1/72 Italeri Wessex HAR2

Yes you read the title correctly and yes I know that Italeri don't do an HAR2 BUT.............................Having bought an Italeri HU5, knowing that the windows were wrong, I was going to do an almost out of the box build but paint it yellow and add the Modeldecal 095 22 Sqn decals. I made a start and just like @hendie wasn't entirely happy with a few bits. My build will be much more standard than Hendie's but the interior layout supplied was not how I remember it. The starboard side seats in the kit stop short of the cargo door and there is no winchman's seat at the front. As the windows are also wrong I bought a UH34J Sea Horse to pinch the fuselage halves and hopefully some additional cabin seating. As pointed out by @Scimitar I will also have to correct the direction of rotation of the tail rotor. Fuel filler points and access steps will also be corrected but apart from that this should be an "out of the box" build. (Didn't Hendie say that about his too?)

Oh sod it! Might as well add the Rotorcraft tail cone as well! (6mm they say. Is that all? Well that is 17" when scaled up, not to be sniffed at!) Looking at it I think it also includes the aft re-fueling point so that's a bonus.

Now about that bubble window....................... The Sea Horse just has flat windows. Can I cut a bit out of the HU5 window middle and join the halves back together? Has anyone ever tried anything like that with any success? Anyone got a spare square bubble window lying around?

Anyway, whilst I wait for the UH34 to arrive I have made a start on a Wessex towing arm.

U0LGvsE20YPcDJM1_iSs7ipgqtKKaplLJ33qhjUj

This is from Flightpath's 1/72 RAF Diorama set and includes dimensions to fit various different aircraft.

Meantime the ground equipment and MT sections are starting to take shape with a completed Houchin and Tactical Bowser, another Houchin nearly finished and the Bedford TK mk 6 Bowser starting to take shape.

6HwsM9FC1Kfx1vBFYK0tHw2pSi6LicCk84bIAYSl

• Like 11

I'll be following this one too. 

Regarding the bubble windows, could you try some UV curing glue? Over on this build HERE on Britmodeller (I've no idea how to link to it to produce the fancy box?...), on page 5 Bill has used this glue to produce light lenses. Looking at them, they could almost pass as bubble windows, with a bit of trial  and error. Get the correct size, stick it on to the smooth window and really, no one would tell the difference? It'll be just as see through as the thick clear plastic kit part would be anyway.

Jeff

• Like 1

oops!  I made a boo boo.  On the 1/72 version I used flat windows, oh the shame!

In my defense I shall state that the 1/72 version was supposed to be an OOTB build showing warts and all of Italeri's efforts.  It seems I also used superglue to stick them in place so it's not coming out now!

• Haha 3

I'll be following this thread as I've got a couple of these in the stash, however, not being a Sleep And Rest chap I'll be doing mine in proper colours as an SH HC.2!

• Like 1

I used a length of wooden clothes peg carved into the required bubble shape to pull mould the windows on mine

Well used clothes pegs carve to shape delightfully.

When to shape the surface can be polished smooth if you use a dollop of cyano glue that has been allowed to dry, it takes a shine easily

This one has two bulged windows following me finding pictures of this oddity on the net

(Usually the bulged window is only on the port side, I know but when I saw the photo it had to happen didn't it?)

😱

SAR-Wessex-SAR-kit22-012.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, AndyBunney said:

Can I cut a bit out of the HU5 window middle and join the halves back together? Has anyone ever tried anything like that with any success? 

No because it is not a round bubble.

Several builds and one conversion set have got this wrong.They made a square window with a round bubble in the middle.

The actual window curves more from top to bottom than it does at the sides with the curve starting at the frame edge.

EDIT: @perdu has the shape correct in that rarely seen door window.

See here.

1510090-large.jpg25184301047_5c39467ab6_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

oops!  I made a boo boo.  On the 1/72 version I used flat windows, oh the shame!

In my defense I shall state that the 1/72 version was supposed to be an OOTB build showing warts and all of Italeri's efforts.  It seems I also used superglue to stick them in place so it's not coming out now!

You could always try the uv glue idea that Jeff suggested.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, perdu said:

I used a length of wooden clothes peg carved into the required bubble shape to pull mould the windows on mine

Well used clothes pegs carve to shape delightfully.

When to shape the surface can be polished smooth if you use a dollop of cyano glue that has been allowed to dry, it takes a shine easily

This one has two bulged windows following me finding pictures of this oddity on the net

(Usually the bulged window is only on the port side, I know but when I saw the photo it had to happen didn't it?)

😱

SAR-Wessex-SAR-kit22-012.jpg

I think you need to go into production @perdu I am sure you would get a few takers. Me for one.

Looking at the pictures Scimitar has posted, I don't think the UV glue idea would work. It may be better suited to those window types that have a bubble moulded into the middle of a flat panel.

Jeff 

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scimitar said:

No because it is not a round bubble.

Several builds and one conversion set have got this wrong.They made a square window with a round bubble in the middle.

The actual window curves more from top to bottom than it does at the sides with the curve starting at the frame edge.

EDIT: @perdu has the shape correct in that rarely seen door window.

See here.

You are so right! Just looked at the Italeri HU5 bubble, it's like a pointy ended oval! Would look terrible. Just need Bill to go into production! @perdu Come on you know you want to😉😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, perdu said:

I could post you the mutilated clothes peg

😃

That would be a start I suppose! Did you use the original window or a piece of clear styrene?

In the meantime I need to repair this poorly Walter

5cey7-YkNeKQKD4XJrzX912tEYPVKi8hYyPlgVOY

When repaired it will probably be more acurate a depiction of a Wessex than the Italeri kit!

Tail rotor direction change jig with one blade done.

8TZVxZGBCi3RAxpraKJArc_E-tjVC-kBLCVyxge1

And removed from the jig

FVLVN9VJCfUPTz4Q2N7FTM7mv6RJ1hqI7vjx7CyN

The towing arm is coming on too

Bz4VNu7Bk5qb6y2ZPe13ontUx040_AbdCDQ82lVw

6YT1fQSABtaus0htcb05MBcY84gSlD7UXsQ71IMW

Edited by AndyBunney
  • Like 10

Hi Andy, just found your build thread, I'm in, Glad to hear you will be using the ROTORcraft fus insert, it wil make all the difference to the look. When Freightdog took over some of the masters, I was promised a few plugs, nothing yet. I may just make my own!

I do like the towing arm, just the ticket.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Other than 2 of the square windows these are the only bits of the Sea Horse which I shall use, unless I break anything! I hope to get the number of seats in the rear somewhere near correct using seats from both kits cut and joined as required.

oLdDDiIhDQR_5mIHGD_0ZJCI6ru1xXFSZmO2Tq2f

I have already removed a couple of extra lumps from the stbd side

axBx3zeYqsvDVQD6kckWjlHvVATf7iYaOA_ExpCh

Home mixed blue for the seats, I think it will work ok.

HqooYu1kpXb8mZx9upcKdH_0FRhxHmMUSISw9RMI

I am not going for a detailed interior but would like it to at least look the right colour for a full SAR wet-fit. I have used Cockpit Green with Semi-Gloss Clear for the walls and mixed some Clear Green Gloss with Cockpit Green for the floor and tried it out on the HU5. I think it will work especially if I leave it slightly uneven like this to represent the flexible nature of the wet-fit.

i-iZAI_at0dUfqSQm9d6MtmyRSRu3LDUUnvyKWmb

I think I may well add a cabin roof as well.

Edited by AndyBunney
  • Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 12:17 AM, perdu said:

Yes

There's plenty of explanations on BM

Look up my Catalina or Sherpa builds for a 'How I Dun It' maybe

It is very easy 

Go for it and have fun

Had a look at your Catalina Bill, it looks great. I shall have a go at making a bubble window. Your Wessex looks fab too. Cheers, Andy.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 6:19 PM, perdu said:

😱

XT601 with the bubble window in the cargo door is actually pictured on the back of the 4+ publications book.

• Like 1

I've had a mixed day today. One of the tail rotor blades hadn't glued properly and snapped off! I shall have to be very careful when painting and installing the rotor. I also failed to remember the old adage measure twice cut once! Luckily it was only a trial on one of the HU5 fuselage halves when opening up the upper step indent to the correct width! I moved it forwards instead of rearwards!

EsTTMg_wCpoglPqnvwX_Rs3LTZgBzseagGziSfsx

Luckily the Wessex bibles came in to play

TaMYlRDrP-OHieYDidEuPHphYoRSByD2fQSEJOJy

I had looked at the plans and remembered incorrectly that the top step needed to move forwards, I only checked after I had taken the dremel to the model! Double checked and did it right on the fuselage I am using. Also need to move the lower step forward so it's rear edge is at the mark on the tape. I think I will fill the incorrect hole first.

japmusVg03LvNjjU-8bFpu-UePx4VDfCDoZEuD3L

Other success of the day is the bubble window thanks to Bill @perdu for his tutorial. First attempt went wrong but I am pretty happy with this one. What does everyone else think? @hendie @Scimitar

Hmx5HQz1sCIt3JE5sa4hq2sejtb1KtW2i1AMVfhe

Zly85D3T-cMzaBfUWLZxyH2O0Y1J-Ui1aHtkcldH

mTEMR5wSqh66M_n-EyHxkcqeXALNXUISGaJcfEIx

I think it might protrude a little bit too much but actually doesn't look as bad in real size even with reading glasses on!

Now to put it somewhere safe where the carpet monster, cat & dog can't get it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AndyBunney said:

I think it might protrude a little bit too much

Looks like it in your photo but difficult to judge. Push it back in a couple of mils if you haven't glued it,leave it if you have.

Your work spurred me into digging out a couple from the shelf of doom..looked at them and left them for moment..they're 14 and 15 in the serial starter list!.

• Like 1