1/72 Italeri Wessex HAR2

Just measured the protrusion and it is somewhere between 2.5 and 3mm so between 7 & 8.5 inches in full scale old money. I remember spending a long time with my head in there complete with bone dome searching the ground for wreckage of a missing light aircraft. I think we are not too far off being right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyBunney said:

One of the tail rotor blades hadn't glued properly and snapped off! I shall have to be very careful when painting and installing the rotor. 

Is the blade root plastic sufficiently thick to bore a hole for a thin length of wire as a pin to secure it? You might knock a blade again, but it would probably bend rather than break.

45 minutes ago, perdu said:

Well that looks pretty damned good to me, did you have fun?

I always love trying stuff that I haven't tried before

👍

Thanks Bill. I guess it was beginner's luck! First one had a wrinkle in one corner but I got lucky 2nd time round. I'm not surprised you don't want to mass produce them though. It's 35 years since I did any modelling as a teenager and all pretty much standard out of the box stuff so a lot of what I am doing now is all new to me. I am having fun though but don't see myself ever getting up to the standard of many on here.

Edited by AndyBunney
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Is the blade root plastic sufficiently thick to bore a hole for a thin length of wire as a pin to secure it? You might knock a blade again, but it would probably bend rather than break.

Probably if you have very steady hands and good eyesight so that counts me out😂

4 hours ago, AndyBunney said:

I think it might protrude a little bit too much

I think you are right - just a little too much, but as Scimitar states, if it's glued in - leave it.  It looks good.   Nice work for a first try!

• Thanks 1

Unless you superglued it I can't see a problem with pushing it into the recess a tad more until you are happy with it

And if you're already happy, great

I hope you saved lots of the new Christmas based raw materials

😉

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

Unless you superglued it I can't see a problem with pushing it into the recess a tad more until you are happy with it

And if you're already happy, great

I hope you saved lots of the new Christmas based raw materials

😉

It isn't glued in yet so I can hopefully get it almost spot on. It will be more accurate than Italeri's tail cone anyway! Hopefully I can find the actual dimensions from a 1:1 for how far out it bulges but from memory it must be about 8" or so.

• Like 1

Now I have a dilemma! been looking at pictures of XT604 at E.Midlands in the walkaround section and it too has a bubble window in the cargo door! As I have decals for this aircraft do I have to make another or has this been added after removal from service?

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Sorry Bill this quote kept coming up and I don't know how to remove it so I just deleted the content.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I get that happening too at times

What I do usually is close out of the topic and read something else before coming back and taking the option to clear the remarks box

That usually does the trick

I wouldn't worry about moulding a new bubble, you know what to do now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scimitar said:

Not unless you really want to!

1091814-large.jpg

And now I have seen XV720 with a bubble in the cargo door as well! Wish I could remember if we had any at Leconfield! Think I will just toss a coin!

MTiB_AhZNp-vuWJmuerqxrlGhqP18PECEzapYkzN

• Like 1

Anyway, while I make my mind up about the great "cargo door bubble window debate", A bit of progress on the interior. The kit comes with 5 seats on the port side (already painted in blue) but I can fit 8 in. Obviously some scale errors here as I think 9 was the actual number which could be fitted to the port side, 5 to the starboard side behind the door and 2 in front of the door. I stand to be corrected of course though. I think I can get 1 in front of the door and 4 behind it on the stbd side as well.

6NYN7p9FX6H2MuQ9k2enukowZA5FbUvPEOt4TGlW

I think the wet-fit floor and seats are pretty close for colour too.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 5:36 PM, hendie said:

oops!  I made a boo boo.  On the 1/72 version I used flat windows, oh the shame!

In my defense I shall state that the 1/72 version was supposed to be an OOTB build showing warts and all of Italeri's efforts.  It seems I also used superglue to stick them in place so it's not coming out now!

Looks like I might be making a few of these now. Do you want one to stick over the original flat window?

4 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Just one in front of door.

I assume you've seen this?

Are you going to sort the seat backs?

Thanks. I thought it was only 1 fwd of the door but had seen several pics of a double seat there.

Yes I have seen that very informative post by @Tramatoa It will prove very usefull I am sure.

Seat backs will be cut and joined same as bases.

Got the steps moved to the correct positions but one of the small lower steps pinged out of my tweezers across the shed (6' x 10') never to be seen again. No problem, I thought, I have spares in the CH34. No I don't! they don't have them! I will just have to make one. So.............................. Which is mine and which is Italeri's? Thrown a bit of black at them too, this will be tidied up and masked with Maskol before spraying the fuselage.

Yl1zQagvgEcm-qsmRWVZZjw9bO0vUkbqLhp23leW

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Are you going to sort the seat backs?

Ah, I see what you mean about the seat backs. They do not have the netting effect as in the kit. I might just use poetic licence and leave them as they will hardly be visible and actually, even though incorrect, give a bit of detail to the interior. The seat leg diagonals are also wrong but again I think they can stay.

4 hours ago, AndyBunney said:

Looks like I might be making a few of these now. Do you want one to stick over the original flat window?

thanks for the offer Andy, but I'm good.   I've got the equipment here to vac form windows if I decide to retrofit my 1/72 one

• Haha 1

Very little activity in the shed over the past week or so as I have had a bad cold and couldn't stop sneezing! Not good when working with tiny 1/72 pieces. I have done quite a bit on the diorama base though.

There is no going back now though! Cut the tail off the UH34 fuselage halves ready for the longer cone to be fitted. I think I will leave the original cone in place on the front halves till after the floor and beetleback are on and the halves joined together as the locating pins are on the bit I need to remove.

rUHtpjlf94Cg_BUe2BO3lDwiPiMaWGjLh7XP6B34

I have also been modifying seats and now have a full row down the port side (1 less than in real life due to another scale error from Italeri.) I will only be able to get 4 on the stbd side behind the door as well instead of the correct 5 (and 3 that the kit includes)

c1Hbkas4aWhrhd2ep_nNuQprsg3D3_Ut90V2IMvE

• Like 2