going to be in extremely close proximity to the tail AND the tail rotor!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wez said:

Good work so far Andy.

One question though, is that towing arm long enough?  It looks like it needs an extra section in there otherwise once its hooked up to the tailwheel the Landy is going to be in extremely close proximity to the tail AND the tail rotor!

Correct according to Flightpath who sell the kit. Don't forget there is no tail wheel fitted in this picture which will lift everything higher. I don't have actual dimensions of a full size one to check Flightpath's specifications but I am sure @djparkins will have done his research. (p.s. I have checked that I have used the correct measurements from the instructions.)

Edited by AndyBunney
Addition of p.s.

Piccies as promised. I have ordered a 1mm and a 3mm chisel so hopefully the next ones will be easier to get a bit neater.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by AndyBunney
New photo links added
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress to report. I have removed most of the extra weight from the inside of the RotorCraft tailcone as the tail wheel assembly is not that strong and been painting the correctly rotating tail rotor. Most of my time has been spent scratch building assorted ground equipment and a bowser to re-fuel it when it is finished. Basic structure now done so the next job I think will be the booms and hoses, ladder, top walkway and tank access panels. I am quite pleased with how it is coming along though.

vasB70Z29iunSfBE6GpRRrGdNB98aWXc7VcEDfLR

Edited by AndyBunney
  • Like 2

Spot the big boo boo!

9UH-oHRsCM1U3PkWgzUQJ8AE7wB2QfqkU0EMGJ_C

Yes, that's right I've painted it in the wrong colours. It should be green with just one red section on the ends of each blade like this.

NOSW7XTGKwrTMtqLQ3GwWZARb-NYRSowY_BKyICv

Hopefully once the paint is dry my hands will be steady enough to paint the ally leading edges and tips.

2 hours ago, AndyBunney said:

It should be green with just one red section on the ends of each blade like this.

Not necessarily - check the particular a/c you're modeling.  I specifically chose Hotel as my first Wessex purely because of the colors of the tail rotor - 3 green and one silver

PC310005.JPG&key=acb400dc2f2889e8a796b62

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Not necessarily - check the particular a/c you're modeling.  I specifically chose Hotel as my first Wessex purely because of the colors of the tail rotor - 3 green and one silver

PC310005.JPG&key=acb400dc2f2889e8a796b62

Ha ha! Like it. I am still trying to find out which was the last Wessex to leave Leconfield in 1988. That will be the one I do but so far every picture I find of 22 Sqn craft in 1988/89 show the green tail rotor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Made a bit of progress on the Wessex (in between decorating, tidying my shed, and making ground equipment and fuel bowsers)

Rotorcraft tailcone plug hollowed out and attached and the fibre-optic for the tail nav light installed. This will be cut down after painting but I don't think I will be able to get an accurate 140 degree light spread it may be nearer to 180.

qgsLUdSeLG8Ye1FVX17BsrTWIX6liB-xWOFm1u8j

Houchin and towbar are eagerly awaiting a completed Wessex though!

egkozv9mlicADFmX8jaONpGWqu8jdQ-ciQTj4p46

• Like 6

Tail rotor is also finished

kTcpjf5DhrrONYuQ_rfz_ocb1Jm_Nh6K1sThics3

Main rotor coming along nicely too

e1ijnqzDIF1QO4NQDdTCyovDdjDfeld7-Kuu7Zaw

Another view of the tail nav light

LMeHxk114o8tsbOsTI1WcQSJGmxHsijx7g8u9xFa

As I am going to have working nav lights and a Houchin attached, I decided I would put a pilot in the cockpit. I have 4 from my Airfix Sea King kits but I realised that they would not fit without modification as there was no room for a cyclic between his legs.

Taking a knife to the pilot I removed his right leg (not the first time I have considered removing an appendage from a member of aircrew but that's another story!) A bit of filing and the leg was repositioned and glued back on. Left hand seat to do next but no crew going in this. I am thinking about folding the seat up but the jury is still out on that.

nQkMYDM7lf5Rwv5CGPUjzO3pNzwb3WO2QNDvcuxA

Made a ladder for the bowser as well

o6Pa4reQaWWmRYPXVIz-tWHsHChYz4p0UNsAAWVT

• Like 6

• 4 years later...
On 9/12/2023 at 9:37 AM, perdu said:

I can remember this thread but not the great pictures which went with it Andy.  Any chance of repairing the links especially as there is so much Wessex love round here these days?

I don’t know why the pictures have gone. If I click on them then click the question mark button that appears, the pictures are visible.

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2023 at 6:56 PM, perdu said:

I tried to click on the dots but it still held the pictures off dammit

Try again and let me know

1 hour ago, AndyBunney said:

Try again and let me know

Still nothing showing Andy, you might be seeing them from your own cache perhaps.

If you are referring to the pictures in the thread, I just read through it and almost all are visible to me (on a desktop computer).  Just the links in the post right before the Bedford refueler are not working.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 8:20 AM, heloman1 said:

As a Wessex buff, I'd really like to look at your photos but they don't appear to be available, it there a reason?

Colin the Wessex...

I think most of them should be visible now 

• Thanks 1

Now I've got the pictures working again I suppose I ought to get on with the Wessex. I have had a long break from modelling and have been easing myself back into it finishing off a Gazelle, J3 Cub, Land Rover and trailer, MF50 aircraft tug and continuing with all the ground equipment bits and bobs for my diorama. Any day soon I might actually do some more on the Wessex. Then 2 Sea Kings to start but not for a while. Here's a piccy of the Landy & trailer.

spacer.png

And the MF50

spacer.png

• Like 3