Sealed up ready for spraying.

IMG44071547822482.jpg

Drying in the garage. Hopefully it won't need a second coat, this Pro-Range custom-filled paint is pretty good. After it's totally dry it'll be time to get the blu-tack 'worms' and cut up some shopping bags for camo masking.

IMG44081547822482.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good Lord Riot!  To add a little more about the external fuel tanks.  The 4-fin 1500l tanks were all gone by the time I started flying the jet in 1990.  At TWCU, our standard fit was 2 x 1500l tanks on the inboard pylons and 2 x CBLS on the shoulder pylons.  The outboards had either 1 BOZ pod + 1 Skyshadow or 2  x BOZ pods.  45 Sqn didn't use 3 tank fit for training sorties in my time on the course - if they did fit out with 3-tanks it was for something that involved "going away". The 1500l tanks were subsonic: they were limited to 550kts/M.87 normal operating or 600kts/M0.92 never exceed IRRC.

On the squadrons I flew on when I became operational, they were XV, 31, IX(B) and Ops Wg Bruggen, we tended to fly either 3-tank fit (3 x 1500l tanks) with a CBLS on the left shoulder, or 2 x 2250l tanks and 1 or 2 CBLS on the shoulders.  The 2250l tanks, as alluded to were longer and their fins potentially interfered with the tailerons, so an interim max wing-sweep was adopted - 63 wing.  Normally, with 1500l tanks we could sweep the wings to 67 degrees.

On the ground, GR Tornados were parked in 25 wing for the entire time of my service (nearly 10 years) on the fleet.  The F3 chaps used to like to swing the wings on the ground - made them look more punchy I guess!  We had a visit by some F3s one day at Bruggen in the 90s and they were winched back into the HAS and promptly swept the wings.  Unfortunately for that crew, there was ground equipment in the way and the wings smashed into this creating a bit of a palava for all concerned.  As I said, we never swept the wings on the GR.

Finally, I don't ever recall a mission that had JP233 and ALARM fitted.  The ALARMs fired during the First Gulf War were pre-production examples.  By the time the fully operational missile was in service, JP233 had bitten the dust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's fantastic @feifeitim and thanks for taking an interest - flattering to have ex-Tornado aircrew taking notice of my build. I probably saw you flying over north Norfolk in the 90s! Did you ever recall flying low level over Cley marshes and the Holt area?

I'm still deciding over the era of my model, mid-late 80s or early 90s. I would like to put under tail serials on so it might be from circa 1986/87. 

How did the GR1 compare performance-wise to the F3, was there much difference if you got 'bounced'? I guess it depended on your stores to some extent?

IMG44111548081453.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

The blu-tack has left a slight mark in places, any idea how to remove it?

There's some advice here that might help. The colour match looks great!

Edited by RichG
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

How did the GR1 compare performance-wise to the F3, was there much difference if you got 'bounced'? I guess it depended on your stores to some extent?

The F3 was much slicker than we were - bigger engines and far less drag. Normally, when we did fighter affiliation with them, they would be clean underwing whilst we were loaded up.  The 2250l tanks had crippling G limits: IIRC with fuel inside we could pull just 2.75G (if outboard stores were carried too), which would increase to 3.75G once the tanks were empty.  You were not going to out-turn very much with that sort of turn performance so we would try never to get to the stage where we were turning.  Running away in straight lines was the order of the day!

11 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I probably saw you flying over north Norfolk in the 90s! Did you ever recall flying low level over Cley marshes and the Holt area?

Oh yes!  Many times! Frequently used to coast in at Southwold, we could get a good radar fix there. We would then make our way either up towards Blakeney and then into Donna Nook range or we would stay further south and pop into Holbeach.  Halcyon days!😊

Never flew a bird with the serials under the tailerons - the serials were on the lower rear fuselage by the time I arrived.

• Like 4

For this model I'm hoping to try out weathering for the first time. A lot of Tornados have dirty tail fins from the reverse thrust, and general usage.

How do you apply it? Is this stuff the best to use for this kind of kit and paint, or any other suggestions? Can I just apply it like paint or does the kit need some prep?

IMG44171548155572.png

I made my own colour for the thrust reverser buckets, based on a few photos. I used Humbrol 29 (dark earth), 11 (silver) and 56 (aluminium) to give a kind of burnt metal look. Once my dark wash arrives I'll wash it over the airframe, with plenty around the jetpipes and tail. That's the plan anyway, I've never tried it before!

IMG44191548282644.jpg

Here's another first, trying to make the fin and jetpipe area look grimey. The Flory dark wash is good stuff, though it does seem to leave streaks, and I had to brush off the bubbles, but the dirty shade seems ok.

IMG01191548350988.jpg

IMG01201548350988.jpg

• Like 2

Radome sprayed satin black.

IMG01581548498212.jpg

It needed a bit of filler and sanding where the probe section joins, and along the side fuselage join. Quite pleased with the colour though, they definitely look more satin than gloss.

The streaks underneath are realistic, can be a bit redder for the hyd oil that leaked. Have seen swirls on the fin where the linies have tried to clean it off using kimwipe and avtur 🙂

Edited by Jackster
spelling
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Looking fantastic!

Regarding wing sweep on the ground I remember having read aboit a CoG issue on.thd shorter GRs!... 

The wings on the GR1s were swept fully forward on the ground due to there being a fuel tank in the fin (only on the RAF jets and maybe Saudi ones) which held 440kg of fuel! And when full would sit the jet on its jetpipes if the wings were swept back. The Germans and Italians didn’t have this problem! The F3s being longer didn’t have this problem either!

• Like 2

The airbrake bays looked a bit sparse so I used some old bits of spares and copper wire to bring them to life a bit. I'll paint these bits white then give them a dirt wash after.

IMG44391548694076.jpg

The gun ports need a bit of gentle sanding to fit properly.

IMG44371548694075.jpg

• Like 1